MZ 1000s

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ 1000s

Postby Retired1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:02 pm

New owner here! Just purchased an '05 with 3600 mi. Saw it on FB mkt.place and decided why not! Nice condition but has a cracked RH fairing and looked to be missing a sprocket bolt. Got it home and found four of the six bolts were damaged/broken, it seems the PO had the wheels and sprocket/rotors off to paint and must not have torqued them properly on re-assembly. Thankfully heat and careful drilling got the broken pieces out without damage to the sprocket carrier threads. Came with TouraTech soft panniers and tankbag and other than the cracked fairing the bodywork is in perfect shape. Have yet to ride it more than a few hundred yards but I think I'll like it. It joins my wife's Skorpion trackday bike and the MZ Moskito scooter a friend gave me a few years ago.
Retired1

Re: MZ 1000s

Postby Retired1 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:34 pm

Well, I went about 2mi. yesterday and it died about a mile from home! Damn things are heavy to push! [1/4 mi. uphill] Luckily my wife realized I hadn't returned and came looking. I was told the fuel pump had been replaced because it sat for about 7 yrs. and stopped working. After thinking the worst, ECU/harness etc. I decided to check what had been done as it acted like it ran out of fuel in spite of the pump priming with the key on. After making a huge mess draining the tank and yanking the pump assembly, I found the fuel filter had come adrift from the feed pipe due to a hard deteriorated hose. Found out that my regular old OBD tester can read the codes and I used BMW as the mfgr. on the tester but I doubt it will give me any info other than the universal P code descriptions. While it ran it felt pretty good, very tractable and torquey. Steers ok but the bars need to be higher for my 70 yr. old back!
Retired1

Postby dickl » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:57 am

I was looking at the advert this bike, and (semi seriously) thinking of buying it until I was reminded that three bikes is (more than) enough! I hope you get it sorted and enjoy it.
dickl

Postby Retired1 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:32 am

I think I'm on the way now. Having only 3600 mi. on it I figured it was a safe bet! The reality of it is, that what was wrong was caused by sitting and incomplete repair work, no fault of the bike itself. I'm looking forward to riding it before the weather turns too cold.
Retired1

Postby Retired1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:43 am

An update if anyone cares! Approx. 500 mi. of riding reveals a pleasantly long-legged, comfortable, and stable handling matching once I got rid of the oddly angled clip-ons. The drop angle [around 14 deg.] was just plain weird! Overall it feels like a giant EX500. Gets plenty of What's That? questions from other riders and it shows 110+ mph rather quickly in spite of being pretty heavy.
Retired1

Postby Joe Cool » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:29 am

Glad your enjoying your MZ. What did you replace the clip-ons with ?
Joe Cool

Postby Retired1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:21 pm

I had a pair of 50mm clip-on I took off of my son in laws 99 Monster. I clamped them on above the top triple and the rise is about 3/4" taller than the stock ones but the angle is much less, around 4 deg. by eyeball. I don't know the mfgr. but it looks like the Woodcraft and Vortex bars would work too. The Woodcrafts have different riser options which I might go for because another 1" in height would make it perfect!
Retired1

Postby petroben » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:33 am

Hello,

Congratulations on your new '05! It's great that you were able to address the issues with the sprocket bolts, and it sounds like you got a good deal with the TouraTech accessories. Despite the initial hiccups, it seems like you've got a nice collection of bikes. Wishing you many enjoyable rides with your new addition!

Best,
[petrroben]
petroben

Postby sushi67 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:17 am

Glad to read it, and yes repaired that crack with plastic welding, epoxy bonding, or fiberglass repair.
sushi67

Return to 1000S