Titling a bike in Ohio...

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Titling a bike in Ohio...

Postby MZ250Ben » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:15 pm

I figured I'd share this on the off-chance that anyone else out there ever makes the mistake of buying a bike with no title, and I'd like to hear what the laws and procedures are in the ares where others are from.
Here's the story: My 74 TS250 was purchased new by my grandfather in 1974. 10 years later, he took 4-year old me for a ride on it around the yard. My sisters and I killed the battery by playing "camera" with the brake light. My grandfather was never able to get it running again, though evidence suggests he did try. He died about 22 years ago, and two years ago I dug the bike out of the garage and began to restore it to pass the time while minding my ailing grandmother. A year later, I have a wonderfully running bike, but no title or registration was found in any of my grampa's papers. Surprising, because he saved EVERYTHING. So, what do I need to do to get a title? In Ohio, this is the process:

1) Go to the clerk of courts and get the instructional packet.
2) Go to the title bureau and have a VIN search done to check for liens and stolen vehicle reports.
3) Go to the BMV and pay $53.50 for a highway patrol inspection receipt.
4) Schedule an inspection with the highway patrol.
5) Take the bike to the inspection station so they can look at the VIN (again) and basically do what the license bureau did in step 2.
6) Gather any and all evidence of ownership, or evidence supporting your right to ownership. In this case, I had $2200 in new parts/tools/paint receipts, and some typed correspondence between my grandfather and the dealership dating to 1975. Write a little essay about how you got the bike, and why you think it should be yours.
7) Submit all the above paperwork to the clerk of courts, and have some of it notarized. You then file a case AGAINST the clerk of courts, petitioning them for a title. Pay $257 for this.
8) Wait 2 months for them to respond, which is a form letter saying you violated the law by obtaining a vehicle with no title, and asking the court to dismiss the case at your expense.
9) Wait another month for the judge to respond and give you a court date...in 2 more months.
10) Go to court, and plead your case. The judge can say yes or no, and you still are out the 300+ beans.

Now, I got lucky, because the county prosecutor called me the day before the hearing and said their client (the clerk of courts) in amenable to issuing me a title if I dismiss my case. So I went and signed the agreement, and got the judge's order the next day...8 1/2 months after step 1. On the plus side, since I paid $0 for the bike, I paid $0 in tax.

So, is it this bad in every state/country? I am seriously going to contact my state legislators and see about getting the law amended to exclude bikes over a certain vintage. To that end, I'd like some references to how other states do this kind of thing, so I have some sort of template to work with. Thanks for any input!
MZ250Ben

Re: Titling a bike in Ohio...

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:46 pm

any time you deal with a dmv its a pain

even if every thing is correct on your part they will screw it up

even with me owining 3 mz bikes west virginia dmv still does not know what they are..
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby therealche » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

And we think the DVLA is bad in the UK!
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby MZCountryRider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:46 am

Or you could skip all of that, register it in Vermont, then use the registration (VT doesn't title vehicles over 15 years old) to obtain a title in your state. Works in nearly every state and only costs around $150.
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby AlanJ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:40 am

Hi Ben,
Great post, as was said above DVLA takes some beating. I must say though if you look at my last post you will see I am trying to ship a bike from Ohio to Cambridge in UK and I will tell you that takes more than just a little bit of sorting. I have been at it for a week and I am still not talking to the shipping people yet.
The amazing thing is that most of the people are agencies and the sad part is in a way we put them there in the first place, the trouble is they forget that, and we, sadly pay the price. I have often thought that with technology as it is now we should get together a bit more and give them a shove up their backsides more often.
Wish you all well and have a great one when it comes, take care Alan
AlanJ

Return to Main Lobby