Question about US history with MZ (and other cold war bikes)

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Re: Question about US history with MZ (and other cold war bi

Postby jam23a30 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:40 am

Can't add too much to what has been said but I do believe there is a political aspect to MZ exports, that is DDR and the Eastern Bloc were largely self sufficient but they did need hard currency for essential non Bloc spend.

I think in the UK MZ's did fit a gap in the market as cheap and reliable transport and their quality was recognised over time. I suspect the USA was a very different market to the 70's UK and a lot further from the factory!

Andy
jam23a30

Postby Eomund » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am

jam23a30 wrote:Can't add too much to what has been said but I do believe there is a political aspect to MZ exports, that is DDR and the Eastern Bloc were largely self sufficient but they did need hard currency for essential non Bloc spend.

I think in the UK MZ's did fit a gap in the market as cheap and reliable transport and their quality was recognised over time. I suspect the USA was a very different market to the 70's UK and a lot further from the factory!

Andy

Ya. People in the states call it ugly and its all style over here.so odd balls get no love. And she aint ugly either haha.
Eomund

Postby dave47 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 am

I believe an important export market for the MZ250 was always the armies and police forces of various foreign countries, as well the DDR itself. This might partly explain why tank range was prioritised at the expense of styling. But most western consumers were not traffic cops or despatch riders, and were rarely far from a petrol station. Styling and image have always been very important factors in motorbike sales in the West, not just in the USA.
dave47

Postby Puffs » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:44 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Previous

Return to Main Lobby