1000S oil filters

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

1000S oil filters

Postby bimotabob » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:23 pm

Has anyone located a source for oil filters for the 1000S? The local dealer does not have a part number. Thanks
2005 MZ 1000S (Silver)
bimotabob

Postby LWS66 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 pm

There are ones that will fit. The MZ filter has a mechanical anti-drainback valve. I've seen BMW filters for R1200GS etc that will fit and look the same(made by the same vendor?) but they don't have the anti-drainback valve. Then there are the automotive filters that will fit that have the correct bypass psi and the anti-drainback valve. Much info out there contending an auto filter is no different than an MC filter. Just all depends on your warranty(what warranty!) concerns. Also, Scotts Performance has the billet filters for the BMW's that will fit (none of their billet filters have the anti-drainback valve, they say that due to the increased flow capability they are not required) I have one of these on my Laverda, excellent quality. The yahoo MZ1000 group has all the filters listed that will work. I've done a little research on the web, and cut a few open myself. Purolater Pure One's have the best filtering media from what I've read. Again, not sure if warranty issues mean anything.... :?
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MZ1000/
LWS66

Postby DarthRider » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:25 pm

I order all my stuff from England now but before that i got a few from this place in Texas called Perry's / BMW of Fort Worth. They were like $20 each. Phone 817-429-9922. They stock common wear parts for MZ1000S there but the prices are higher than in England even with the shipping. I got an air filter from there too. :D
DarthRider

Postby LWS66 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:09 pm

How many days did it take, from placing your order, to get your parts?
LWS66

parts from ENGLAND

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:31 pm

the parts guy in england
http://www.bsa-regal.co.uk
phil@bsa-regal.co.uk

THIS IS THE LOW HASSEL PARTS SUPPLYER MOST EVERY ONE ELSE STINKS
phil had parts in my hand in 5 days from order ...via gb post and usa mail
IN APRIL OF 2005 .....the parts were for a 2002 rt125.....

PRINT THIS SO YOU DON'T LOOSE IT IN YOUR COMPUTER
STAPLE IT IN YOU OWNERS MANUAL OR SHOP MANUAL
from wd8cyv@yahoo.com dec 10,2005

i have parts books for the 125cc models and for the rotax powered
bikes made in the mid 90's email me if you need part numbers help
ar dave
this is a open post for all users of site... 1000s owners may find he can help also if you are a 1000s owner and dont have a parts book order one
soon and also look at old part a lot of the parts have the mz number or the oem number on them on the mz bikes i have worked on
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby DarthRider » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:01 pm

LWS66 wrote:How many days did it take, from placing your order, to get your parts?

Less than 5 business days. It is definitely "low hassle!" This place slams the dealers I have dealt with in the States to peices. Your parts problems are pretty much solved and your worries are no more! 95 percent of the dealers I called in the States didn't even know what a 1000S was!?! I wouldn't think that was strange except for the fact that they were listed as MZ dealers! There were only two or three dealers out of dozens that were willing to even return my phone calls or e-mails on the subject. Two places in Texas and one on California. The other 15 or so I tried to contact were a joke. The British BSA/MZ parts supplier is pure joy to deal with and their prices are right on the money - they don't try to scam you like dealers in the States.
DarthRider

Postby LWS66 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:47 am

That is great news!
Last edited by LWS66 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWS66

Postby DarthRider » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 pm

It only cost me $14 shipping on a coil and you'd prolly pay more ordering from California. He got me back on two wheels in less than a week. With service like that I would order stuff from him even if it was more expensive. I'd rather give my money to people with a passion and knowledge in their business and not arrogant snobs with their heads up their ass. Not only did the majority of dealers down here not know shit about MZ but they were rude. I have worked for a few dealers down here in South Florida and I can tell you assuredly a lot of the dealers down here think that their shit don't stink and it's a shame because that's why they don't last. This is why Powersports and all those large corporate monopolies are leaching the market. Over - inflated prices, arrogance, and bad attitude is most of what you find down here. Buy a bike please and don't come back except to pay the bill - that's the prevelant philosophy around here. I had a bunch of CR dirt bikes growing up and it didn't take me long to figure out that mail order was the way to go for parts. I whinced when I was forced to buy pre-mix from the dealers down here or chain lube. Dropping a bike off for any kind of work to a bunch of thieves and hoodlums is unfathomable for me. The mast dirt bike I bought was a CRF450 in 2002 and when the guy that prepped it for me went to bring my brand new bike around to my truck he pulled a wheelie on it down the street!?! ON MY BIKE!!! WTF is that? Can you imagine the nerve and blatent disregard and unprofessionalism? If I wasn't in such a good mood I think I may have caused a disturbance.
DarthRider

new

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:01 pm

when i buy a new bike i give the dealer a list of rules

1 no one but me rides bike that includes first test ride
2 i inspect bike before test ride
3 i do test ride
4 The sale includes shop manual and parts book , cd or micro fich
5 axcess to any magic electric plugs if i can't look at it with my laptop
or aftermarket code reader no sale
6 if he cant deal with above no sale

