Pipe dreams and conjecture.

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Re: Pipe dreams and conjecture.

Postby Blurredman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am

Puffs wrote:Gents,
But I can't remember having said that 'it's all about the swingarm length and subframe', I think I said "the spine of the frame (which runs below the tank) being longer on the 250".

I had a feeling this might be picked up and pondered my sentence structure. As is the way of the English language, that particular sentence could be construed as either a provocation of wrong info, or a confirmation that it was right.

I said "It's not all about the swingarm length and subframe, as puffs says."

Which I meant to say, 'Puffs was correct in saying that there are also measurement differences from the swingarm spindle forward'.
:mrgreen:
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby nice2day » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am

Hi puffs...Regarding the KINETIC energy chat. All I was (trying) to say was that a mass ,when, moved has stored energy. The bigger the mass the more kinetic energy for any given speed. Then that same mass also possesses a reluctance to be accelerated, a property called INERTIA.

By adding a heavy weight to the handlebars we load the handlebar and change its response to the small centering force created by the steering geometry: CASTOR effect.

Since the castor effect has a certain "fixed" value, then if we ADD MASS to the object it has to turn, the response must be slower due to the INERTIA. You know that motorcycle steering is incredibly sensitive ...just pull or push on ONE side of the bars a couple of grams pressure and see what the effect has! Be very careful... ..you could end up shooting off the road! :shock:

So bottom line is: Add a big mass to your handlebars and the bike will steer differently...that's all. :)

By the way did you see the similarity of kinetic energy formula to Einstein's Famous equation E=MC²?...basically its saying if something is moving at 90,000,000,000Km every second and then stops instantaneously (vanishes /is destroyed) the energy it contained is released and is massive...I know you knew that but I often consider this fact..... especially when I'm hammering in nails...:lol: :lol: :lol:
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am

Nice one Puffs...its fun to have a bit of scientific trivia thrown around :lol:

Oh yes coming back to Einsteins Theory ...I can only imagine then that everything that exists has a built in property of travelling at the speed of light even though to us it is unmoving?
Its about relativity isn't it.

Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 am

Uhh.. No I don't think so Les. Or at least I don't know what a "built in property of travelling at the speed of light" means.

His special relativity builds on earlier work by particularly Hendrik Lorentz and deals with the consequences of the speed of light being equal for all observers. General relativity details the consequences for the space-time continuity & gravity. There is more to be said on this, but it's a bit beyond the scope of an MZ forum.

I'd try the Saxon without that fairing, or with a bigger front tyre - that should make it more stable, both by raising the front a bit, and also by increasing it's angular momentum. What tyre does it have now?

Edit: a programme I saw yesterday made me look up the wheelbase of Marquez' RC213V, it is 143.5cm = 56.5". So indeed 10cm longer than the 251.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 am

Hi Puffs...It was hard to describe what I meant about the speed of light within matter. I didn't mean it was actually traveling at the speed of light!
However, the immense amount of energy released when matter is destroyed is closely linked to the equation for kinetic energy and that figure is huge because we have the speed of light squared. I am pretty sure if you actually did accelerate any matter to the speed of light and then let it impact into an immoveable solid object (Impossible, I know) the energy released would be similar to that of what is released when matter is lost through fission. I'm talking in very approximate terms but this is a way to visualize the massive amounts of energy fission can provide. Although A heavy mass of uranium/plutonium was used in WW2 bombs the energy created was from the loss of a few grams of matter. This is also why I mentioned hammering in nails...You can't push them into wood, but by releasing the stored kinetic energy from a moving hammer they receive a much greater force and get knocked in.
There is plenty of info out there to agree with what I am saying for example: https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... tic-energy

The Saxon tyre is a 2.75" Metzeler M22 I think....but not to worry I will not be riding it for now as I will be riding the preferred MZ ETZ 250.

Thanks again.

Les
nice2day

Postby Blurredman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:02 am

nice2day wrote:I will be riding the preferred MZ ETZ 250.

Speaking of which, I would like to see some pictures :) :smt006

Blurredman

Postby nice2day » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 am

Appreciate your interest Blurredman...All I can find at the moment is a sellers photo of it. I might find more but when the rebuild continues I will take some updated ones. I have to say just looking at this photo spurs me on...I reckon the ETZ 250 looks wonderful... :P
My MZ when bought (This is not my house).png

Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:38 am

I think it looks pretty sweet as it is- but I'm well known to abuse my bikes very badly on the appearance front.... :cry:

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:27 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:10 am

Thanks for getting back on this issue Puffs. The stiffer springs certainly helped in curing the excessive diving whilst braking, perhaps too much so. Braking in the wet, I noticed that the tyre was more likely to skid as the normal weight transference was not loading the tyre as much and simply pushed the front tyre along in a skid rather than have the bikes weight push down harder on it to secure extra grip. The springs were the Burwins racing ones so might have been fine for crash braking in the dry but for normal winter town riding I would not recommend them. As far as the spacers, there weren't any but I can see what you mean. If money and skill was no object, I would suggest that cutting a V shape out of the frame near the steering head and rewelding to achieve a longer rake by decreasing the steering angle which would provide more stability. Perhaps one day Puffs you might be able to test ride a Saxon Tour 301 and see for yourself that the heavy bar mounted fairing is the cause of the vague steering that leaves one with no confidence. I could remove it but it would look pretty odd I reckon. Thanks again... :)
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:16 am

Puffs

Previous

Return to Main Lobby