Another starting problem

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Another starting problem

Postby patkin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:23 pm

1000SF

Rode bike to NEC end November ran beautifully
Washed bike 2 weeks later but did not attempt to start
Last weekend tried to start bike and machine cranks over fine but doesnt catch
Found that Fuel pump not running
Checked all wiring for loose connections, fuel pump solenoid fine, checked fuel pump looks like new but no power.
Ive checked power is on supply side but it appears as if there may be an ECU issue since the negative side of fuel pump seems to go back to ECU.
I reckon I could get the pump to run if I take a feed direct to earth from the neg side of fuel pump, do you think I should try this?

pleased for any assistance, inluding anyone who can let me have the service book on PDF
patkin

Re: Another starting problem

Postby LWS66 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 pm

There's a few things I'd check before resorting to messing with jumper wires.....that always seems like playing fire to me! IMO, I doubt your fuel pump is bad, more likely you've got a short or corrosion somewhere up near the handlebar switches, perhaps a blown fuse. I'd pull apart the right side handlebar switch housing and check for any corrosion, or crud, water, broken wires. While apart, cover all connections and contacts with some dielectric grease or vaseline. There's been too many posts here and on the German MZ1000 site about cranking/starting issues that were traced back to the switches on the handlebar. Also, there is a fuse for the fuel pump in the fuse/relay box under the seat. Might want to check them if you have'nt already. Also, a gentle tap on the relays as well as swapping them amongst themselves won't hurt, they are all the same. That it was running fine, then you washed it and now it won't start pretty much, at least to me, points to a bad switch/contact item, or a fuse....seems the most logical anyways. I have'nt had any problems electrical wise, other than the one and only time I had a cranking issue, due to careless washing and water getting in the housing and shorting out the starter button, which caused the starter to continue cranking after running. After using the diectric grease on the contacts I've never had a problem even after riding in rain, which in 25000 miles has only been 2-3 times. I'd poke around some more. :D

Good Luck
LWS66

Postby LWS66 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:28 pm

How about some follow-up? Have you sorted things out yet? Would be nice to know if it's something fellow 1000 owners might want to keep an eye out for, any insight helps........ :?
LWS66

Postby patkin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 am

LWS66 wrote:How about some follow-up? Have you sorted things out yet? Would be nice to know if it's something fellow 1000 owners might want to keep an eye out for, any insight helps........ :?

I checked everything before having to call in the experts to look at the ECU. Worst fears confirmed, some internal voltage error, ECU on its way back to the factory for checking/replacement
patkin

Postby patkin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:00 am

OK an update: -

My bike is now running again, thanks to Grahams Motorcycles of Taunton.

Grahams is not my nearest dealer which is Bob Wildings of Merthyr Tydfil but were the only dealer interested in actually picking the bike up and transporting it to their workshops and doing the repair. Bob Wildings as I previously discovered were full of service work on Quads to service the local farming community. Grahams quickly determined that my bike suffered from a voltage fault in the ECU, potentially costly.

Furthermore, Grahams put forward a fantastic supporting argument to MZ that despite the bike being some months out of Warranty, it's low mileage and condition justified a goodwill repair to the faulty ECU. So well done to MZ for making this gesture and in recognition that this was an unusual event.

May I through this forum commend both MZ as a company and Grahams as 'the' dealer to contact when service work or spares are required. I am very much appreciative of all these fine companies have done to assist. Anybody siting on the fence and considering an MZ, do not hesitate to buy into the mark.
Last edited by patkin on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
patkin

Postby LWS66 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Well that is great news! There's always "the right thing to do" approach, and these day's it seems many companies do nothing but find ways to avoid situations like this.....Results like this usually pays dividends down the road.
Kudos to MZ!! :smt038
LWS66

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:32 am

....dave climbs up on his soap box.....
the bike makers need to learn that keeping the black box (ECU) a big mystery
is not to there best interest

with limited dealer networks in some country's
the bikes should be designed so a computer can be plugged in
and i mean a laptop or regular computer not something speical
its a 650 mile round trip to the fellow i bought the mz from and
100 plus to a bmw dealer
moto guzzi is 250 miles round trip to speakers in stubenville oh
so i need to look at the fault codes and see if i can fix it local
i have my own truck but 250 miles to take a breva 750 back to speakers and 250
to go get it is 500 divided by 17mpg x 3.30 = 95.70
just to haul it in and back
so i will be buying bikes i can work on my self :smt006
ar dave
soap box is up for use by some one else
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 1000S