:-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby LWS66 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Good rules 8)
Last edited by LWS66 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LWS66

Postby DarthRider » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:53 pm

I agree with what you are saying there. Actually I got some good news for a change. The engine check light went off by itself after a few short rides. I think it can automatically tell when the problem is fixed because I just turned on the bike and the check engine light was gone. Whew. I didn't want to have to ride around like that. It's a real relief. I'll tell you one thing about the MZ1000S - I really do love my bike. Yeah CBR1000RR and GSXR have faster top speeds but I honestly think this bike with equally skilled riders would carve through the corners and charge through the pack and with the exceptional handling can make up the time lost in the straights. And for street riding I just feel like I can use the power more than other people on the road I see out there on faster Japanese bikes. This is the first road bike I ever owned (I had four MX bikes before this) and I cannot begin to tell you how confident I feel on it. It literally feels like it is on rails. It feels glued to the road and ultra stable. I am pretty broke at the moment but when I get some extra cash I really do want to invest in a set of lighter cans. Mostly because I have a couple of scratches on mine and they are heavy. I like the sound of the stock pipes (even though I'm sure that with new slip-ons it could be more awesome). In third gear at low rpm it's got this totally kick ass rumble going down the road and people are like..."what in the Hell?" It's a great sound and really unique.
DarthRider

Postby DarthRider » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:54 pm

I agree with what you are saying there. Actually I got some good news for a change. The engine check light went off by itself after a few short rides. I think it can automatically tell when the problem is fixed because I just turned on the bike and the check engine light was gone. Whew. I didn't want to have to ride around like that. It's a real relief. I'll tell you one thing about the MZ1000S - I really do love my bike. Yeah CBR1000RR and GSXR have faster top speeds but I honestly think this bike with equally skilled riders would carve through the corners and charge through the pack and with the exceptional handling can make up the time lost in the straights. And for street riding I just feel like I can use the power more than other people on the road I see out there on faster Japanese bikes. This is the first road bike I ever owned (I had four MX bikes before this) and I cannot begin to tell you how confident I feel on it. It literally feels like it is on rails. It feels glued to the road and ultra stable. I am pretty broke at the moment but when I get some extra cash I really do want to invest in a set of lighter cans. Mostly because I have a couple of scratches on mine and they are heavy. I like the sound of the stock pipes (even though I'm sure that with new slip-ons it could be more awesome). In third gear at low rpm it's got this totally kick ass rumble going down the road and people are like..."what in the Hell?" It's a great sound and really unique. Can someone tell me how to post a pic on this site? I can't do it on here for some reason like I do it on other web boards.
DarthRider

Postby LWS66 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:10 pm

The stock cans are very heavy compared to the Sebrings I put on. I should weight them and see what they actually are. I've got the boxes from the Sebrings with the weight on there...I need to dig them out and compare. A good bit less I'm sure.
I would'nt give up anything to some of the other supposed fast japanese bikes... as to having an advantage on the street vs. the MZ. On the track, yes. But too many variables on the street with rider skills obviously being the biggest factor. The way you ride this bike on twisty and technical roads
with the engine braking that it has and being able to power out of every turn incredibly hard gets to be addictive, and an asset that some of these other bikes don't have....( probably due to fear of losing the rearend.) Being able to use what the MZ has to offer more so than some of the others would be a safe assumption. And that is an advantage!
I recently did a fast paced ride with a couple of guys on an R1(does a lot of racing/track days) and an FZ1(track days) Both have better street/track form than I do, as I have more of a dirtbike approach. But while we were running at a consistant fast pace, I would pull away so much in corners (when I was firing on all "two cylinders"!!!) that the guy on the R1 commented that I was scaring him. He was "slightly impressed", now if I only could get into the corners faster! An easy bike to let it all hang out.......Hello track days!!! :-D
LWS66

Postby DarthRider » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:32 am

I agree about the let it all hang loose part and it being addictive to charge through the corners and see how far you can push it. I was wondering about those Sebring pipes. Do you know where they are made ? Those are the only after market pipes I knew were available for the 1000S. Are they awesome?
DarthRider

Postby LWS66 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 pm

They are made in Austria. Stainless pipes and internals, polished aluminum cans. (You can also get Titanium cans for more $$$.) Straight thru core with a removable baffle. They sound great to me, and like I said before, the bike really "Howls" when up in the upper rpms (think NHRA pro stock car when it's up in the revs, it's a similar distinctive sound)........I could listen to the sound all day. No earplugs for me when I ride......too good to block out! :smt020
LWS66

Next

Return to 1000S