MZ Marketing

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

MZ Marketing

Postby Nobog » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:17 pm

:) Good day all. My little brain was bored so I thought of a way for MZ to get themselves in the news/more exposure. This has been done before but the thought stuck in my mind so it must work. In the '70s Hodaka mounted Frank Wheeler (thats from memory and it might be wrong) took 60? days and 10,000 miles on a trip around Australia on a 125. By himself. With no support. Impressive. They played that up in all the dirt bike magazines at the time. Fast forward and repeat the same thing on (2) 125 or 660 MZ's. Some company is always welcome along on a big trip so 2 is a nice number. I like doing it with 125's as that is an underdog size/challange. It could be 10,000 miles around anyplace: the US/Canada or Europe or Australia again. This would show the reliability of the MZ's which I think is one of the reasons people hesitate to purchase one. The beauty of doing this now is that it could be on the web with daily updates and email chats with the riders. Comments? any other marketing ideas? Would you check the web for daily updates on something like this? Thank for reading, Jim
Nobog

long distance tour

Postby DEmark » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:17 pm

I've had thoughts along the same lines. I've made two trips to Mexico/Central America on a Skorpion and am returning soon on a Baghira. A while back, I emailed Ray C, the president of Motorrad NA the attached picture and asked him if he thought the Baghira would be a good mount for a Pan American tour. I was hoping to start a dialogue that would lead to him giving me some support in an adventure like you are describing. I got no response from him. All I had in mind was some assurance from him that he would make it a priority to ship me any parts I might need. Actually, I think the MZ might go the distance without any problems, it's a superb moto.

BTW, my first bike was a 125 Hodaka Wombat. Riding one of them around the perimeter of Austrailia is indeed an accomplishment.
Attachments
008TROPICODECANCER.JPG
008TROPICODECANCER.JPG (460.71 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
DEmark

Postby phlat65 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:59 pm

I too have dreamed of a trip like this someday. with a young family, I may just have to wait a few years!!
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby -8- » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:43 am

MZ Lap Around America? Lets GO!! We could just organize and do it. A charitable cause would be a plus.

Check this out:
http://www.alaskabikerun.com/index.html
-8-

Postby John Casimir » Wed May 25, 2005 4:20 pm

What an excellent idea!

I'm no iron butt candidate, but I did once do 1100 miles on a GSX-R1100 in one day with only fuel stops--that's got to be good for a tin butt or aluminum butt...
John Casimir

Return to Main Lobby