Getting my knee down!

Unrelated topics chat. Feel free to discuss politics, technology, religion, post jokes, etc and so on.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash

Getting my knee down!

Postby Dezmo » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:41 pm

Hella Yella, coming ta getcha!
Dezmo

Postby phlat65 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:21 am

WOW!! thats an amazing machine, it can go around a left hand turn leaning right..... :smt044
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby keithcross » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:41 pm

Its called countersteer and yes the man is definatlly a pimp :P

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby amon goeth » Mon May 23, 2005 9:14 pm

goddamn a firing machine !
quench my thirst with gasoline !
amon goeth

Postby kilou78 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:37 am

seems Buell uses the same way to catch future customers all over the world... :-D

here at the Paris motor show -2005

kilou78

problems

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:27 am

i see 2 problems with the bike pictured above it has a V-twin motor and its a harley motor
:smt040 ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: problems

Postby cat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:10 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:i see 2 problems with the bike pictured above it has a V-twin motor and its a harley motor

yeah, you got it. :) and a drainpipe exhaust. they're a good..attempt at a ready-made "custom" streetfighter type Harley, though. to get them really good, though - afaik - you need to replace most of the engine with SS parts and so on. - even the crank.
cat

Re: problems

Postby keithcross » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:32 pm

cat wrote:
DAVID THOMPSON wrote:i see 2 problems with the bike pictured above it has a V-twin motor and its a harley motor

yeah, you got it. :) and a drainpipe exhaust. they're a good..attempt at a ready-made "custom" streetfighter type Harley, though. to get them really good, though - afaik - you need to replace most of the engine with SS parts and so on. - even the crank.

Fair enough, but the standard crankcase is really reliable and strong - mostly :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby keithcross » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Not wanting to knock Harley too much but

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of New Forest road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that say "MAX SPEED 40 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down a steep hill. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the very last moment. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was with him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the valley, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him when I looked over my shoulder.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles
before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the valley and I had preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

Keith
keithcross

i wondered

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 pm

i always wondered where they shipped the harley hummer my dad had
when he sold it (exported it used to the uk in a us air force officers household goods ) :-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Hey David,
I thought that your dad sold it cause the engine was frozen from sitting in his barn for what 40-50 years? :-D
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:08 pm

I'm surprised that Mr. Cross (the elder) didn't save that Harley for it's strong cases! :smt040
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby simon duval smith » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:47 am

Yes, Keith, I know what you mean.
I recently had a similar experience, damn near wore out my new Nike running shoes getting past the Harley and its fat, gay, born-again-biker advertising director 'rider', and nearly slipped on all the oil that pissed out from its sweating 'engine' - I believe they call it.
I shall take your example and bring my 1950 Claud Butler fixed wheel to the fight next time - I don't imagine I shall need gears really...
Simon
2005 Baghira
simon duval smith

Postby keithcross » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 am

Well the satistics say it all really.
They reckon 95% of Harleys are still on the road. But the other 5% made it home OK :)

Keith
keithcross

Return to Off Topic