Newbie MZ owner in Zomerzet

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Newbie MZ owner in Zomerzet

Postby SomersetSkorpion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 am

Hi all,

I purchased my first MZ a Skorpion Sport a couple of weeks ago and have been hard at work preparing it for its MoT (Monday weather permitting) I say hard at work in reality the bike only needed a replacement mirror glass, a new battery, one number plate bolt in yellow and a carb strip clean and reassemble.

I took a Skorpion out for a test ride many years ago and wasn't sure wether to go for a CBR600 or the Skorpion by the time I decided I wanted the Skorpion it had sold and so been looking for one on and off ever since eventually this one turned up about 30 miles from home so buying this one was an easy decision to make, you can buy a good CBR any day of the week these are a little harder to find :D

I've already found some useful information on here so thought it only polite to say hello.

:)
SomersetSkorpion

Re: Newbie MZ owner in Zomerzet

Postby Puffs » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:11 am

Welcome and I hope you'll enjoy your MZ!
Puffs

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am

I recommissioned my Traveller recently after being stood for a few years, very pleased I am too!

got some comfort issues to resolve (bars a bit low for my liking) but glad to have her back

:)
Ally

Postby tigcraft » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:37 pm

The CBR I find is uninspiring, ten a penny! I just want to fall asleep with the thought of it. It has no sole but on the other hand the Skorpion has character, soul and there is something about it other bikes dont have. Maybe its back to basics where its just the rider, two wheels, a single cylinder primitive engine and open country roads where the thrills between 50-80mph are of just pure misile cornering. The other thing is that when you eventually find one they are far the cheapest sports single out there, cheaper than the SZR660, the Gilera Satuno, Bimota and GB500 and anything else. I did try the SZR once but it was cramped, considering I'm 5'6" I found the Skorpion more of a comfortable stretch. On the whole, they are a brilliant package Vs fun.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby Puffs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 am

Yes.

So will we ever be satisfied with an electric bike when society forces that upon us?
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 pm

they will not be in very many sheds
Like the new cars they will be too expensive to buy

even used even now a basic new car costs more than all the bikes i have ever owned

i bought good new bikes and rode them till they were well used parts bikes

now a new bike is too pricey to even go look at

used cars where i live 5,000 usd gets you a 15 year old 200,000 mile piece of junk

and repair is a crap shoot as car dealers can not find people to work
on the electrical in a regular car or an electrical type either

Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 am

There will be both expensive and cheap new electric bikes, as is already the case now. There is choice. For instance: if you insist on a new incarnation of Sarolea you'll have to dig deep into your pocket, Zero seems fairly affordable, yet Chinese or Indian produce comes cheaper. And given time I suspect prices will come down further. On the other hand, I anticipate that particularly running costs for fuel-driven vehicles will explode, and now there is already rumours of them becoming forbidden by 2050. While money is not what I intended to discus, it is exactly through money that I expect society will force electric bikes upon us.

Tying in to tigcraft, I was aiming at character. Or rather the lack thereof, as I suspect applies to electric bikes (I have never tried one).
Last edited by Puffs on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 am

I've ridden an electric bike.. My god the torque..! :shock:

The silent torque.. It's like some invisible hand giving you a push..

The one benefit I see... or hear... will be on those sunny days whilst riding through single laned countryside, how often do you stop and turn the engine off to just 'listen'.. ? I do sometimes, and It's almost the biggest pleasure ever.

With an electric bike you could whizz by the ford https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_(crossing) or river and horses neying.. Things you don't hear unless you turn the engine off.. I think it might be a pleaseant experience..
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:14 pm

turn the engine off to just 'listen'..

my r50 s BMW was very quiet and saved my butt several times because i could hear other car and bikes
driven by hot roding careless riders/drivers

dave

friend has an electric moped
we made him a noise maker so walkers could tell he was nearby
so he does not run someone over
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 am

Torque is good, but I still have to see people like Rea or Rossi ride one of these quicker than their normal bikes over a full race. With advancing battery technology that may come - but they'll still wear earplugs. Wind noise? Loud pipes save lives?

Silence & a flat torque curve don't really contribute to character, IMO. Yes, from the engineers point of view a flat torque curve is desirable, and from the racer's too actually. But I like feeling the torque coming in when I get the engine in the right rev range. Or the vibes of a big single (or twin). It's alive...

But you're right, I have to get experience with an electric bike first.

Apologies to SomersetSkorpion, for hijacking your thread...
Puffs

Postby SomersetSkorpion » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:04 pm

I wasn't going to mention the hijacking :shock:

Well the bike passed the MoT with no advisories, my MoT inspector was waiting by the door for me as he could hear me coming and was wondering what it was 'That sounds nice' he said, the joys of the Remus titanium exhaust.

To do list is minor things really:

Oil and Filter change.

Make adaptor plate to fit K&N cone air filter in standard air box.

Remove heated grips and replace with standard looking items.

Replace damaged brake lever.

Recover pilots seat.

Adjust side stand. Do they always lean over so far or is mine bent somewhere?

Replace headlight (still running the original!)

I have also tried an electric bike it was a prototype MX style bike made locally and I was also impressed with the torque, silent torque! It's a bit strange hearing the rear tyre gripping the road surface on hard acceleration and no engine noise but I liked it.
SomersetSkorpion

Return to Main Lobby