ROWRACIN-170605- TONYMOTO

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

ROWRACIN-170605- TONYMOTO

Postby oldboyonrgv » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:12 am

What a scorcher !

Row and I arrived Saturday evening in the team bus, I set up camp whilst Row disappeared on his MTB.

The evening was spent drinking some cheap Belgian beer whilst the boys arranged races around the ‘auto’ track, Row re-appeared at 20:30 all pink and sweaty and was promptly despatched to the bathroom for a wash and brush up followed by a drink and bed.

Sunday morning dawned, not a cloud in the sky, boy its gonna be a hot and dusty day. I had a nice cool shower prior to starting the day’s activities (I am so glad we bought the new team truck!)

There was a somewhat depleted field due to another local meeting which meant that 5 of the top runners were not there.

Practice went fine, Row completed the requisite laps and pronounce that he was “only at about 80% Dad”

The track owners have the water bowser running around the track between each session throughout the day and they are fighting a losing battle against the clouds of dust.

RACE 1

I’ve forgotten what peg Row draws but he lines himself up just slightly outside of middle - GO – Row hits it and slots into 7th place hanging on to the back of the lead bunch, just behind him is his big rival Levi (our aim for the day is to beat him !), Row manfully holds Levi at bay, Row is faster in some places and Levi in others, they are holding station with the front group as well.

Last lap and Levi is really hounding Row, showing his front wheel and trying to muscle Row out, they come round to a point in the track where there are two routes, the fast line round the outside which leads into a big double jump or the inside slower line which leads into a series of smaller jumps, Levi goes for the outside, whilst Row stays tight, on the exit Levi clears the double giving him more momentum into the following corner, Row holds the inside but Levi is travelling much quicker and just squeezes around the outside blocking Row into the following series of corners, Row is all over him like a rash! but cannot get him back – phew, they both finish the race and its all smiles and thumbs up as they come off the track.

So its 8th place for a hot, sweaty and happy Row

RACE 2

Its really good to be lining up in 8th place, seeing the field lined up behind you !

Row selects a gate position nearer the centre this time, the gate drops, Row gets not quite as good start and exits the first bend in 9th place, he stays there for one lap right behind em!, 2nd lap and Row picks one off into a downhill left hairpin (a typical up the inside out braking manoeuvre) – 8th – the next one is taken on a flat out run into a sweeping bumpy bend – 7th- I am shouting myself hoarse! Row is now just in front of a pack of 5 riders all swapping positions and trying to get him back, but despite the pressure (and a couple of passing manoeuvres on him) Row holds on for an excellent 7th place. It’s a big slap on the back from me and Row is buzzing (and steaming in the heat).

Back at the Van we strip Row down and douse him in cold water, he’s in danger of overheating from both the sun and the excitement of the last race, Levi finished behind Row in 10th place so we are beating him overall – excellent.

RACE 3

Row is late onto the gate (he was off watching the other races when he should have been getting ready) but manages to get a reasonable place – 15 second board goes up, revs rise, 5 second board – revs go up some more – GO – clouds of dust go up as they appear after the first corner, I count em out 1 -2 – and then Row!, over the first jump Row gets done by two (it looked to me like they jumped over him!) – 5th place and right in the mix the front two get away then the next two then Row once again leading a bunch of 5 or 6, but this time Row ekes out a gap. Meanwhile Levi is pulling through from 9th place.

Last lap and Levi has halved the gap, they come around the dual bit and Levi goes for the double and does the same overtake as in race 1, with only two corners Row has no chance to get him back so a 6th place finish is the result.

Well what a day, Row is well smug with his race results, although he knows that if he had enough courage to go for the double (like Levi) he could have done better. However overall we have beaten Levi due to our better 2nd race result.

But we don’t care!
oldboyonrgv

Postby phlat65 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 pm

WOW!!!!! If I close my eyes, I can almost picture it! speaking of pictures.....

Cheers dad, I will crack one in your honour :-D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Return to Main Lobby