blown a hole in exhaust system.

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

blown a hole in exhaust system.

Postby perryboy23 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:54 am

Bit of advice needed...i have the mz 1000sf and my Mz dealer is closed for two weeks i have a massive hole on the inside of my exhaust. i have removed the silencer (all flakey bits fall out the end and i have noticed that when you look down the remaining part of the exhaust system on the bike that there seems to have been some damage to that as well. no exterior damage. doyou think i could damage the bike if i rode it for two weeks in this state?
perryboy23

pipes

Postby Nobog » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:01 am

I think you are OK to ride. Harley guys take brand new bikes and put straight thru pipes on and seem to be OK. I would like to think the MZ motor is at least as good as those! JK
Nobog

pipe

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:09 am

may have been some thing they coated the inside of the pipe
with to keep outside from turning blue and it is not liking the heat
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby perryboy23 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:21 pm

Its getting worryingly hot!!!
do you think this would be covered under the warranty? its only done 3500 miles. The whole exhaust system under neath the body of the bike has changed colour and its not anything ive done so it had better be!
perryboy23

Postby perryboy23 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:12 am

The exhaust got so hot it glowed red on the inside so cant be ridden now until its fixed....problem is....no where to get it fixed???????????
nearest place is a good 100 miles but i guess thats the only option.
perryboy23

smile

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:52 am

where i live its a 700 mile round trip to the dealer where i bought
the bike
and guy's email me from a town 20 miles from him on how to fix bike
because he only sold 4 of them and i know how to fix it a
rt125

:smt040

ps sounds like your black box is fowled up

running way toooo lean and spark advance is off

the link below will get it under control if they still make it
http://www.powercommander.com/721-411.shtml
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby LWS66 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:15 am

Where exactly are the pipes glowing? How has it been running? Sounds like the catalysts are damaged/breaking down/plugged up. That would absolutely cause things to get that hot. These are the small bulges on each mid pipe (rightside has a chrome heat shield mounted to it) I think a complete exhaust system inspection is in order....and a definate warranty issue. I'd take a break from riding it and wait for the dealer to return and take it in..... ;-)

[quote="perryboy23"]The exhaust got so hot it glowed red on the inside so cant be ridden now until its fixed....problem is....no where to get it fixed???????????
nearest place is a good 100 miles but i guess thats the only option.[/quote]
LWS66

Postby perryboy23 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:32 am

Because my dealers has moved I have had to pay £100 to get the bike taken to another garage...MZ will only cover half this price!! not happy at all. It costs me £20 to get to and from work in a taxi everday MZ wont cover this. But all the parts will be under warranty I just hope the parts i need turn up quick. All in all apart from being out of pocket through the travel expenses, Mandy at MZ in Germany has been great its hard to get hold of her but when you do she does get things moving.
perryboy23

reason

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:27 am

now you see why i always own 2 bikes even if one is a moped :D
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby perryboy23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:03 am

Good old MZ...All the parts are on the way as we speak!!! (took a while though as the guy in u.k didnt know how to use the diagnostics machine, MZ talked him through it over the phone step by step))all they wanted was chassi number and reg, ...............brand new exhausts!!! cant wait its only cost me £380!!!!!! in travelling and having the bike picked up. It will be worth the wait. I was close to swapping it for a CBR900 in its current condition, glad i didnt.
lets hope it didnt bugger the engine up to much...ill soon find out. If it has it will...have to be, refund time. Cant afford to lug the bike across england everytime somthing goes wrong with it.
perryboy23

Postby cat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 pm

But what went wrong? It could happen again with new ones, unless they've changed them, fixed the problem. It sounds dire.
But MZ sound really good, the way you'd expect - or want - a small factory to be.
cat

Postby perryboy23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:25 am

Pick my bike up on saturday. Apparently water had got into the engine coils and rusted them up. I was asked if i ever used a pressure washer to clean it and I dont. But surely going at 120mph downthe motorway in the rain has the same effect as a pressure washer!!
But the guy thats fixing it has a compund to seal it all up so it wont happen again.
MZ never got back to me about compensating me!! i phone everyday and they arnt even answering the phone anymore (not the number I have anyway/mandys number)
but the guy in the garage has said he is just going to sort me out with a set of tyres and my 4000 mile service all totally free! this guy is a star and is going to go in on easter saturday just to get it finished.
lets just hope that the diagnostics machine gives it the all clear.

Thanks to Paul at Gardner and White in Milton Keynes
:D
perryboy23

Postby LWS66 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:50 am

Jon, that's good news that the problem has been identified, and that you'll be on the road again. I looked in my warranty booklet and did notice that it states that any costs incurred while the bike is down are not covered....I know that sucks, and it would be nice if it were... you have incurred much cost......but I believe that is a universal deal with all manufacturers. I guess the biggest difference is that your bike is your main (only source) of transportation? On the bright side, you have an excellent "goes above and beyond" dealer there!! He's a keeper!!! :-D
LWS66

Postby perryboy23 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:34 am

Sorted, Bike is back, not going to sell it, realised how much i loved it!
runs like new, im sure its louder now as well. The guy showed me the state of the engine coils (coated in rust) the bike looks brand new the whole exhaust system is nice and shiny.
The harshest thing is though is that the guy who spent the last three weeks sorting it all out recieved a cheque from MZ for all his labour totalling.............£42 unbeliveable, apparently that is the standard price that they would have charged if it was fixed in germany.

My advice to anyone with the 1000s or the 1000sf is dont get bloody water around the section where your engine coils are, get them sealed.
But saying that, if you did, you could end up with a shiny new exhaust system!!
MZ never got back to the garage about chucking in a free service and rear tyre, so the guy the runs the garage just did it anyway all free of charge!

THE BEAST IS BACK!
perryboy23

Postby DarthRider » Wed May 17, 2006 8:22 pm

I did the same to mine over Thanksgiving last year. I was running on one cylinder and my pipes near the header turned bluish. It was fine once I ordered the coil and my friend installed it. He knew the problem right away. Mine was corroded. I didn't get no warranty or new pipes. You think I could get some new pipes? Mine is an '05 should still be under warranty. I got no MZ dealers around my parts. How could I possibly file a claim? I think my pipes should be swapped but seems a lot of red tape to make that happen. I still have the old coil and could document the color change to my pipes over the coil failure. You think that's possible? Do you know of any dealers that would help me?
DarthRider

Next

Return to 1000S