Early Baghira Mastiff Bottom Yoke

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Early Baghira Mastiff Bottom Yoke

Postby Guido » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 am

Hi, Does anybody have a spare early type (machined not cast) bottom yoke for a Baghira or Mastiff to sell me?
Regards
Allan
Guido

Re: Early Baghira Mastiff Bottom Yoke

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 am

Allan,

This is the first time to hear that a machined yoke was ever available.

Here's some information that might require research to get to where I think your going.

I purchased a frame for the purpose of understanding what tripple sets would fit the Baghira for the use of upside down forks.
What I found was that 1999 through 2003 YZ Yamaha head set races were the same OD as the factorys. The only differents was the longer stem for the YZ. A simple washer was made on a lath to space the upper and lower clamps apart, the bearings and tripples then bolted on as if factory manufactured.
The upper and lower clamps including stem that I used were manufactured by TAG as a set. And I'd note that after market goodness is very cheap these days.

After much thought, while considering explainations shared by others on this forum, I chose not to use the YZ fork assembly as the forks really gained me nothing when compared to stock. I've saved the tripples and forks for an older XT build for some time in the future (I'm guessing that they'll work or can be made to work with little effort.)

As stated in the beginning "...to get to where I think you're going". I've thought at times of finding after market tripples that would fit the Baghiras forks and go through the same process ending up with better bearings and using a higher quality after market head set assembly. And the best part, not expensive or difficult.

Hope this is of some value,
Robert
OLDMTNCARVER

Re: Early Baghira Mastiff Bottom Yoke

Postby Guido » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Robert,
Early Baghiras and Mastiffs I am lead to believe up until some time in 1999 used a set of yokes (Triple trees) that were machined from solid, certainly two previous machines I had both had this type, but the 2001 Baggy I had had a cast type with a machined/polished top face. I have been given a very early Mastiff totally stripped and in boxes Registered May 97. I dont think they were available till spring 98 so this has to be one of the first!
Among other damaged parts the bottom yoke has terminal damage from a heavy front impact. To rebuild the bike to its former glory I would like the right type of bottom yoke, If I cant find one then I will try to replicate using the damaged one as a pattern after all if man made it man can re-make it! but hopefully someone has a spare to spare the expense and headaches involved in remaking.
Regards Allan

Ps. I have been told that MuZ as it was, brought the prototypes to the Isle of Man TT in June 97 where at least one was destroyed by a magazine Journalist as this is where I live I may have one of these?
Guido

Return to Wanted