New member: long-time Monomaniac. first time-poster

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

New member: long-time Monomaniac. first time-poster

Postby 854 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Quick post to say, HI! Would you believe it took me 10 yrs as an MuZ owner to find you guys? I'm crazy about the 660 models, I'm now up to 3 Skorpions, but will be selling one very soon. I still can't believe what a quality bike it was for the money! I'll be glad to share my full Thumper history stretching back to 1963 some other time, but for now:

I currently have a '97 Skorpion racebike, and two 2002 Skorpion Tours...and none of them is a parts-bike, although one is broken. :wink: We took the racebike w/OEM frame, forks, swingarm to the AHRMA Supermono title in 2006, and then broke the gearbox last fall in a vain attempt to defend the title. This bike was a collaboration between many builders, but the main players were Slipstream for the headwork and numerous engine upgrades; Tim Barker for exhaust, ignition and advice; GMD Atlanta for chassis set-up; Derek Kotheimer as the builder and occasional pit-crew and myself for financing and riding duties.

The red street bike pictured below is my workhorse...gets a little road use, but has many track miles...ridden hard, put away hot, never misses a tick. The blue bike is a jewel...better than new, I got it from a local riding friend who needed to make room for another project. It has had only TLC lavished on it, less than 3k miles, always garaged, is immaculate, and my wife has hidden the keys, promising to return them only when the bike is sold! :lol:

I'll post a for-sale thread in a few days, when I get a current photo. In the attached photo, taken last fall, my son & I were heading to a rally and wanted to show off the Barker exhaust and DYMAGs from the racebike. A current photo will show the bike with stock silver wheels and stock exhaust w/M4 slip-on, as seen on the red bike.

Eric Mercer
2006 AHRMA Supermono Champion

**The older I get, the faster I was**

Re: New member: long-time Monomaniac. first time-poster

Postby 854 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Mid Ohio 2006: The racebike in happier days :cry:

Imageshack has been randomly dropping my images, so edited this using the Photobucket file.
Last edited by 854 on Fri May 08, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Mercer

Postby GordonH » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Eric, How's it shakin'? Can't believe you just found this website. I'm up to three Skorps too. None for the street though. Realized last fall at Barber that I needed some spares. Cheapest way to do it seemed to buy a full bike. Turns out I raced against them over the years with different owners. One was Trent Thomas' and the other one was raced by Alex Mclean. What's your race schedule for this year? I'll only be doing Grattan and M-O with AHRMA and Grattan in May with WERA. Might be at Barber to spectate but not race.
See you at the races.

Gordon Hamilton
AHRMA SoS #58
GordonH

Postby 854 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Gordon,
I was hoping to hear from you on this forum, as the contact info on the AHRMA site didn't work when I e-mailed you.

I didn't have a raceplan beyond repairing the big motor budget permitting, but decided to put a mild race motor in my old street/trackday bike first...so now I finally have the 'B' bike I always needed :-D
I'll probably do Talladega in May, Barber in October and a few schools/trackdays in between. If I get the big motor fixed I'd love to run at Road America and a few others, but it's not a priority this year.

Looks like you've got a couple of weel set-up donor bikes to work with. Are they both 'Cup' bikes, or do you have a race motor yet?
Eric Mercer

Postby 854 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:35 am

Sad to say, but the blue bike has been sold. But the DYMAG wheels are available:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2480
Eric Mercer

Postby 854 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:00 pm

O.K. How's this for irony? The blue Skorpion has come full circle. This is a bike a friend with deep pockets had built under my guidance. He took a $5,000 bike and put another $8,000 into it! Tim Barker built a nice steetable race motor and custom twin stainless/carbon exhaust, and we set up the chassis, suspension, geometry and Mag wheels. After a couple of years he got bored, and tried to sell it for $$$...no hits. Seems he represented the entire market for this bike. I sold the DYMAGs for him, then the bike went with stock wheels for a bit less $$ to a second friend with too many bikes. When he also lost interest it sat for several years, only ridden a few hundred miles. So I took it off his hands a couple of years ago for a price I couldn't refuse.

MZ twins BRP.jpg

My Supermono bike ended its illustrious four year run in 2007, the gearbox blown when chain broke while defending the title. Defending the title wan't as much fun as working towards it, and I had other race bikes, so...

...it is now in the process of donating parts to the custom streetbike: swingarm, Penske shock, DYMAGS, aluminum subframe, solo tail, custom milled rear-sets. That's enough for now. Might use a few more bits later. The extra lift at the rear dictated by race geometry required an offset shock mount and a bit of grinding to clear the swingarm, hence the use of the rough race unit. We'll see.

MZ Right Side Naked.jpg
Eric Mercer

Postby Puffs » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:56 am

It's a time machine...

Thanks!
Puffs

Return to Main Lobby