95 Skorpion Sport feeler

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

95 Skorpion Sport feeler

Postby suburbanrobot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am

Hello all, I'm a newbie here and came across a 95 Skorpion Sport with 18k in miles and appears almost new... so I put $$$ down on it.

I have been riding since I was 9 and like different, so the MZ to me is exotic.
As a non-mechanic, is this bike going to be a maintenance nightmare for me?

Rode the bike yesterday and I was very impressed, everything seemed in order, did not fully check out the instrument cluster.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for as a red flag before buying this bike?
any help is appreciated :)

Jeffrey
Suburbanrobot
1995 Skorpion Sport
suburbanrobot

Re: 95 Skorpion Sport feeler

Postby rcbikeracer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 am

I have a had a Skorpion for two years, only problems have been down to vibration. lost the sidestand bolt twice, headlight connections twice, the rear indicators fell to bits and various fairing bolts have flashed past my ears at motorway speeds. Keep the revs up when riding 4 - 5 grand is good on mine. For serious track use, balance shaft, de-compressor and timing chain will be problems. For road use it should be bullet proof, and fun, some of the sportier riders claim it will embarrass bigger bikes in the twistier bits. buy, ride and enjoy.
rcbikeracer

Re: 95 Skorpion Sport feeler

Postby billr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 pm

suburbanrobot wrote:
As a non-mechanic, is this bike going to be a maintenance nightmare for me?
Jeffrey

I've ridden a Skorpion for 8 years. Throughly enjoyable.
Mine has been very reliable.
Basically change the oil, check the valve clearance as scheduled and ride.

I don't have any experience using a mechanic (I do all my own work).
However, when I have needed parts, the local dealers don't know what a MZ is.
I did have one independent shop (out of business now) that would work on anything where I bought most of the things I needed.
Issues:
I had a broken diode in the wiring harness (dead bike). It's hidden in the taped up sections. Not easy to find (took a day getting to and peeling the tape off the harness), easy to fix once it was dug out.
Carb rebuild (there's a small filter hidden under the float valve that can get clogged up).

They are different and a great ride. Best handling bike I've ever ridden.
BIllR
billr

Return to Main Lobby