Got a Black Panther...

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Got a Black Panther...

Postby Demolition Man » Tue May 10, 2005 10:45 pm

:P I recently purchased a low mile used 2001 Black Panther (935 miles)......I must say that of all of the many bikes I have owned...the Baghira Black Panther is the most unique and fun one.....I have logged in 500miles since purchase....and am always suprised how much fun the bike is to ride on the tight back roads where I live and in and through city traffic....the bike has an M4 can, a set of BT010 Battle Axes, a set of Black Universal Fat Bars in the YZ bend, open airbox, jet kit, and a two tooth larger rear sproket (all of which made a huge improvement). There are however a few serious gripes I have with these bikes.....First what the HELL is up with these damn seats.....I mean my Friggen Yamaha R1 had a couch in comparison....I find myself standing on the pegs on the highway as if I were on my KX500 to relieve the rear strain....someone must make a better seat????....Second....The power is waaaaay too flat for the street, it is by far the slowest steed in my stable....not that the top speed isn't enough to eventually pass the dirt only bikes I have but in a drag race down the street even my 4 wheeler down right smokes it.....the whole 50hp thing on the MZ site is hogwash....if 35 horse actually made it to the tire I would be suprised....I do however have a couple mod questions for the motor I will post in the proper forum...lastly at higher speeds (80mph plus) the bike has an unnerving weave while upright but calms down when you bend into a sharp turn....would a steering damper fix this or is it a trait of this style bike....note...my KX500 is geared for around 90mph and is more stable at that speed in a straight line than the MZ.....Now that would be THE MOTARD...enough gripes....the big lowend surge...the loud bark....and the sportbike like handling....make this bike extremely enjoyable with the few shortcomings....now if I can get a new seat, throw on a steering stabilizer, and get say 75-80hp at the rear wheel then this would be THE Ultimate BIKE....any help with any of these issues would be greatly appreciated....
1994 Yamaha FZR1000
1997 Suzuki RM250
2001 MZ Black Panther
2002 Kawasaki KX500
2004 Bombardier DS650
1984 Caddy Coupe DeVille 56k mi. mint
and a few old Jeep Cherokee Limiteds
Demolition Man

Postby phlat65 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:26 pm

the wobble most likely is caused by a tire, or tire pressure.

I cut down my seat so it is flat from the tank junction back to about half way, then stepped it back up. it helped ALOT, but is still not 250 mile ready.

tunebike.de can tune these engines to 75hp. he makes a great headder, and offers big bore and porting, and flat slide carb kits. they prep this engine for super mono racing in europe in many different chassis.

shed weight were you can, and that should help also!

I love mine, and would not trade it for almost anything :-D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Seats

Postby jcrocker » Fri May 13, 2005 6:11 pm

I put all the engine performance parts on first before I had a custom seat done for the MZ. I wish I had got the seat first ,, makes a world of change
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/services/richs.htm
jcrocker

Postby phlat65 » Sun May 15, 2005 10:30 pm

hey jcrocker, call me so we can ride! 425-478-0290
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Return to Main Lobby