intermittent electrical fault

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: intermittent electrical fault

Postby stinkfeet2000 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 pm

I had this problem on my 1000S. Bike was at the shop(it's under warranty right? WRONG-exit MZ U.S.A.)for six weeks. Finally they robbed the kick stanad cut out relay from an unsold 100S in show room. But I don't believe them. My bike does weird things.
stinkfeet2000

Low beam won't work

Postby stinkfeet2000 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:10 pm

High beam is fine. Checked bulb with an olhm meter. Is OK. Fuse for lights is OK, but it would be if hi beam works right? Looked at connections in nose of fairing -- everything tight and dry. Think it's the switch?
stinkfeet2000

Postby LWS66 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Did you check for voltage at the headlight plug/harness? Pulled the fuse and checked for voltage at that socket? Pulled apart the switch housing and checked for voltage at the switch terminals there? Could be a bad solder joint or a broken wire near the terminal end of the switch. I've had both issues with my horn going out, had to resolder the wire at the switch twice....then the third time I added wire and resoldered as the wire broke at the end near the terminal. The wire was too short to begin with and was under pressure so that's why the joint/wire failed. Also, recently my high beam failed. Turns out the wire pulled out from the terminal that plugs into the bulb...that was a fun repair, but I got it fixed. You could even have a bad relay. Check for voltage first, but most times I would suspect failed solder joints/broken or pulled wires Thats all I've experienced with mine:-D
LWS66

Postby boilermaker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:25 am

well the electrical gremlins struck again this morning. I put the car in for service this morning and intended to take the bike to work (35miles) The bike knowing that it was now the only form of transport refused to start. Same old symptoms, all the lights up fuel pump primed and not even a click when depressing the starter switch. Now which safety interlock is it this time? Went through all the motions of checking relays,fuses,switches etc etc then retired to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Whilst drinking coffee I hear engine start up and walk outside to find engine running. Spookey eh! Well I am convinced now more than ever that electronics have no place on a motorcycle. Another type of vehicle now suffering from the attentions of the gimmick freaks is the jeep or any so-called serious off-road vehicle. About 20 or so years ago I was temporarily employed by the UN in sunny Yemen. The vehicle we were using for surveys was a brand new japanese off-roader with electric everything. About 2 hours in to the working day we ended up upside down at the bottom of a wadi in a vehicle that had lost its battery, hence its electric door/window locks and an engine on fire. Were it not for a quick thinking Russian soldier and his AK 74 blowing out the rear window I would not be writing this missive. i AM THINKING THAT A SUB-LOOM CONTAINING ONLY WIRING FROM BATTERY TO SOLENOID TO SWITCH TO SOLENOID TO STARTER IS REQUIRED ON THIS MACHINE. ELECTRONICS ARE NOT REQUIRED.
boilermaker

Postby m4panther » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 am

I'm tellin you these bikes have an attitude... next time completly disconnect the battery for a few minutes and let me know how that works out for you. Was that AK fired from inside the vehicle?
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby boilermaker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 pm

m4
Will do.
Yes it was fired from inside, at the time I was only too glad that it was, but I did have time to cover my ears as I already have tinnitus from my former occupation!
boilermaker

Previous

Return to 1000S