Reaction to Messages Smileys

ANYONE(no registration necessary) can post here to comment on the site, offer suggestions, or seek help with registration process.

Reaction to Messages Smileys

Postby nice2day » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:32 am

Hi there all. As a member of the VMCC which uses the same software package for their Forum, may I suggest to the administrators that they could switch on the "Reaction to message Smileys". This is built in to the software and just needs to be switched on. It enables readers to give some feedback ranging form Like/Love funny/Dislike etc. These reactions can provide a useful guide and they are also a way of communicating without the need to write up the prevailing sentiment of the reader to the message/post. Most members at first thought it wasn't that good an idea but it now seems very popular...
Many thanks for reading this...By the way, if the system was currently installed, you could easily give your reaction to this suggestion... :lol:

Les
nice2day

Re: Reaction to Messages Smileys

Postby tigcraft » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:58 am

Not bad idea
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby nice2day » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:28 am

I remembered that I suggested this last year and took a look at my old message. Well didn't get an official reply but just to remind everyone, the software package as used for this MZ portal already has a built in facility so that anyone reading a message can click on a button to leave a "reaction"...This is a very nice feature and it would bring in more feedback from readers without them having to actually make a reply message. For example, I could have given a thanks to "tigcraft" above who at least made a nice comment.
To the administrators: I ask them could you switch this ON please? It can be done in seconds and costs nothing...Hopefully it will get some attention with those who do the controlling :smt026 :smt024 :smt006 :lol:
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:19 am

Yes, I too sometimes have the urge to respond to a message with something like a 'like', or a 'dislike', and the forum allowing that could be desirable in that context: a quick & easy way to make yourself heart.

But there are also several downsides to such a system. I think the most important one is that it promotes populism. Mindless gratification/rejection/reward/... without content, which can easily be misunderstood & lead to friction. Sign of the times, but there already is a Facebook. I'd say that if something deserves a reaction, it should deserve more content than just a pre-cooked smiley.
So: :smt021
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am

I know what you are saying Puffs, but not everyone who reads a message has sufficient motivation or indeed cannot add anything more constructively but they may have appreciated the message and may well be thankful for it and don't have the time to reply or maybe even feel embarrassed to . Surely just a touch more feedback makes the effort a little more rewarding to those who commit their time to this forum? One could talk to the proverbial "wall" all day long but we don't (usually). We are human and we have feelings and it's just a way of knowing what you say is indeed not just a waste of ones time. I can't see any negatives unless someone gets annoyed if they receive a dislike/negative response. One other advantage is that if the message shows several positive reactions, following forum browsers are more likely to read it (human curiosity) and it could provide confidence that the message is good and useful.

Now how would you judge the above message Puffs :D :D :D :smt006
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:17 am

:D :-D :) :-) :( :-o :shock: :-? 8) :lol: :-x :-P :oops: :smt117
If that makes you happy...
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:54 am

Well Puffs...I detect perhaps some sarcasm rather than humour in your last post...I thought we were friends... :?
By the way...I hope the chicken isn't harmed in any way...I love animals and care deeply for their well being. : :cry:

Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:29 am

No, I'm just demonstrating what I said earlier, wrt those smileys:
- very easy
- no content
- can easily be misinterpreted

Edit: It's just the first row of smileys, with the chicken added for good measure. There's no sarcasm intended, just a practical demonstration.

Yes I'd like to think we are 'friends' in a modern sort of internet way. But that does not mean that we have to always agree on everything.
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 am

change is not always good
i am older and do only 1 thing at a time.
i lost my teeth 20 years ago ..so i can not chew gum
but i can walk
but i do not walk and talk on a cell phone :smt023

note use of smile thumbs up
the thumbs up is for the fact i am alive
and the ladies are still good looking

D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:46 am

Wishing you good health David, and I think you're doing us a great service with this website - many thanks! :smt006

Yes, I agree, change is not always good. And life is not perfect. Make do is the best one can...
Puffs

Return to Suggestion/Comments Box