ES Steering Bearing Locknut

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ES Steering Bearing Locknut

Postby Jamb0 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:28 pm

Has anyone in the UK got the steering bearing lock nut from an ES that they'd be willing to let me have for reasonable compensation? It's a M32 X 1mm Pitch, 7mm depth and is nigh on impossible to get hold of.

Would be lovely if MZ had considered using standard fixing sizes instead of inventing sizes just for one model of bike :x
Jamb0

Re: ES Steering Bearing Locknut

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 am

are you sure about the 1.0 pitch that's the thread pitch of an old wv valve adjuster

i am finding bunch of 1,5 pitch in 32 no 1.0

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 am

You can buy M32 x 1mm taps and dies so it must be a standard metric fine. The nut is only 7mm thick so that`s the only way to get a reasonable number of threads in there.
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Jamb0 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:15 am

Thanks for the responses.

Yep it's definitely M32 X 1mm. It snapped while I was undoing it (to my surprise; it was stiff but was unscrewing without much resistance). I jumped on eBay and quickly found plenty of m32 nuts with a 1.5 pitch but figured I'd just check with a thread pitch guage before ordering, which is when I realised I should have left it to soak in wd40 before going at it :oops:

I can find a couple of new old stock items from the usual European suppliers (which confirms the sizing), but since I've just put in a big order with ost2rad and had no plans to spend a silly amount on postage for a single nut, as well as Brexit now being a thing which I'm not sure as to whether that will sting even more on postage/import costs, I figured I could just put the question out there incase on the very rare chance that someone had a spare floating around that they would be willing to sell me.

I'm currently in the process of refurbing the electrics so if I'm lucky I'll discover a few more bits that need ordering which will at least slightly ease the blow on potential postage/import costs from the eu
Jamb0

Postby Puffs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 am

Ta for the info.
Indeed odd for MZ chose such an uncommon size then - or maybe it wasn't in those days. Maybe it was Honecker's ideal size...

Good luck.
Puffs

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 am

Jamb0 wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Yep it's definitely M32 X 1mm. It snapped while I was undoing it (to my surprise; it was stiff but was unscrewing without much resistance). I jumped on eBay and quickly found plenty of m32 nuts with a 1.5 pitch but figured I'd just check with a thread pitch guage before ordering, which is when I realised I should have left it to soak in wd40 before going at it :oops:

I can find a couple of new old stock items from the usual European suppliers (which confirms the sizing), but since I've just put in a big order with ost2rad and had no plans to spend a silly amount on postage for a single nut, as well as Brexit now being a thing which I'm not sure as to whether that will sting even more on postage/import costs, I figured I could just put the question out there incase on the very rare chance that someone had a spare floating around that they would be willing to sell me.

I'm currently in the process of refurbing the electrics so if I'm lucky I'll discover a few more bits that need ordering which will at least slightly ease the blow on potential postage/import costs from the eu

One on Ebay which confirms your measurements (not that i doubted you :wink: ) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Befestigungs ... SwF6dgAFuC
And another - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mz-Es-150-Nu ... Swqf5f41iw Shame about the postage costs!

The later MZs use a M32 x 1.5 stem and nut it seems.
breakwellmz

Postby Jamb0 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 pm

breakwellmz wrote:One on Ebay which confirms your measurements (not that i doubted you :wink: ) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Befestigungs ... SwF6dgAFuC
And another - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mz-Es-150-Nu ... Swqf5f41iw Shame about the postage costs!

The later MZs use a M32 x 1.5 stem and nut it seems.

Not to worry I make enough mistakes that it's only reasonable to be doubted sometimes!!

As it happens you may have just saved me (even if it was inadvertently). The top item you linked me to, I have never seen before during my trawl of eBay - you must have better searching skills than I! Now <£15 posted is a price I can work with; the issue was that I could not find anything below around £30 posted. While I didn't have a problem with the price itself, it was more the feeling that I was being robbed having to pay £30 for a single nut (naturally, knowing full well that I'd need to order something from the exact same site and pay the same postage again, less a month later) :smt005

But after all, would we really bother looking after weird 47 year old communist bikes if we didn't enjoy constant frustration and unreasonable prices for spares?
Jamb0

Postby breakwellmz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:53 am

Ha ha. Progress of a sort then. Nothing else he has that you might need to soften the p and p blow?
I think i put " MZ ES nut" in the Ebay search.
Have you checked out the UK MZ riders? - https://www.mzridersclub.com/Welcome/
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 am

Jamb0 wrote:But after all, would we really bother looking after weird 47 year old communist bikes if we didn't enjoy constant frustration and unreasonable prices for spares?

Nah, don't complain. Parts are available, and that cannot be said for other bikes/brands.
Puffs

Postby Jamb0 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 am

Puffs wrote:
Jamb0 wrote:But after all, would we really bother looking after weird 47 year old communist bikes if we didn't enjoy constant frustration and unreasonable prices for spares?

Nah, don't complain. Parts are available, and that cannot be said for other bikes/brands.

True - admittedly this was the first time I've really banged my head against the wall, more so when I could have avoided snapping the nut by being more liberal with the wd40 and leaving it overnight instead of being impatient.

For the most part MZ have been pretty good with standardised fixings, only other problem item I've come across was the armature fixing bolt, although once I figured out it was actually M7 and not m8 it wasn't impossible to find a supplier.

In other news I've had my lockdown project ES running really well for a few months now but it's in hibernation at the moment which I saw as a good opportunity to sort out the combination mains flex/corroded original wiring loom with a proper colour coded replacement. Should be able to get some photos of the bike up here soon and finally get some real riding in once it warms up.

Cheers for the help everybody
Jamb0

Return to Wanted