Two into One

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Re: Two into One

Postby AlanJ » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:14 am

Hi Puffs,
Yes, the weather is starting to get interesting here too. You're so lucky, is that picture a his and hers? looks good. I would love to pursue
that ES, but he is asking too much at £1100 and without the cost of the paintwork it will need about a £1000, there is quite a lot of crome on those.
Anyway, as I said, my lovely washing, cooking, ironing machine does not understand, Ah well.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:09 am

Yes, it was taken last weekend on a parking along the road from Houffalize --> La Roche, along the Ourthe; an all time favourite of mine.

While value remains a local issue, have a look what these older ES's do in Germany. Spend - or save for later?
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Sat May 08, 2021 5:40 am

Hi Guys,
I have had to let things go for the last few weeks, sadly and annoying health problems, anyway that's enough of that So, back to the twin
This last Thursday, I was able to buy the ETZ crank cases and crank shaft, good price at £60 although it took a round trip of 250 miles to pick them up.
Now the fun starts, it looks a bit daunting at the moment but I will start by cleaning everything and then quite a bit of constructive thinking, I hope.
As I have said before, I will do my best to document and pic as I go. Anyway Guys, stay safe.
Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Mon May 10, 2021 10:14 am

Good to hear from you Alan, and £60 for those parts seems OK, if it's in good nick of course.

If I can do it on the bike, I never consider distance - but 250 miles is a fair trip on the bike!

Good luck!
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am

Hi Puffs,
Thanks for your thoughts, I have just bought another Mikuni copy for £25 to match the one I already have, so, now I am after a cylinder and head, then
the fun starts. I have already placed the 2 engines together and as far as I can see, the head fix to the frame is not a problem, but, not so with the rear fixing
with the C brackets. Anyway that's just a first look-see. As I said could be fun.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Wed May 12, 2021 3:51 am

Would you have any pics on how you joined the 2 engine/halves Alan? And to show how that joint you mentioned is installed?

Thanks!
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 am

Hi Puffs,
At the moment, other than just placing the two engines together to look at what has to be cut up etc (thinking time) mostly. I have been
thinking about the rear mounting of the engine to the frame in it's original position, it's possible to move the engine forward without too much of a problem.
As soon as I have something positive to see I will post some pics.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Tue May 25, 2021 5:23 am

Hi Guys,
Sorry the start of this project is taking so long, but sadly I am held up without the cylinder and head
and to be honest I do not want to start carving up parts if there is a problem getting hold of them.
I can of course buy new parts but the cost is far too high, sadly.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Tue May 25, 2021 5:45 am

Take your time. In the past I had looked at buying an aftermarket cylinder, but was disappointed with the quality.
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Sat May 29, 2021 5:54 am

Hi Guys,
I have finally got hold of a 251 cylinder ( still need a head) s, I can start the twin, or so I thought. Now comes the stupid bit, on my part.
When I bought the Saxon 301 and the 7 boxes of parts with 2 engines, a 301 and what I was told was a 251, anyway, the cylinder I have just bought
and the advert said it was 68+mm, so, I thought I must check the other engine ( I bet you know what's coming,) off with the head and it's 75.3mm,
It's obviously a 301. I don't want to build a 602 and to be honest if I re-build the 301 it's an easy thing to do and worth a good price so it is causing me
concern on what to do for the best. As this only came to a head yesterday, the way to go needs some serious thought.
Wish you well stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Sun May 30, 2021 4:11 am

A bore of 68mm is slightly surprising, as I think the standard bore for the 250's is 69.0mm...

Which type is it? Here's mine:
Maß A = 12.9mm.jpg

A '89 EM251 of type C.
Zylinder typen ETZ 250-251_e.jpg

But of course a barrel in good condition retains its value (I might be interested). Anyway, best in deciding the way forward.
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 am

Hi Puffs,
Yes you are right at 69mm, the one I have acquired is actually 68.96mm so it would be ok. I can't tell you the noise I made when I removed the
head from the original engine, I could not believe it at first. Anyway, that's how it is, I will have to look for another cylinder and head, trouble is the first one
took ages and I still need the head for it. One thing I have decided though is just keep looking so, I now need one ETZ 251 cylinder and two heads, we will see
how long that takes.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Puffs » Mon May 31, 2021 2:41 am

For reference, from the 251 manual:
EM 251 cylinder sizes.jpg
Zylinder = cylinder, Kolben = piston, Einbauspiel = clearance

But obviously this pertains to new barrels & pistons, from the original suppliers, which by now are virtually impossible to find. Aftermarket parts have different sizes, alloys and clearances.
Puffs

Postby AlanJ » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 am

Hi Guys,
I have been trying to find the parts to complete this twin project, but sadly it's just not happening, so, rather reluctantly I must let this one die.
But before I close this post I must thank Puffs, Guesi, Dave, Blurredman and many others for their kind thoughts and help.
Wish you all well, have a great summer. Alan
AlanJ

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:34 pm

with 2 engines working to get you there it would be a bit of a gas HOG

my 1966 Yamaha ym1 305 cc ran very good but it also liked to stop at the fuel pump
way to often
when i sold it gas was about 40 cents a gallon
replaced it with a 1965 BMW R69
DAVE
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

PreviousNext

Return to Main Lobby