New guy around here

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

New guy around here

Postby DarkLeftArm » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:02 pm

Hello everyone. New guy alert.
My name is Bert.
I've been wrenching on old rusty things all my life, and I'm an old guy.
The other day, I happened upon a rare sight in the craigslist ads here in Tucson, Arizona. It was a '93 MZ Silver Star that had been out in some guys yard in the sun since 2016. The odo only shows about 12000 km. It even leaked some oil after the trailer ride home! I'll take that as good news. It means there's still some oil in it!
So first things first... I need to get a key made for it. Using the search function on your fine forum here, I found the big discussion about the Zada lock coming loose, so I ran out very hopefully that mine would be loose and easy to remove. No dice. Solid as a rock.
So, besides removing those silly security screws and replacing them with allen bolts/locktite, I need to take the lock to a locksmith to try for a new key.
What all do I need to take off/take apart to get that thing outta there?
I'm thinking about taking off the whole top triple tree so I can access the security screws in a conventional fashion.

Here's another question- I also need access to the gas tank and side cover that both have locks as well. The side cover comes off readily, as somebody pried it open and broke off the tab on the back of the lock. There isn't possibly a way that if a locksmith made me a key for that little lock, that it would possibly work in the ign, switch?? Doubt it, but worth asking.

Anyway... I'll go back to my lurking position in the corner now. At least until I have another burning question.
Thanks for your patience.
DarkLeftArm

Re: New guy around here

Postby Blurredman » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:41 am

Hi Bert. Welcome.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with regards to the modern MZ's and their what we would call 'standard' keys by modern standards. But I can tell you that the side panel key would likely be different to the ignition key.
I'm sure you can find a replacement barrel/key assembly for the side panel- I've bought them from on-line sources. But can you get such things in hardware shops over there? As for removing the main ignition barrel- I am not sure that keysmiths can be bothered to try and match barrels with new keys? It might be the only option is to grind those damn security nuts, and indeed- the whole barrel if necessary and just get a new one?
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Re: New guy around here

Postby Nobog » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:16 pm

Hey Bert, hope you are staying cool down there!
Nobog

Return to Main Lobby