More questions on MZ ETZ250 Luxus

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

More questions on MZ ETZ250 Luxus

Postby arthurf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 pm

G'day all,
Still have the clutch problem - no idea what is wrong.
Next having been for a ride on the bike, it slowed down, would not rev, and would only run for about 10 seconds thereafter.
I got it home and took off the carburettor - the needle jet was only finger tight, everything else looked just as it should.
After putting the carb back on the bike, it started and I thought that it was OK. Now what could have caused the slowing down and reluctance to rev? My best guess is that before going on the run the bike was sitting ticking over for 10-15 minutes, and then our run was very slow (max 65 kph for about 10 kms) and I think I may have made the problem worse by riding in top gear but at low speed and low revs - would this cause the carburettor/silencer to "gas up"?
Couple of days later (today in fact) it would not start - followed the usual starting procedure, but no luck. Although the bike did backfire through the silencer a few times, it would not run. Maybe the silencer is still gassed up?
Being a Luxus, there are no points to check, but the plug did spark. Do I need to find out how to check the ignition timing, and do that?
Cheers, Arthur
arthurf

Re: More questions on MZ ETZ250 Luxus

Postby Blurredman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:47 am

It's a possibility that the spark plug might have got sooty?
What did it look like?

I know if I undergear and slow speed my MZ, it is a bit wooly until I pick up speed a bit. However, saying that- I run on 30:1 oil and slightly richer on the petrol too..

You could also touch your coil, if it is boiling hot, that could be a reason why it would stop.. In my experience of MZ coil degredation, they tend to make a puff before they die. A last breath as it were.. Anyway.. It can still spark because by the time you have got the spark plug out it might have cooled down sufficienty. So it is rather like the bike is lying to you.

You could do the timing of the ignition indeed. But, just because it is a luxus does not mean it is electronic ignition at all. Infact, MZ ETZ250 are not electronic ignition out the factory. Only the 1989 251's onwards are, and even then it was just an 'extra'. :)

Luxus just means that it has an oil pump, disc front brake and tachometer.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 am

Puffs wrote:Mine's a '89 251 UK export model, with an oil pump, disc brake, rev. counter AND a horn - but points. Not sure if they ever got supplied w/ electronic ignition coming from Germany; maybe the Turkish Kanuni did.

Best check the ignition (0.3 - 0.4mm gap, opening 2.5 - 3.0mm BTDC).

Also check that your fuel cock supplies sufficient flow of petrol/oil mixture.

I believe that the '89 was originally points, but from the same year until '91, three variations on the electronic ignition were used with the third, even having the electronic rev counters..
I think these years were a bit frantic for the company post 1989. I have seen many variations on the 251 regarding bits that were put on it seemingly out of the factory that don't coincide parts wise with the previous or later months. My '90 originally had points..I don't know at what point they made one of the electronic ignition's standard, but to me, it seems like it was either an extra you paid or you were lucky to get one with electronic ignition for no increased price.

The release of the 251 also coincided with the fuzziest time in the company.

But.. enough of that. As Puffs has talked about fuel flow, this has reminded me of the time my tank cap was not breathing as the hole was blocked and the tank was presurised as fuel lowered- stopping the fuel flow..
Next time it stops in the way you have described.. Take the fuel line off and open the tap and see how well the fuel flows.. It certainly does not take long for a bike to empty a fuel bowl, so a nice flow is required.

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:08 am

I stand corrected on the supply of electronic ignition, and I really don't know what those guys did back then. There was also something with a wall.
On my bike the points have always worked well, but do require a bit of fiddling every now & then. Electronic ignition is always desirable.
Puffs

Postby arthurf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm

G'day All,
Very many thanks for all the help, info, and support - it is really outstanding for someone totally new to MZ's.
The ETZ is now behaving itself. The clutch still drags a bit, but may have to stay that way for a while.
Checked the fuel cap, cleaned the plug and away she went. I still think that the problem lay in riding the bike at too low revs (ie too high a gear for the speed at which we were travelling).
As for the electronic ignition on the 87 ETZ 250 Luxus - I had been led to believe that it was a standard. So how do I identify whether mine has points (ie where are they) or electronic ignition (what to look for).
Keep up the good work, and (again) many thanks.
Arthurf
arthurf

Postby Blurredman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 am

Take off the right hand side cover of the engine. This is the chain and alternator enclosement.

Take a picture of the stator/alternator unit. I can then tell you what you have 8)

Blurredman

Return to Main Lobby