New MZ owner - Intro - brake question

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

New MZ owner - Intro - brake question

Postby Ashtabula63 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm

I recently purchased a 2002 MZ Skorpion Tour with 5500 miles on it. I live in Shelton, Washington State, USA and ride a Harley Heritage Classic, BMW 800 GS and a Husqvarna TE300. When I realized just how difficult it is to get my hands on parts for the MZ here in the US, I started internet searches and ran across this forum. Several of the posts have already been helpful so thanks for that.

My question for the day: So the rear brake fluid has to be original material as it’s the color and consistency somewhere between molasses and coffee. I sucked all the old out of the remote reservoir with a plastic syringe and added new thinking I could just bleed the old stuff out. However, there must be a blockage between the remote reservoir and the master cylinder because I only got a couple ml out of the caliper when I tried to bleed it. Now it’s done – none of the reservoir fluid left the reservoir. So, before I tear into the master cylinder to clean it out, I am hoping someone can tell me how the little nipple that holds the hose coming from the reservoir to the master cylinder comes out of the master cylinder?? I have seen these nipples held into the master cylinder with a screw but this doesn’t seem to have one and just seems like maybe it just pops in and out of the master cylinder. Could that be right? I want to get the right plan before I tear into this so I don’t break any parts that still work!

Thanks for your help.
Ashtabula63

Re: New MZ owner - Intro - brake question

Postby Puffs » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:50 am

Welcome Ashtabula63! An interesting combination of bikes you list there, and with just 5500 miles that Scorpion should be in pretty good nick.

Nevertheless, brake fluid ages with time and refreshing it is always a good start. Personally I'm not familiar with the 660's, if you don't get a reply maybe re-post on the 660cc forum.
Puffs

Postby Eomund » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 pm

I recommend doing a brake flush. You can clean out the system with alcohol. Pretty easy.
Eomund

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:35 am

i answered his questions in a PM
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:20 am

Nothing like secrets well kept!
Puffs

Postby Ashtabula63 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and especially David for getting me on the right track - sort of. An update: I tore into the back brake master cylinder today after unsuccessfully trying to bleed the system last week. The bleeding operation didn't work because the remote reservoir wouldn't feed the master cylinder. I thought, after looking at the fluid in the reservoir, that the system was plugged up. David mentioned that in his experience, the pedal might be adjusted wrong and holding the master cylinder plunger too far up not allowing the reservoir to supply the cylinder. However, after taking it apart and putting it back together a couple times I discovered even with no pressure on the plunger no fluid can flow into the cylinder. So, either the plunger is too long (wrong part?) or the supply hole is in the wrong place. The only thing i can think to do to fix it is to grind a couple mm off the bottom of the plunger so it doesn't sit so high in the cylinder. Any other thoughts?

THanks,
Wes
Ashtabula63

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 pm

may have been apart and wrong part put back in
or the link from plunger to pedal is wrong one(or bent)
dave

i will take a picture of my traveller pedal Monday
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:28 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Postby Ashtabula63 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:39 pm

I was just looking at old posts and realized I never posted my fix - so (three years later) - I ended up purchasing a brembo rear master cylinder that advertised "fits most European bikes" and with that, the rear brakes work perfectly. I was able to swap out the old fluid with new and everything works fine. The only thing I actually measured was the distance between the two mounting holes and it bolted up with very little "adjusting". Thank you for your help. Wes
Ashtabula63

Return to Main Lobby