Bike not run for some time

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Bike not run for some time

Postby AlanJ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:10 am

Hi All,
As you might have seen, I have just got hold of a couple of Saxon Tour 301's and as one of them has a Powerdynamo system I was looking on their site as I have a problem without sparks, I came across the following which I thought might be a help to new members on buying an older not used recently MZ.
◾Always use new fuel. Fuels age quite rapidly, sometimes after a year they will be wothless already.

◾Thoroughly clean the carburettor, fuel tank and filters.

◾Check crank shaft oil seals (for 2-strokes)

If your machine has covered high mileage, isn’t used regularly, or been stood in the corner of your garage for the last twelve months or more then the chances are that the crankcase seals would have hardened and have lost their flexibility at the lip. The springs in the back in the lip will not be strong enough to over come this hardness so the seals will not grab the crank and seal properly.
Symptoms include poor starting and idling, spiting back, engine starts and stops, poor performance and excessive smoke etc caused by negative pressure pulling oil/air into the crankcase from the gearbox through the suspect seals and the gearbox oil will be lost.

Another simple check is to remove the carburettor from the inlet stub and while kicking over the motor so it is spinning rapidly place the palm of your hand or a piece of paper over the inlet stub and check the suction, if it is very little its time for new seals.

◾Check the airfilter and the exhaust system . If that is clogged you stand no chance of the engine starting. Paper filters might have sucked in moisture acting as a screen.
There you go, I thought this might help someone. Take care All Alan.
Last edited by AlanJ on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanJ

Re: Bike not run for some time

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:31 pm

letting a bike set is almost as hard on it as running it near WFO all the time
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby AlanJ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi Dave,
It seems that way, the trouble is for me, the complete 301 has the Powerdynamo and with no sparks, so I have started by taking the blue wire (kill switch wire) off the coil pack but still no sparks so other than sending the lot back to PD in Germany I am not sure what to do, I wont give up just yet though.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Guesi » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:02 am

Sometimes the inition coil need an extra ground wire.
Maybe that is the problem ?
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby AlanJ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Guesi,
You could be right and I must say it was loose on the frame before I unbolted it. I have checked everything else I can think of and talking to Edgar at Powerdynamo I get the impression the coil pack can't be checked by me so, I will clamp it soundly to the frame and give it another try, fingers crossed.
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Guesi,
Sadly the fingers didn't help, I have sent mail to Edgar at PD, he will probably come back to me on Monday about the coil pack, he has already said that coil packs do not usually cause a problem. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Main Lobby