MZ won't start

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

MZ won't start

Postby JawasandMZs » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Please help!
Bought an etz 250 in september and quickly found the crankseals were shot. £650 for a rebuild so we're immediately up to £1550. Whilst waiting for the engine to come back I painted the bike, had a rack built and bought panniers. Price so far .. £1700, also fitted a new brake light switch new speedo cable new fuel tap because they're made of plastic so break really easily..duh nice one MZ.

Imagine how pi.... unhappy I was when I installed the rebuilt engine and it won't start. I've had the carb off, nothing wrong with it. When I put it back it started leaking .. Gr rrr ! I soived this by applying gasket seal between the carb body and float bowl.
So.. rebuilt engine, big fat spark, have tried hooking it up to a car battery. Plug is brand new b8hs. Brand new air filter. It was running, though badly, prior to rebuild. Plug is getting wet. Plug is sparking, petrol in cylinder, won't start. Had the points set soon after buying the bike. That was another £70!
Im up to two thousand quid and still haven't ridden this bike. Oh, plus insurance and tax. It's driving me mad, Im on the brink of chucking it on ebay and writing off a months wages and hours wnd hours of stress because Im truly starting to hate this bike. What a total money pit.
Is there anything else i can try? My bike shop is baffled. IM baffled. Im counting on soneone out there knowing something, ANYTHING, that the Haynes manual doesn't.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.
JawasandMZs

Re: MZ won't start

Postby Blurredman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:02 am

Hi,

Where do you live out of interest- maybe there is someone close?

For a start, I'm not sure using gasket seal to stop carb overflow is really a good idea. They can leak through the bowl gasket, but that might be because the float height is not set correctly?
If the fuel isn't escaping though the gasket- potentially it is just being dumped straight into the engine..

I would use a 7 grade NGK spark plug for the etz 250 or equivilant like a W22FSU by Denso etc.

Are you not mechanically inclined yourself? I would guess not if you let someone charge £70 just to check the points/timing.. That is a rip off- But I guess that was a shop.

Don't give up hope though.. We've all been there with bikes that we have considered leaving in a ditch and never looking back. My ETZ 251 for one.. I felt so annoyed and started hating it.. But I solved each problem as they arose, one at a time, and now.. It's one of my major commutor bikes, and i've been abroad with it too for holidays.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:31 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby dave47 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 am

If I was in this situation the first thing I would do is check that the timing had been done correctly.
The Haynes manual, ETZ 1991, doesn't tell you how to do this without a dial gauge indicator, but a simpler tool is available, just google etz timing.
dave47

Postby JawasandMZs » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:37 am

Thanks for your replies. Live in South Wales, cf827nh. The sealing compound isn't there to close the overflow pipe but the seal the surface between the the float bowl and carb body as the gasket doesn't seal properly me having the carb in bits literally 50 times. The carb is inclined downhill towards the engine at the front so the petrol height is slightly above the gasket.
Ive tried filling the carb whilst off the bike then carefully withdrawing the bowl and it fills up nicely to within 0.5 mm of the top of the overflow pipe. The body of the fuel tap is brass but the nipple that comes off the fuel tap is plastic and split after so many times pushing the pipe on and off.

Is there any merit to using a genuine replacement carb in preference to the suspiciously cheap ones on ebay?

Incidentally I bought this mz because I ride a 2015 jawa 640 twin which is so good you'd think Honda were now making them under licence an the MZ was meant to be an ..err, don't laugh .. voice fades to sheepish whisper...as an investment. Oh dear.

Any other ideas, folks?? No, i have zero mechanical expertise and the little I do know Ive had to learn on my own the hard way. When i finally get it fixed gonna install vape and be done with points condensor and all the other prehistoric tin boxes:)
JawasandMZs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:50 am

You my friend, live 2.2 miles from me.. how odd..

Intruiging - I thought I saw a smokey old thing going into Hengoed the other week..

I can pop around and see what's what if you like?

Throw me some dates and times and I will have to see what I can accomodate. :?:

Blurredman

Postby JawasandMZs » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Blurredman, like are you for real? Omg. My name is Tom Bartram my number is 01443 551414. Mob 0741 303 6432 Just got back from ystrad mynach hospital ... having had a dislocated big toe pushed back from the evil kick-back of the mz!
Managed to get the beast going for a couple of mins by pouring petrol str8 down the plug hole. So the prob is clearly on the carburation side
JawasandMZs

Postby tigcraft » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:29 pm

@jawasandmzs you could do with editing out your phone numbers for a piece of mind and pm instead. I noticed you’ve spent an eye watering amount on this bike. These bikes have never been in that ££££££ sort of ownerships because they’ve been a ‘fixit and learn’ bikes.
With mine I’ve enjoyed every minute of tinkering as simplicity is bliss for me. The new available parts are currently for nothing and a pleasure to fit. I hope you get round to enjoying the other things about them as well as riding.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby Puffs » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:41 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby JawasandMZs » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:26 am

To be honest on price, two grand for bike that gives me potentially years and thousands of miles of fun isn't a waste of money. Where I HAVE wasted money over the years is on bikes that I buy, get bored with in five minutes (after having replaced the tyres, chain and sprockets, and done the fork seals etc) then sell for less than I paid.
I paid three grand for my jawa and don't regret a single penny.
JawasandMZs

Postby JawasandMZs » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:31 am

The Jawa 640, known the Classic, is Czech built and can be purchased brand for £3895 from F2 motorcycles of Wisbech. It differs from the 1991 version in having electric start, a front disc the size of a dustbin lid and a modern charging and ignition system. Mine has done over 10000 miles and it's still loosening up and getting faster. Cruising speed is 65mph at just over 4000 rpm.

On the topic of telling you all who I am ... how many of you have bought stuff over the phone by telling a total stranger your card details and three digit security code on the back of the card??!!
JawasandMZs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:01 am

I'll give you a call when I can Tom.

And I agree, who does not remember visiting websites asking for card details to purchase items, before e-Bay and Paypal - you weren't always quite sure if you were opening up to fraud. And I suppose........putting your telephone number here is no different than being in 'the phone book'. And that used to have your address in it too, potentially.. :idea:

Blurredman

Postby JawasandMZs » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am

Hurray! Hurray! Bike's going! Problem solved! The crankseals were gone causing white smoke so obviously I had the carb on and off impteen times completely needlessly.
The float bowl gasket started to leak. So I blamed the float level (wrong) and lowered the float height, starving the engine e. D'oh! So obvious!
I've actually put on a brand new genuine MZ carb. Ha! Problem solved...

...BUT ...

how the heck are you meant to adjust the tickler with the late etz250/251 carb?

The throttle slide sits so low that NO air gets through. I noticed this when I installed the slider into the carb body. Duh.

Anyone know? I hold the throttle slightly open whilst at the lights. I'd like to set the tick over at about 1750.
JawasandMZs

Postby Puffs » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:40 am

Puffs

Return to Main Lobby