ROWRACIN - 17th April

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

ROWRACIN - 17th April

Postby oldboyonrgv » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:00 am

An early (like 6am !) start saw the Miller crowd arrive at Foxholes MX track Sunday morning for a round of the Hants and Dorset championship. We know that we may have to marshall today and sure enough we are selected for afternoon marshalling.

After last weekend good show by Row he’s well up for today.

No work done to the bike between the two meetings, apart form a good clean and service.

Practice went fine with Row re-aquainting himself with the track although he reported that they had changed it slightly since last time he raced here, he said he was riding at about 80%

Race1, Row pulls place 27 out of the 34 starters so we have to line up on the inside of the grid which is not ideal – Go, Row gets a good jump and rides up the inside of the pack into the first bend ( I hold my breath as everyone converges on him) as they emerge I count him through in 13th place and trying for 12th , the race winds on and Row is in a pack of 4 riders running 12th to 16th place, they are all jostling for position and Row is in there giving as good as he gets. The race finishes and I meet him at the track exit, he jumps off the bike and says to me “Dad I’m knackered!” He’s worked really hard to stay in the group and we get it confirmed that he finished in 14th place – his best single race result yet.
Back at the van Row re-fuels and then disappears to ‘muck about’ with his mates (the same boys he has just raced)

Dinnertime comes along and Amanda (my long suffering wife !) gets herself kitted up for an afternoons marshalling,
waterproofs – check
camping chair – check
warm gloves- check
drink – check
grub – check

Fully equipped she goes off to do her duty.

Race 2 Row pulls peg 7 this time so we get him lined up in the centre of the gate, I am hopefull he can get away with the front runners this time but its not to be as he gets a badun then someone falls off in front of him causing him to swerve, then he gets blocked out at the first turn, I count him through 6th to last (out of 34) after the first turn, but Row is none to happy with this and proceeds to ride though em up to 17th place by the finish – top kid !, he arrives back at the van still a bit peeved about the start but says that his new jumping technique is working wonders and he is nearly able to jump the big step up he has been scared of trying before – A quick drink some hoola hoops and a penguin bar later and he disappears of to continue the Play station challenge they have got going between the boys in next doors race truck leaving us dads outside getting the bikes ready for the next race.

Race 3 – its starting to rain as the riders get to the line for the last race and once again we get Row into the middle of the gate – A far better start and I count him through in 13th place (again) at the end of the 1st lap, the rain is getting steadily heavier and the track is getting slick, riders are falling all over the place so its very hard to keep tabs on who is where, Row goes past me round a fast right hander when the front wheel slides out on him, my heart skips a beat but he gets it back and carries on regardless (that would have been a big accident !), the race winds down and Row only has one small off right at the end which costs him nothing in terms of position and he has done really well just to stay on as the track is now difficult to even walk across. Row arrives back at the van “that was soooo slippery, the bike was going sideways even in a straight line” says Row “Ive done the step up though dad” he’s full of chat about the race “Im hitting the table top flat out, soo much air it feels like I’m flying” I calm him down as he gets changed out of his race kit (the adrenaline is clearly pumping) and then I get the van and all the gear packed away ready for when Amanda reappears after her afternoon marshalling, I wander over to race control to find out that Row had finished 11th in the last race
It’s raining in a steady stream now and the following race see’s riders falling in droves, track is finally deemed to dangerous to continue with the meeting. Amanda re-appears luckily she had taken all of her waterproof gear so she’s fine (although ready for a warm up in the van). Row immediately grabs her hand a takes her to the results board to show her his finishing postion, he’s well up!

We then head home – Row is asleep within 5 miles!

Well what a good day’s racing, we are all over the moon with Rows riding which is coming on in leaps and bounds and are looking forward to next weekends meeting which is at the same track.
I think Row will be in the midfield at the next meet because the standard is higher in the Portsmouth club than this one. One last thing I was talking to Row on Sunday night when he said to me “Dad you’re the best mechanic you keep making the bike better every time I ride it” which I suppose is a compliment !
oldboyonrgv

RESULT

Postby oldboyonrgv » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 am

Just got the overall result from Sunday - Row got 11th overall :lol: come on guys give us some feedback !!
oldboyonrgv

Postby keithcross » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:48 pm

Seems like Row is getting there at last. Consistanlty improving results are the goal after all.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:45 pm

sorry, i usually respond, been real buisy with my own motorcycling lately....
very good to hear he did soo well in the mud, it takes real good throttle control to go well in the slime! confidence is probably the best thing for him now, next meet he should go real well! just keep him fired up.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby micheleen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:59 pm

Pleased to hear he's coming on well, more power to his throttle hand :lol:
I remember that when I used to do cycle racing (MANY years ago) it was always a big lift to have steady, visible progress in results.

Cheers, Mike
micheleen

Return to Main Lobby