Newbie asks: Guitars, Cadillacs, hillbilly music?

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Newbie asks: Guitars, Cadillacs, hillbilly music?

Postby JimBuck2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:13 am

Are my MZ parts going to the scrap metal yard along with my Guitars, Cadillacs, hillbilly music? Sell them to a custom chopper shop to create the latest trend; Supermoto hardtails?
Send to Roland Sands as a Flat Track Hooligan bike project?

2001 MZ 660 Baghira, Red, approximately 4K miles. Have clear title.
The bike has been disassembled and stored indoors for years. This is due to the engine requiring a complete top end and bottom end repair. All parts are there for the complete motorcycle and in great condition.
Also considering these options:
1. Rebuilding the Yamaha 660. When I looked into this in the past, mechanics familiar with the Yamaha Raptor 660 were uncertain if this engine was different spec and were concerned it might fail if raptor parts are used. It's also an expensive fix given the resale value of the motorcycle. Is this a ridiculous solution?
2. FInd/Buy a donor bike at scrap metal prices, since nobody seems to know what the hell an MZ is anyway?
3. Selling for parts?
4. Selling all to a rider or mechanic that would rebuild it?
? ? ?
Questions:
-Is there a shop in the (Western) US that is somewhat familiar with the MZ 660?
-Is my reality that my MZ parts going to the scrap metal yard?

Thanks in advance for your consideration and advice,
Jimmy
JimBuck2

Re: Newbie asks: Guitars, Cadillacs, hillbilly music?

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:30 am

what is your city some one might take it and ride it
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby JimBuck2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I'm now in Reno area of Nevada.
Also travel to Northern CA/access to Sacramento and San Francisco.
JimBuck2

Postby Puffs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:29 am

Jimmy,

sorry, I'm no expert on waste management in Nevada. However, I'd suggest that items with value can be sold, or donated as you wish.

On the other hand, after just 4k miles the bike should still be virtually new, certainly in your dry climate, bar of course that something went wrong to cause engine failure (no oil, maybe?). I believe the engine is the one from the Yamaha XTZ660, an excellent engine. Parts for that should be easily available, and if you want someone else to do the mechanics work for you, I'd look for a Yamaha workshop. Or any good general mechanic.

Suggest to confirm on the 660 forum: viewforum.php?f=3 as I've had several XT's, but never an MZ 660. Unfortunately - I'd love to have one, and if I lived closer I'd happily take your 'problem' off you!
Puffs

Postby JimBuck2 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, it's all been stored indoors for years and is fairly neatly organized. No corrosion and near new components. I meant to propose the scrap option half joking - but only as a last resort. Perhaps the Bay Area, Sacramento and Maybe LA Craigslist would draw the [few] remaining MZ faithful out? Needle in a haystack though. After that there is EBAY, but that could be a long, tedious and expensive way to part it out. I suppose I could just do a 'take it all' ad...in all of the above. As I mentioned, back when this damage occurred, I did some research on the rebuild option. Perhaps because the engine is are so strong, very little was known about the exact tolerances and compatibility of the Yamaha vs. MZ/Yamaha sourced 660 motors. The Yamaha Raptor quads used that engine also I believe...
JimBuck2

Postby tfmktm » Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Do you still have this parts bike? What was the issue with the engine?
Thanks!
tfmktm
tfmktm
2007 675
2003 TTR 225
2001 Baghira
1994 900SS
tfmktm

Postby JimBuck2 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 am

Sorry for the delay in reply.
Yes, still have the bike.
Located in Nevada.
JimBuck2

Return to Main Lobby