Parking lot racing.

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Parking lot racing.

Postby phlat65 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:08 pm

Brian and I met up with a local Supermoto racer today and tore up a parking lot! Man that was fun.... MZ owners should rejoyce, I gave a KTM 525 SM a run for his money. the more I push this bike, the happier I feel about my choice! And I can ride it to work every day :-D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby 125SMash » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:50 am

cool

what kinda racing did you do, drag or actually set up a mock course of some sort?

did the racer try to use displacement as the excuse in the end? :-D
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:51 pm

smash579 wrote:cool

what kinda racing did you do, drag or actually set up a mock course of some sort?

did the racer try to use displacement as the excuse in the end? :-D

raced around tires/cones.......the KTM definately has more pull in a straight line being 80-100 lbs less in weight and this one having been modded has similar hp........ on such a tight coarse my standard version couldn't flick over side to side like the 3" shorter bikes could :cry:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby 125SMash » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:51 pm

sounds fun..

i take it phlat had a bit more luck in the race?
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:49 pm

Sean has had years of MX experience coupled with the shorter bike made it very hard for me to keep up..... this is my first bike in 20 yrs and at this point I have about 1600 miles on her now........on tight twisty roads there was a time when Sean would leave me literally in the dust...... I have been coached by Sean on handling the bike on parking lot coarses and have sped up dramatically.... on twisty roads I am starting to late brake and have the back end starting to back in, only because I don't have very good entry speed sense.... so good and bad I guess..... Coming out of second gear corners I'm actually getting rear tire to drift a couple to 3 inches, which is the only way you can keep up with my fellow Baggy owner. Sean and I went on a great ride on sunday with a bunch of crotch rockets in the twisties..... Sean being Sean likes to pick on the fast guy :twisted: his new name is scrapper ! The leader was on a 954 RR and in some sections was holding Sean up, yup yours truly lost alittle ground but got back to a to about 300 yds behind... on a short straight stretch I saw almost 100 mph as I was laying on my tank.... thinking that feckin Sean is gonna kill me... when we pulled over the rest of the group showed up 3 or 4 minutes later !! Riding home with that crazed fellow Sean I was feeling like a stud....also thinking that guy on the big Honda must have been tired of seeing Sean in his mirror the whole way. Hopefully their ego's will allow them to invite us again :oops:
actually we just showed up.... well we'll just show up again :twisted: Besides Phlat has as much fun as I did..... maybe more :wink:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby 125SMash » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:22 pm

nice. looks like you had a blast :wink:

its pretty damn cool that you got an experienced buddy to ride with,
and having those 'twisties' near by cant hurt the whole riding experience either :-D

all we got in NYC is boring grid streets, crazy cabbies and plain straightways in the suburbs... :smt011
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:22 pm

oh yea, every ride is more fun than the one before.... the coaching, Thanks Shooon, is very helpful, the first thing I learned was to stay back abit and let him hit the corner, he brakes very late and sets up quickly, so you have to watch and learn from his entry speed and lean angle.
When I see him brake I'd pick a landmark and for the first while brake before that spot as to scrub off speed and practice going around the corner under harder acceleration... just when I start braking at his spot and I'm on his ass he will brake even deeper aaaassshole....
The same bike with the same tires is primo, because I always think If his tires can hang sooo can mine... :shock: :wink:
We will definately post some action shots and maybe get a link going for some live footage.... Mr Phlat will be swapping my MT 60's off tommorrow for the much antcipated Diablos, (he has a machine at his job) I will be the Guinea Pig........squeek squeek (personally I'd rather he kept his aging tires on :wink: :wink: nudge nudge know what I mean :smt115 )
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby phlat65 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:27 pm

thanks for the props brian :twisted: you are getting much faster!!
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:31 pm

phlat65 wrote:thanks for the props brian :twisted: you are getting much faster!!

Just keep sendin the money Brudda :-D
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Return to Main Lobby