Still here somewhere

Unrelated topics chat. Feel free to discuss politics, technology, religion, post jokes, etc and so on.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash

Still here somewhere

Postby Windmill » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi all, just wanted to say I've not done a runner since I got the last bits for the skorp through this forum. I'm still on it but other half was very unwell earlier in the year and we've now also been flooded out! You wouldn't know it from the media who have concentrated on other areas but the flood defences breached at the back of our properties in Barrow Haven, Lincs when the East Coast got it.......... Loads of damage to many properties here but no-one hurt so a good result considering. Was well insured thankfully but others here weren't, we are doing what we can for them and others are now coming into the area with donations ie cleaning stuff, food etc, bless them all. This isn't a scammy send us stuff by the way, just thought I'd explain my absence. It's likely to continue for a while as we are to be out of our house for 6-9 months, We now have a 1 bed cottage to renovate in 3 weeks so we can move in and hand over the house to builders etc. Was always well relaxed about flooding but the reality is much worse than you think, especially when septic tanks are mixed with the flood water :evil: Anyway, will be back sometime next year with more questions I should think, have a damaged front brake piston which is sticking will have to find somewhere to get one when I have time. In the meantime here is a pic of my new swimming pool :roll: if I can get it to work...........
Attachments
Floodemail.jpg
Windmill

Re: Still here somewhere

Postby therealche » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Glad you have kept your sense of humour anyway! Here's hoping you and yours can have a bearable Xmas, and let's face it... 2014 has got to be an improvement.
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby Windmill » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:33 am

Thanks Mate, yes and have a good Xmas & New Year to all here. Mine will be spent working on cottage but we have promised ourselves a proper one after we move in! Bikes were untouched thankfully too so it's not all bad 8) :D :D 8)
Windmill

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:14 pm

flooding is a pain
i live almost on top of a hill
the street dept sewer works or gas guys dig things up..
then it rains and i get 2 inches of muddy water in my basement from
the way they routed the ditch

so no one is safe
the last time cost a fortune to get the water to flow past my house rather than threw the basement
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby billr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:10 am

Windmill wrote: It's likely to continue for a while as we are to be out of our house for 6-9 months, We now have a 1 bed cottage to renovate in 3 weeks so we can move in and hand over the house to builders etc. Was always well relaxed about flooding but the reality is much worse than you think, especially when septic tanks are mixed with the flood water :evil: Anyway, will be back sometime next year with more questions I should think, have a damaged front brake piston which is sticking will have to find somewhere to get one when I have time. In the meantime here is a pic of my new swimming pool :roll: if I can get it to work...........

We went through the same thing in 2010...getting ready for work one morning, "hey look, the river will be out of the banks again." (gets up to the banks every spring, occasionally over the top)...wound up with 5 feet of water in the living room...talked with a gentleman who had lived here all his life...never seen that much water and he was 85.
Thank goodness for flood insurance and wonderful neighbors that found us a place to live right in the neighborhood.
We were back in the house in 6 months.
Hope all goes well.
Bill R.
billr

Postby Windmill » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks Bill & Dave, just back in from cottage, plastering rewiring etc and organising central heating to be fitted asap. Yes, flooding isn't as simple to deal with as you imagine but no-one was hurt which is the main thing. Likewise chap over the road from us had lived here 68 years and it had never flooded his house before.....it was exceptional circumstances they say, but I think it's more to do with lack of maintenance of the banks myself :evil: .

Anyway, quick bite and go back to do some more....at least it isn't snowing yet :roll:
Windmill

Postby Tony the Skin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:51 am

Good luck. Reading between the lines you seem to be a man of considerable steel.
Tony the Skin

Postby Windmill » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks Tony, only problem is that with all the saltwater - it's going a bit rusty........ :oops: need a few gallons of Kurust :lol:
Windmill

Postby Baggy_Al » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Sounds like you have had better years, I can relate to that this year too, hope the tide has gone out from your garden and the house is put back to as new, it can only be better next year (I hope).

Al.
Shiny Silver 2000 BMW R1100S Sport.
2003 Baggy Black Panther.
Baggy_Al

Postby Windmill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks Al, next year has to be better - it better be :? Hope your year wasn't as bad as ours (violins) but seriously hope yours turns for the better too. Tide has gone out but end of the week looks dodgy, so fingers crossed it doesn't come over again. EA have plugged holes in the banks, we shall see how well!

Just ended the day shift, plastering hat on today, bloody hate it................another two days should see it all skimmed though. Wiring all done, door frames in, pointing done,windows finished and other stuff I've forgotten. All the floors to tile next and then heating to go in, getting plenty of variety anyway and losing a bit of weight, the skorp will like that :lol: Right, hot tub & bed and then up for the next shift......wish I was getting paid cos there'd be plenty of overtime :roll:
Windmill

Postby billr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Windmill wrote:...getting plenty of variety anyway and losing a bit of weight, the skorp will like that :lol: Right, hot tub & bed and then up for the next shift......wish I was getting paid cos there'd be plenty of overtime :roll:

Nothing like doing something different for a change. My Traveller would feel better is I were a bit more svelte, myself... :P
I feel your pain about the overtime...shame you can't pay yourself.
Good luck and stay safe.
:smt006
Bill
billr

Postby Windmill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks Bill, only online now as just had urgent phone call.............they have only gone and issued another flood warning for 7.45 tomorrow night :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Oh ............(fill in the dots) Better go and get the sandbags out again!!!!! Oh well, worse things happen at sea........come to think of it that's too close to the truth :roll: Nice knowing you guys :smt006 :cry: Be on here again later tomorrow night hopefully........to be continued
Windmill

Postby therealche » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 am

Hope you have kept your head above water again!
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby Windmill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes , thanks....the alert was upgraded to warning by EA so I made and fitted flood doors, sandbagged etc. Council opened Village hall, food drinks and volunteers to help if needed, all ready for same again :( So it came up within literally 2 inches of breaching the bank but then receded :roll: Lots of people at this point feeling relieved but suddenly deflated if you know what I mean........ I'm leaving the flood doors on until June...........having said that the highest "spring" tide here last year was in August :lol: I give up!
Windmill

Postby iceman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 am

I was just reading this article- stay safe!

UK Experiences Worst Winter Storms in Decades!

Great Britain has experienced multiple deaths and dangerous flooding resulting from what most are calling the worst Winter storms the UK has experienced in decades.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/up ... 10745-5471
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Next

Return to Off Topic