New Baghira owner in Stoke on Trent, England

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

New Baghira owner in Stoke on Trent, England

Postby angustoyou » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:46 am

Hello all, an introduction from me, as very nearly another Baghira owner.

Been riding bikes since I was 16, going from a Yamaha FSIE, the DX disc brake, and restricted model, which was written off when a car cut a corner at a T junction that I was turning right on and hit me head on. :smt076

Then had another Yam, an RS100, which saw me through my test. :smt038

Next was a Suzuki RG 250 Gamma, Mk 1, which was unreliable but still great. :?

Then a Honda VF400, to try and find some of the legendary 4 stroke torque and reliability. Big end bearings went on that, and not long after it was all fixed up, I slid off at Windy corner in the IOM, and after fixed from that, it was nicked, and eventualy found in the local canal. :smt022

Back to Yamaha, and another 2 stroke, the RD350 YPVS, which tankslapped everywhere, but was reliable and great fun, taking me on numerous camping trips, and the annual Isle Of Man TT holiday, until I stuffed it into an oncoming car, breaking my leg. :oops:

Whilst recovering from that, bought another RG250 rolling chassis, and used the written off YPVS remains and made a YamaGamma, which was much more of a headache than anticapated, but eventualy came together ok. :smt021

Sold that before I was out of plaster, and bought a Honda CBR600, the old jellymould model. That was a brilliant all round bike, and took me touring through France and Spain for 3 weeks, and was held onto the longest. :smt041

Eventualy chopped that in for a Ducati 600 Monster, to try and slow me down, keep me alive, and preserve my licence. Was promptly banned for a month for wheelying that away from some traffic lights. Doh! :smt018

That was followed by a modern Triumph Trident 900, which was a great bike, but I soon ached for the speed triple instead. :smt055

So that was followed by a Speed Triple, which was nice. With the son and heir coming up to two years old, and the Triple having been sat in the garage unridden for 6 months, I decide to sell up, get a car, and be all sensible and responsible and stuff. :roll:

A couple of years ago, after applying but failing to get a two wheel related job at the company I work for, the passion was rekindled, and as a direct result of my application, I was offered an off road day out with all the team, where enduro legend Ady Smith showed us all how to have fun on his fleet of KTM enduro bikes on the Welsh hillsides. An absolute revelation. I loved it. :smt055

This led to me getting back on two wheels, another Yam, an XT600E, which is still the only bike that I never found out the top speed of. I tried some green laning on this, which is awesome fun, but with the technicality of our local lanes in the Peak District, mixed in with my little 29" inside leg, it was too heavy for. It did fit the 'one bike does it all' box though, as even with Michelin T63's on, was extremely competent on the road. It's the first bike that didn't egg me on to go as fast as I could on, but that I could be happy burbling around on at a steady ish pace. :smt023

The green laning was so much fun, that spotting a CCM404 localy had me trading in the XT after a quick test ride. About 5hp more, and a good 30Kg less, makes for a great green laning tool, without the KTM / WR type service intervals. :D

Swapping tyres between knobblies and road tyres meant I had puncture repairs down to a fine art, and a tyre change was not a lot slower than a wheel change, but was a real bind at times. Also the DRZ400 E engine hunts a bit at fixed throttle openings, and the low gearing is not the best on the road. Still, a swap of sprockets, and strapping an inflatable cushion to the seat saw it take me on a touring holiday up round the Lake District and Southern Scotland. :smt041

A small windfall saw me splash out on another Yam, a Fazer 600, which was much better suited for the annual road trip, and meant that the CCM can stay on knobblies full time. However, taking the Fazer for the odd thrash, was just that, a thrash. I couldn't ride it slowly. Lovely, lovely engine, but not relaxed, and not slow! :smt119

And not used much because of it, so I've just been and taken a Bagira out for a couple of hours, and sorted out a deal for the Fazer. I've lost out on the Fazer a bit, but, I think that the baggy will be ideal for what I want. Something to jump on and scoot round the local roads on, for a quick hour or four, which isn't going to be as mad as a KTM or Husky SM (and encourage me to behave like a hooligan on), but is going to be a more fun and relaxing ride than the Fazer, at considerably more sensible speeds, on what have always been my favourite type of roads, bumpy back B roads. I reckon the saddle is also plenty comfy enough for those full days when I head around the Peaks, into Wales, and so on. I reckon the annual road trip next year may feature more B roads, and less motorway dual carriageway than this years did too! Happy days. :smt023
Baghira 660 for the road, CCM 404 for green laning. Singles rock!
angustoyou

Return to Main Lobby