Why I ride a motorcycle

Unrelated topics chat. Feel free to discuss politics, technology, religion, post jokes, etc and so on.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash

Why I ride a motorcycle

Postby dickl » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 am

whyride.pdf
(689.02 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
I came across this on another forum; for me it sums it up well. Safe riding everyone!
dickl

Re: Why I ride a motorcycle

Postby Blurredman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:38 am

Whilst I do agree that riding a motorcycle is fun, and parts of the essay do correlate with what I feel, riding in the UK with all the traffic is not the same as riding in the States or Europe mainland where riding is far far more enjoyable. :roll:

What's more, although I do ride a motorcycle, I'm not sure I enjoy it as much as other people. For me it's kinda just... cheap transport. Mindset also comes into it 8) 8) 8)

Just my two farthings. :twisted:
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 am

I used to be a motorbike courier, and believe me no one in their right mind, would operate a two wheeled anything in all weather's. Unless they were very well paid.
Its a law of averages, the more you drive a two wheeler, the more you will crash (be that through running out of road, talent) or other objects or motorists that share the same surface.
Most of my memories are filled with the fun and camaraderie of fellow two wheeled joy/sufferers, as a motley crew, all being happy/soaking wet in unison. But the atmosphere whistling through your over clothes is fantastic, and to be paid for all that joy/suffering.

Is worth it. Yes, why of course it is. I don't want to get old and a many auld cun7, wear a cut-off denim jacket and a piss pot on my bald pate with 3d slit starshades on, get load of dabbitys (tattoo's), grow a beard, look like a saddle tramp, in my grave (or hospital ward) bed again.
Young man's game though, as my reactions are not much use today, as all combustion engine/electrical vehicles need a fast reacting brain and limbs. I have neither. Still enjoy an occasional trip down memory lane on my pushbike (downhill) that's as fast as I go with no tin protection. Just cruise about today, in my Citroën, with my USB stick playing Thin lizzy on my I. C. E.
Last edited by Gerryman Ts125 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
`I stink therefore I have a old bikers jacket that`s alive`
Gerryman Ts125

Postby Blurredman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:33 am

Gerryman,
Was also a courier for a little while, and what's more with my various trips abroad, sometimes the most hateful thing I can think of is how depressing it was being cold and wet, when it was only going to get worse, and you still have 150, 200 miles to go. That takes out the magic.

But for every down, there's an up- Despite riding over the mountains in snow to Sarajevo and feeling quite low many times in such adventures, there are indeed some enjoyable times, experiences and fun. On that particular trip, watching the road signs that displayed the temperature, I was getting gradually stronger and better as I saw the temperature increase by just 1 degree Centigrade for every day I rode North. But seeing the landscape, on other occasions, on a nice warm evening, getting ever closer to Belgrade, enjoying a beer on the way, and the clear enough roads.. those are the days...
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Why I no longer ride a motorcycle

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:49 am

Drove company bikes for Pony Express, and my own. Most of the other company's, I was self employed with, I drove my own bike with. I always had a spare bike (used the same plate and panels :evil: ) Maintainance happened at the weekend. Drove in all weather's, when you drive out of any city centre, the roads are yours to enjoy. Getting wet was depressing though. But made it through without popping my own cork. But did get mangled, in the end up. But as I had saved plenty and paid off my half of our mortgage. I just lay in my bed, and recovered. Happie days. Would pay just to do them again. But such is life. 'Life's rich tapestry' .
Gerryman Ts125

Postby Guesi » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:49 am

That is why I like driving motorcycles:
WP_20180704_13_24_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20180702_12_50_44_Pro.jpg
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Andy_C » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:27 pm

Really like that article - I can see a lot of "me" in it.

I am not one of those blokes that started out wanting to ride a motorcycle, it was not until I got my moped in 1976 and then passed my test in 1978 that I realised there was something about riding a motorcycle.

A motorcycle was my only mode of transport for quite a few years, which meant I rode in the wet, snow, ice, wind - you name it I did it, each one being a seperate challenge.

In my teens / early 20 I went through the too fast tolive / too yong to die phase wearing my studded leather jacket and hanging out with the "alternative" culture.

As the years passed riding a bike became a hobby, so I could chose who I hang out with, when and where I rode, and these days it is more about the ride, rather than what you ride.

Nothing beats getting out on the road on a bright summers morning when the air is cool, and the roads deserted, likewise the feeling of freedom you can still enjoy on todays crowded roads.

I have had over 40 years riding a wide range of bikes, and would not change any of it, it has been a great journey and hopefully a few more years left in me yet.

Plan to keep an MZ into my retirement / old age - it's just a fun / lightweight to ride, I suspect that as I get older and my strength diminishes the MZ wil stay with me, there will come a time when I have to say goodbye to my heavier bikes - I just hope I recognise when that is, but I intend riding bikes for a long as I am able to.

Every ride is different, each one bringing some kind of new experirnce, and a new memory, guess that riding just gets into your soul...........get yer motor runnin'...........
Andy_C

Postby Puffs » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:59 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:09 am

Right, it is in Italy. Ligurian Alps.....
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 am

Puffs wrote:Motorcycle riding is an integral part of me. Has been so since I was quite young, and I do not plan to stop. Ever. Hooked I am.

Also in the UK I think there are very nice places for a good ride. I don't know about the south, but in Scotland there are; I guess it has to do with population density and the terrain? Of course where I live now, here in the Ardennes, it's an excellent for riding, both on & off road.

Yes, in winter time it can get very cold.

Most places that are remote, they are good for riding. If you do it alone, the roads, the machinery, your luck will run out.
In Scotland, the roads are lethal if you don't understand simple physics. Many a tourist or Mad Mac's (covered in a tin can or not) dies the further you stray from a cellphone signal.

Up here, that's outwith a main city motorway system or hilled area. But as scenic as fuc&, the further you travel up. When it's not been raining in a landslip area, then you have to contend with wild/farm animals, giant boulders, trees, no road!!!!!!! Drivers even crash tourist coaches into tourist coaches up in these North U. K. Andes.
Gerryman Ts125

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm

i do not ride very often where the trees can jump out in front of me

here where i live i have ridden most roads...
but driving school bus . i found several i did not know about
part of the land in my county was surveyed by George Washington
so some of the roads are very old like 1765

one place the valley is so narrow the road is called ROAD RUN as the cars drive up the run/stream/
they put a drain pipe in the gravel stream bed it works like a low water bridge
when it rains a lot you don't use the very long gravel road
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:58 am

It's not so much the trees or the tourists, but rather the killer sheep of the highlands:
Killer sheep.jpg
Killer sheep.jpg (9.67 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

That, and those infernal stone walls.
Puffs

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Wolves in sheepskin coats are quite lethal. But how do they button them up??? :wink:
Gerryman Ts125

Return to Off Topic