Mz es 150 smashed headlight issue.

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Mz es 150 smashed headlight issue.

Postby Klaudiusz2001 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:01 am

Hi I'm a new poster to the forum but I have been an avid reader over the past couple of years. But as a new owner of a MZ ES 150, which I'm in the process of restoring I've come across a couple hurdles and was wandering if anyone on the forum has encountered any of these before myself and found a satisfactory solution...

So during the disassembly of the front lamp upon removal of the headlight the glass has unglued itself from the reflector and came crashing to the ground :( , as soon as it happened I was very annoyed with myself and the awful glue that went off over the years. But now I'm left in the situation where I need a new front headlight unit, I've looked online for a 145mm and 5.75" round headlight units but none of them have any dimensional reports available to ensure that it's going to actually fit, and finding an original uk spec (left hand dip) is proving a challenge.

So here's my request, has anyone got any experience replacing these with a new unit or maybe has an original uk spec for sale. Or alternatively knows of another bike or model that would fit the specifications below?

The critical dimensions of the unit are 145mm major diameter (at the rim) and <136mm diameter at the front of the glass so that it still fits inside the bezel.
Klaudiusz2001

Re: Mz es 150 smashed headlight issue.

Postby Blurredman » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:39 am

I wonder if using a glass from an ETZ would fit? Sure you would have to peel the glass off, but maybe that would work?

Over the years older glass headlamps have these issues. I had the same with my car- the glass was only just hanging on when I realised it was a bit loose- thankfully I glued that back on, the same too with my own ES250/2 Trophy- I found the glass was rotated, and it just came out- luckily It was secure though. The headlamp units as a whole on the ES models are pretty rare.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Re: Mz es 150 smashed headlight issue.

Postby Guesi » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:57 pm

The ETZ does not fit. It is bigger than the ES part.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Return to Main Lobby