Should I buy a Skorpion?

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Should I buy a Skorpion?

Postby Hamhock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:27 am

This is my first post here and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/2002-muz-mz-skorpion-660/6467602424.html

I spotted this for sale a few days ago and have been reading here non stop for days. I'm meeting the seller tomorrow afternoon to check the bike out. As best I can tell its a 2002 Skorpion Tour. current owner bought it last September. His story is that the guy he bought it from swapped in the CBR600F2 front end right before he bought it and that he hasn't really ridden it more than around town. If that's true its only got 11km (6800 miles). Seems Paolini ffork legs are gone. What do you guys think? I really don't want to spend more than 1K on it.

EDIT: Forgot link
Hamhock

Re: Should I buy a Skorpion?

Postby droy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 am

Looks in decent shape. I'm doing a CBR front end conversion now myself. It's been done a few times. Wheel is muck lighter and you get the duel disks.

You'll need to spend $150 and get something like a Trailtech electric speedo/tach and remove the current speedo.

I'd start at $1100 and see how it goes.
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Hamhock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 am

droy wrote:You'll need to spend $150 and get something like a Trailtech electric speedo/tach and remove the current speedo.

I've spent the last three years daily riding a CB450SC with no gauges or dummy lights, not gonna start worrying about that now.

What does concern me is the relative lack of parts. I know these 660 engines are rock solid and Yamaha has all the engine bits I could need. If I buy it, it's gonna become my new daily, for a while at least.

Most everything I've read from guys who own these say they change the oil, do the valves, replace the rubbers and chains and that's all they really need. Has this been your experience droy?
Hamhock

Postby droy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:05 am

Yes - engine is bulletproof. I have over 60k on one of mine that I bought new.

Drain the float bowl ever few months, keep fresh fuel in it and add a large volume fuel filter because they tend to collect crap. Some of the tanks swell and the paint will crack.

Keep the electrics free from corrosion and lube the controls.

Most of the parts can be exchanged for other Yamaha (controls and engine) or Ducati parts (brakes).

As you can see I'm a fan - my only make for the last 20 years.
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Return to Main Lobby