Sorry for the late introduction.

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Sorry for the late introduction.

Postby nice2day » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:09 am

I have just realised I did not introduce myself on this forum.. I should explain though: I was, or still am, a previous member but having lost my USER ID and password, was unable to sign in. I could not reset anything because there was no way I could get a new password if I had forgotten my previous user name which I have done and could not get in touch with any of the administrators. I also had to use my second email address to rejoin but no bother, I'm happy with the new ID... Anyway, I'm really pleased to be able to join in and chat with MZ enthusiasts again. I have 3x MZ's: 1984 TS125/150 1993 Saxon Tour 301 and an 1988 ETZ 250....So hello to everyone and I wish you all the very best of health and sorry it's a little late. My very best regards....Les
nice2day

Re: Sorry for the late introduction.

Postby Blurredman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:12 am

Welcome :)

Where do you live?
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby nice2day » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 am

Thank you very much Blurredman, I feel privileged to be able to chat amongst you all. I live in West Somerset. (west of the Quantocks) ….Les :)
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 am

Welcome back Les!

That's quite a collection of MZs. I only have 1, a '89 251.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Thank you very much Puffs. As regards my MZ's, I have just three and only one, the Saxon 301, was bought new. The TS125 was the bike that returned me to motorcycles after a few years absence. I bought it for £54 in 1990. It was in pretty good nick with a very low mileage apart from the fact that the main bearings were completely worn out making me think the owner had run it on neat petrol with no oil. After the rebuild I always run it on 33:1 to protect the small main bearings. When Wilf green closed down I bought a new 150 barrel piston and carb for it. The increase in power was worth it. The thing I found disconcerting with the Saxon was the complete lack of confidence I have cornering on it. Irrespective of what tyres it has on it and spring poundage, I get no feedback at all from the front end and even in a straight line I feel slightly nervous to the point of feeling dizzy when filtering in long lines of slow traffic...it's most weird. That's why I have bought the ETZ which I hope will feel more stable....Anyone else have any views on the Saxon Tour's handling?
All the best

Les
nice2day

Postby Blurredman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Unfortunately I have never tried a Saxon..

I presume there are no 'spacers' utop the springs in the forks to stiffen up the suspension?

Pics of your bikes please :)

Blurredman

Postby nice2day » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Hi Burredman. Re Saxon Tour steering:
I did fit the Burwins racing springs which helped fractionally and lessened the heavy diving when applying the brake. I would say though I think the springs were perhaps slightly too hard as the braking weight transfer was decreased to a point that the tyre felt as if it was not digging in on the initial application. Maybe the steering (vagueness) was adversely affected by the fairly heavy handlebar fairing which could have added some inertial effect away from the straight ahead position, thus spoiling the self centering action and feedback?....Anyway, I will try to get some photos on here of the MZ's I have (thanks for asking) but it will be a some time off due to the bikes being trapped in the garage because of other work going on currently.
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:51 am

On running a 2T without oil: I suspect you should see clear signs on the piston & barrel (if not a total seizure), and after that the small end & big end to go, in that order, while the main bearings I would expect to go last. Possibly what happened is that it was assembled with the main bearings under axial load. That might cause extra wear.

Your '93 Saxon Tour looks presumably like this:Image
To me that looks quite similar to my ETZ 251, with the exception of several cosmetic differences. Structural differences like cast wheels & another disk should not really impact the handling, but it also might have a different frame. (I don't know the Saxon, but the pillion footrests seem different, as does the centre stand.) And of course I cannot see how the forks work, or the shocks for that matter.

From what you describe I'd have a look at the damping, of both the forks and the shocks. Compare them individually (left vs. right). Take out the front wheel, remove mudguard & unscrew the cap holding the spring, then feel if the damping left & right feels the same, & check if oil level is same. Replace oil? Shocks similar, take off & remove springs, put them in the vise & feel if they function same. If you can service these, consider new oil. If so desired you can increase or decrease the damping (on either end) by using thicker or thinner oil, while the oil level in the forks will impact how progressive the springing action is.

Spacers on top of the springs can be used to alter the preload, impacting the neutral position of the forks, and with that the whole bike. But the standard should be OK. For a high mileage bike the forks can become laterally weak (handlebar can move while wheel doesn't), and of course the steering head needs to be in good order.

I'd be surprised if it's that fairing. But of course maybe yours looks different.

Good luck!
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 am

Yes indeed- as puffs said,

When was the last time the front end was re-built? It should be done every few years, not just when the seals start leaking. 8)
Perhaps try a thinner oil next time.. What is in it at the minute?

A lot of manufacturer's like Honda just advise Automatic transmission fluid. If you know what you put in it last time, you could try a lower weight?

Blurredman

Return to Main Lobby