Adding the LATEST MESSAGE section

ANYONE(no registration necessary) can post here to comment on the site, offer suggestions, or seek help with registration process.

Adding the LATEST MESSAGE section

Postby nice2day » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:57 am

Yes another one.

Many other forums that use the phpBB software have, on their home page, a dedicated "Latest Messages" section which by default is set to show any message in ANY category stacked up by time and date. The big advantage of this is when we return to the forum we can see instantly any new message whereas, as it is now, we have to look at each section and see if any thing new has arrived. This is particularly frustrating if the message has more than one page as you need to then go to the last page and try to remember if there are any new messages you might have missed!...This is ludicrous especially, as far as I know, the facility is there in the software package and just needs to be "switched on".
I have been told by an administrator that there are no IT savvy people within the MZ club but maybe someone knows someone who could help out here if only just for setting this forum up a little better? :?

With the best intent. :)

Les
nice2day

Re: Adding the LATEST MESSAGE section

Postby Puffs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 am

I'm a bit confused by this: when I log on, the messages I haven't yet seen are clearly marked. Why isn't that good enough?
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:51 am

Hi Puffs ...very strange... I don't seem to have the same view as you are getting.

Would it be asking too much if you could take a screen shot and show me what and where you are getting this "clearly marked" showings please? Perhaps I simply have not spotted this when I browse even though I just checked again. Very much obliged Puffs.

Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 am

Comme ça:
Top one not yet read.jpg

And I get similar when looking at the Board Index: those levels below containing posts not yet read are highlighted.

I use Firefox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit), on a Vista PC.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:42 am

It's an old website, and I would have thought already fully paid up- the development team are likely long gone.. Which is a fairly common occurance.

I very much doubt these suggestions will be processed I'm afraid. When the Iinternet didn't consist of mobile phone access and 'social' interaction, the dumbing down of websites into what they are now etc.. I still frequent a forum that hasn't changed since 2002. And I like it that way :-D :-D
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 am

When you log in... look on right side of portal page there is a MENU the first item
is new posts since you were here last/// you only get it if you log in

link to portal page // ihis is where you you should be signing in

portal.php

go there and bookmark it
dave
and save every thing about your own bike you can find but do not try to copy the whole site
as that might crash the whole thing

i am 75 in September and may not be here to tell the site founder to pay the server fees
for the site in April or May some year
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby nice2day » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks Puffs ,Blurredman and David.

David's suggestion of looking at the un-read posts is useful and works so many thanks for that, maybe I'd seen this in the past and forgotten it... :|
Perhaps the last section I looked at was this one where they don't seem to be stacked date-wise?:(please click on image)
Posts not in date order.JPG

What I was suggesting though is what is available as on The VMCC site as shown below (please click on image) but the above works OK...sort of....
Not to worry then... :|

VMCC Newset Posts section.JPG

Les
nice2day

Return to Suggestion/Comments Box