Please excuse my inappropriate behaviour

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Please excuse my inappropriate behaviour

Postby dickl » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 am

I went for a fantastic day out on the bike yesterday to Aberystwyth; a round trip of 320 miles. There were a couple of showers along the way but generally dry and sunny. There were other bikes about, and it to the riders of most of them that I need to apologise. I did not mean to cause offence by waving a greeting to you nor did I in any way wish to suggest that yourr large, shiny new (ish) machines, or your splendidly attired selves have anything in common with little old me on my 29 year old machine (still large and shiny!). I'm sorry, it was all my fault I must have mistaken you all for fellow bikers/motorcyclists!! :wink:

On another subject......my wife thinks I'm turning into a grumpy old man. I can't think to what she refers!!
dickl

Re: Please excuse my inappropriate behaviour

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:44 am

dickl i stopped waving years ago where i live there not bikers none of them know what an MZ is -- and they keep calling my old BMW a BSA

and you have a hard time explaining to them if its less than 400cc its just a big moped :-D

lot of Honda grom's running around only way most people can afford a new bike the big toys cost to much...
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby dandywarhol » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:21 pm

"Bikers" in general are cnuts. I ride a rough Honda scooter in winter and my Yamaha TRX850/SZR660 in summer. There's a twat on a "sportsbike" who will ignore me on the scoot but waves like a tsunami when I'm on the others.

I've stopped waving at anybody these days - well, maybe a slight head twitch on occasion :roll:
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby Invictaview » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Glad to hear that not much has changed these past few years it seems :roll: :!:
Same has occurred to me on several occasions, latest time only last Saturday afternoon.
Ran out of petrol on my XS, on the A20 outside Maidstone, and being a fair good weather day, no less than 6 bikes passed me by in the 30 minutes I was there.
Added to all the other traffic, the only person that showed any interest was my nearby brother, who came out with a spare can to get me home!
Nothing changes :roll:
And lesson learned on this one, I must remember to always carry some cash/card, even for the shortest of runs! (I guess I misjudged how many miles I'd recently done :oops: ).
And that's only the second occasion in 25 years riding that I've actually ran out of fuel :!: Although it could so nearly have been three times, and twice in one day! I got home, swapped bikes and ran the Saxon back to brothers place, to pay him back the £10 fuel money, and blow me down, the Saxon too went on reserve!! Alas, I had made sure to put into practice what I mentioned above, and had just put a spare £20 inside the case of my mobile :!: Think about it, it's the ideal place, as, who goes anywhere these days without there mobile :) :smt006

Alan
MZ Saxon Tour 301
Yamaha XS650D
Invictaview

Postby Invictaview » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:29 pm

This weekend, my wave was ignored as I passed a trike rider on the M20 Saturday. But today, I had no less than three high speed waves from bods passing me on the M25/M4. :smt005 :smt006
Seems to me, some people get a whiff of the 2T and just know this is an interesting bike up ahead! :-D
MZ Saxon Tour 301
Yamaha XS650D
Invictaview

Postby Johnhenry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this anomaly as I'd put it down to a trick of the light - that when I ride any smaller bike or scooter I become invisible not just to all the cars that become obsessed trying to overtake me but also to other two wheeled riders coming the opposite direction who obviously can't see me or else they'd nod - Yet when I ride my larger Jap bike wearing the same clothing and helmet - 'hey presto' - I re-appear!
Johnhenry

Postby tigcraft » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 am

I think it’s the old rule that applies, small bike, no full license presumably, not a proper biker yet! It’s wrong to think like that if you’ve no L plates but they still do.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 am

Here we have no Learner plate you can build a custom and put a spitfire plane engine on it ..

makes for a nasty page 3 every spring...as the idiots launch there new rocket ships into brick walls and deep river valleys
dave

:smt023
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Johnhenry » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:56 pm

I've got an ETZ 125 and an ETZ 251 - both great bikes - but I've also got a Honda CB1100 EX which is also a great bike but it annoys me that if I'm out on my 125 - other riders 'assume' that's my only bike - they know nothing about me or my biking history - when I had a Yamaha T Max 500 scooter no one acknowledged me - even old fashioned scooter riders - so I don't nod to anyone anymore - must be grumpy old man syndrome - I past my bike test on a Honda S90 in 1969 so I've been round the block a few times !!
Johnhenry

Postby dirtsurfer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:14 pm

I have given this some thought over my riding career; nearly 50 years; as motorcycles have become more popular and the market has been fragmented so there a various specific types of motorbikes. I wave, nod or gesticulate acknowledgment to any on coming rider whenever I can, no matter what I am riding. But I don't expect reciprocation. If another rider is keeping both elbows locked to avoid a tank slapper or has brake and clutch levers caught in holes in their gloves so cannot lift their hands, I understand. Or if a bloke is rumbling along with his homies in a leather vest and a buff with skeletal teeth printed on it, Its OK that he doesn't notice a "citizen" for fear of being seen fraternizing. Then there the "Ape Hanger" thing that as soon as the hand leaves the grip the fatigued arm just drops involuntarily to the downward position. I appreciate that many modern bike riders have a vast array of dash indicators and menu options to monopolize their focus so I wouldn't presume that they are necessarily looking in the direction of another rider on the road ahead. I speculate (often) that some sport bike riders are completely focused on the perfect line into the next corner or are so gripped with fear; having overtaken all of their buddies and are now leading the pack; that they now have to sustain their position to save face until the next café stop so expecting them to lift more than a pinky is hoping for too much.
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Johnhenry » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

After 50 years of bike ownership I trust my own instincts - it's all changed now bikes are a fashion accessory - some owned by born agains with disposable income but can't afford a sports car and have recently passed their bike test - they're really car drivers on bikes - no I don't nod!!
Johnhenry

Return to Main Lobby