MZ Moto2 Race Team!

Unrelated topics chat. Feel free to discuss politics, technology, religion, post jokes, etc and so on.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash

MZ Moto2 Race Team!

Postby guitarzan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 pm

Here's the latest news from MotoGP.com:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/MZ+moto2+confirms

I know it's not a REAL MZ, but they're flying the colors, and Anthony West has been pretty fast in testing.
All they need now are some umbrella girls, and some street bikes to sell once again.
Not holding my breath, but fingers are crossed...

I look forward to seeing the MZ Moto2 racer at Indy this summer!

guitarzan

Re: MZ Moto2 Race Team!

Postby billr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:28 pm

guitarzan wrote:
I look forward to seeing the MZ Moto2 racer at Indy this summer!

I may have to get interested in racing again.
Putting Indy on my calendar and try to make the show.
Let's hope this endeavor can put some "umph" back in MZ and get it rolling again.
Bill
billr

Postby Anders » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Since all teams will use the same Honda built Moto2 inline four, 600cc engine it will probably make for good racing where rider and chassie building skills will be the winning recipie.

Its an affordable way for small makes to display their brand and skills but it will never be as easy on the ears as Supermono racing :wink:

22472_6.jpg

Another article: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-rac ... /9002.html
In my garage:
Honda VTR 1000F -00
Orion-29 125cc, Midsize
49cc Bike engine kit toy
Yamaha SRX-6 -86
MuZ Skorpion 660 -95
Polaris 6x6 Big Boss

Nordic SRX/MuZ/SZR forum
Anders

Postby guitarzan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, I'd much rather see and hear an ultra trick fuel injected Skorpion blasting around. Very partial to thumpers myself.
Unfortunately, the market prefers multis.
guitarzan

Postby guitarzan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Let me know if you're riding (or bringing) your MZ to Indy for the MotoGP. It would be nice to see a few MZ's at the race this year, maybe parked in a strategic spot.
guitarzan

Postby Anders » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 am

Well the Moto2 season kicked off this weekend in Jerez, Spain. Caught some of the practice and qualification action on TV.

The MZ bike looks the part, they now use a smart looking trellis swingarm instead of the black box swingarm seen on the pictures above.

Unfortunately Anthony West only managed to qualify 39:th, 3 seconds off the pace in a grid of 41 on a 2 minute lap.

Hopefully they will improve over the season but it is unlikely that MZ will be a top contender this season at least. Then again, practice and racing are two completely diffrent things so he might do better in todays race...

On another note, it seems the only team in Moto2 with a direct tie-in to a motorcycle manufacturer is MZ and even this is a stretch given the current status of MZ production...

Moto2 official site: http://www.motogp.com/en/Moto2
In my garage:
Honda VTR 1000F -00
Orion-29 125cc, Midsize
49cc Bike engine kit toy
Yamaha SRX-6 -86
MuZ Skorpion 660 -95
Polaris 6x6 Big Boss

Nordic SRX/MuZ/SZR forum
Anders

Postby guitarzan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah, I watched the race when it was re-broadcast on Speed TV Sunday night. Wow, 41 bikes at the start! A mad scramble for the first turn.
Anthony West managed to improve his position about 10 spots before going down in the early part of the race. He'll definitely need to work on qualifying to have a chance up front. I like the new format, though the lack of actual manufacturers (besides Bimota) gives fans little to identify with. Brand loyalty is a key element in motor racing. When the winning rider is on a bike with the same brand as the spectator, the spectator says "We won"! :smt005
guitarzan

Return to Off Topic