TS250/1 clutch problem

Place for dealers to post their websites and contact information

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS250/1 clutch problem

Postby beerbunny » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm rebuilding the engine, and it appears that the clutch is hitting and flattening out the lock washer (between the clutch centre outer thrust washer and the back of the clutch body) before it tightens onto the taper. Even after I've tightened the nut to 10nM, I can remove the clutch just by using finger-power on the extractor (after removing the nut, obviously).

If I remove the clutch centre (the toothed bit with the gear attached) and all its washers, the clutch tightens onto the taper normally and requires the use of spanners on the extractor to remove it.

What can I do about this apart from replacing the clutch and/or crankshaft (which I've just had rebuilt)? The only idea I've got is to relieve the back of the clutch body by about the thickness of the lock washer, but I'm guessing that the material from which it's made is too hard to do that easily.

BTW, the taper on both the shaft and the clutch is somewhat damaged; been some slippage, I think.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,

John Jones
beerbunny

Re: TS250/1 clutch problem

Postby djsbriscoe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 am

Hi,
First of all may I recommend you watch the following video's

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... =mz&hl=en#

This may give you some clues as to the problem.

HTH.

David.

P.S Sorry just realised your bike is a TS250/1 model. Still might be useful though.
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby beerbunny » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks David, I was already aware of those videos and I've found them very useful. Unfortunately, they don't cover my problem.

BTW, there appears to be very little difference between the TS250/1 and the ETZ250 in terms of stripping and rebuilding.

Thanks again,

John
beerbunny

Postby manumensa » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Hello beerbunny

embrague_11c.gif
Washer
embrague_11c.gif (2.97 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

"The axial clearance should be measured only when the crankshaft, the clutch plates or have sliding thrust washers to be replaced, or the clutch makes a loud noise at iddle speed".

embrague_11h.gif
Axial clearance "S" 0.05 - 0.1 mm.

Maybe need more than 10Nm, video for ETZ 251 said 90Nm.

Saludos/Regards.
The answer is blowin' in the wind...no wind no answer :(
manumensa

Postby beerbunny » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Manumensa and thanks for the suggestions; interesting diagram of the thrust washer. It isn't that, though. Martin at Burwin (London), who has a great deal of experience of the T250/1, having dealt with them since 1976 or so, thinks it's probably the clutch body, so I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive. We shall see.

My mistake with the torque setting; should have read 10kpm (98nM). Apologies
Thanks again,

John
beerbunny

Return to MZ Dealerships