New Member with Rickman MZ

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

New Member with Rickman MZ

Postby traderyoda » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am

Greetings All,

I have a rare Rickman with an ISDT 250 MZ motor in it. Restoring it now. Looking for old pics of the bike if anyone has any.

Happy for the chance to contribute to the Forum!

Cheers,
Lee
traderyoda

Re: New Member with Rickman MZ

Postby Puffs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:38 am

Welcome Lee!

That sounds very interesting - can you show us some pics please?
Puffs

Postby traderyoda » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Will do - I'll shoot some as soon as I can.
traderyoda

Postby Blurredman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:34 am

1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby traderyoda » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Here are some pics of the Rickman MZ Metisse. I've torn the bike down to gently restore the nickel plated frame which is overall in excellent condition. The motor is a 250 ISDT motor. It has great compression, but the dynamo is a wreck.

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG
traderyoda

Postby Puffs » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:05 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby traderyoda » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:20 am

Those Rickman "ankle buster" foot rests are strong but somewhat impracticable. Slippery too!

The MZ has a Rickman aluminum conical hub up front. Good unit, but not the best brake setup out there.

I won't change anything on the bike. I do need to ensure that no one removed any parts over the years though. I'm trying hard to find earlier pictures of the bike, including when it was offered on on eBay in December 2009 - hopefully someone on this Forum kept those pics.

It was built as an experimental machine for a fellow in California (Lynn Wineland) and tested in the desert to evaluate the capabilities of the motor. The exhaust is the ISDT version, but it wasn't initially shipped for England this way. I suspect the pipe Rickman installed was a poor match for the power band of the motor, so it was removed and the ISDT pipe installed; I'll leave it this way.

I suspect the electrics on this bike were never really sorted out properly. I see signs of burned out parts and the wiring harness was hanging loose. The case was left loose and a mouse ate all of the wiring on the dynamo. Perhaps the dynamo, designed for bike with lights, was never adjusted for a MX/desert racer with no lights. I'll first try to see if I can rebuild the dynamo and ensure the output is matched to the twin-coil ISDT setup. If not, I did find the VAPE setup and will go that way. I'm sure someone on this extensive site has set things up on a machine with no lights.
traderyoda

Postby Puffs » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:33 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puffs

Postby traderyoda » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 pm

I gained a lot of respect for these motors in starting to go through it. Easy to see why it did well in the ISDT.

Here's a picture of the dynamo after I cleaned it up. I'm about to pull it out.

IMG_2496.JPG

Are there any manuals for rebuilding these motors in English. I purchased a maintenance manual in German, but it doesn't cover tear down in much detail. I have a wiring diagram for the ISDT bike, but I'll have to sort out the dynamo by just learning as I go.
traderyoda

Postby Puffs » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:23 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby traderyoda » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:33 am

That's incredibly helpful - thanks!

No battery and no room in this machine. And no electronics to accompany the dynamo - just direct output sent to the dual-coil arrangement with a small capacitor bridging across each coil. A toggle switch was mounting to switch between coils.
traderyoda

Postby Puffs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:52 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby traderyoda » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 am

I'm not sure that they performed any mods on the dynamo - I'll be excited to see what I find when I pull it out!
traderyoda

Postby breakwellmz » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:25 am

traderyoda wrote:Those Rickman "ankle buster" foot rests are strong but somewhat impracticable. Slippery too!

The MZ has a Rickman aluminum conical hub up front. Good unit, but not the best brake setup out there.

I won't change anything on the bike. I do need to ensure that no one removed any parts over the years though. I'm trying hard to find earlier pictures of the bike, including when it was offered on on eBay in December 2009 - hopefully someone on this Forum kept those pics.

It was built as an experimental machine for a fellow in California (Lynn Wineland) and tested in the desert to evaluate the capabilities of the motor. The exhaust is the ISDT version, but it wasn't initially shipped for England this way. I suspect the pipe Rickman installed was a poor match for the power band of the motor, so it was removed and the ISDT pipe installed; I'll leave it this way.

I suspect the electrics on this bike were never really sorted out properly. I see signs of burned out parts and the wiring harness was hanging loose. The case was left loose and a mouse ate all of the wiring on the dynamo. Perhaps the dynamo, designed for bike with lights, was never adjusted for a MX/desert racer with no lights. I'll first try to see if I can rebuild the dynamo and ensure the output is matched to the twin-coil ISDT setup. If not, I did find the VAPE setup and will go that way. I'm sure someone on this extensive site has set things up on a machine with no lights.

A bit more background here -

"In March of 1965 MZ sent Lynn a factory works ISDT style 250 cc two stroke bike asking Lynn to test it in his environment. By this time the Rickman kit was finished, with Triumph 500cc power. The first race on Saturday was a European Scramble with two races and the total scored for the day. There was a separate Enduro on Sunday. The Rickman chain popped off three or four times during the race and Lynn still won his class. The Mark III and Mark IV Rickmans use eccentric washer for the chain adjusters and they were back at home. The race referee allowed Lynn to ride the 250 MZ and it won the second race competing against 500cc machines. The next day the MZ finished the enduro but without a speedometer Lynn only finished 17th. When all was over Lynn was allowed to keep the MZ which he only recently sold to a collector in Iowa. Lynn snagged another MZ factory engine and sent it to the Rickmans in the UK to make a prototype frame. Lynn still has that bike today. The plan was to buy engines (both 250 and 350 cc), hubs and brakes (innovative brakes that reside on the exact centerline of the wheel reducing any tendency for the bike to pull to one side on slippery surfaces). But there was an up rising in Czechoslovakia which East German solders helped the Russians put down and the US government increased the duties from East Germany from 9% to 45% as a sanction against their actions. So there went the MZ Rickman."
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:27 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Next

Return to Main Lobby