Riding impressions of the 1000S?

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Riding impressions of the 1000S?

Postby zedhead » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:13 am

Hi again, I was just wondering what 1000S owners think of their bikes..........I think mine is deeply wonderful in that it is quite quick, handles beautifully, is very well made, and looks quite nice too. However, I read a review of one by a prospective purchaser in the MZ Riders Club magazine (issue 171) which was quite negative, like "I anticipated some vibration and low speed snatch, the reviews said that much but I didn't realise that vibration and snatch were understatements like an estate agent saying "in need of modernisation" A trip on clear road showed its possibilities, but then in traffic it showed its problems and its height became an immediate problem to me"

I agree that the bike is taller than most, but find that helps the handling greatly and also, paradoxically, improves low-speed handling. The reviewer criticises the bike's seat height but also states that he's 5'8" tall with a 29" inside leg. I don't agree with the vibration and snatch comments at all, but then I've been riding a Skorpion for quite some years and have learnt to use the twisty thing on the right handlebar so that the motor is turning at an appropriate speed. The short-stroke 1000S needs revs to keep it happy, I think, it's not at all like the 1981 BMW R100RS that I once had!

One other thing I'd like to discover is, do the other 1000S bikes make a fair amount of mechanical noise when very warm? I don't remember from my trip to the Emmenrausch last year what they sounded like, and I've never seen another 1000S in the UK......yet......

Finally, as it's a glorious day in sunny Sutton Coldfield, I've been wondering about maybe having a UK 1000S meeting somewhere, later in the year?

All the best
zedhead

Re: Riding impressions of the 1000S?

Postby FUTURE » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm

My Motorcycle Blog!... http://rossmz.blogspot.com
FUTURE

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 am

Hi zedhead,

I wrote something on this forum a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2226&p=12857#p12857

Regarding the review you mention, I think those about vibrations and snatching are fair comments. The engine needs revving, and I find the bike a real pain in town. It's hard sometimes to even keep second gear in traffic, unless I slip the clutch a lot, which I don't like to do. That, and the amount of heat generated by the engine make for a really bad experience.
Although I've got 17/45 sprockets, the gearing is still too long, to the point that I don't put sixth even on the motorway, unless I'm doing at least 90 mph (about 5500 rpm). In short, if you try to ride the 1000S like a BMW boxer, or worse like a Japanese four, you will hate it.
Vibrations are also an issue, my mirrors are almost inusable at motorway speeds, even after fitting an extra rubber bush on the spherical mount (maybe I should put a gel one). IOn the other hand, I don't mind the vibrations at the handlebars and footpegs, I think they ar there but I've dialled them out.
I am 6ft and dont' have a problem with the height, I actually think the saddle coudl be even higher so that my legs wont' get as cramped. And the wind protection is first class, even on the standard screen.

As for the things I like, you said it for me: the handling is very rewarding, the bike so accurate and precise. I just love the way it executes faithfully my commands, the way it picks exactly the line you ask for and the way it translates your inputs into actions, without delay or filters of any kind. The bike likes running, flowing from one bend to another. Give it a bit of space (tight hairpins are cumbersome) and it will really make you smile, or at least it does for me, and I am ready to forgive her the obvious defects, because she gives me a lot of joy.
I'll stop here before I ge too lyrical.

Ride Safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby m4panther » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I also have the 17/45 combo, which eliminated the chain backlash at low speeds; I have a Sebring exhaust with removed baffle. I love the bike! I raced a hyabusa on a twisty highway and blew him away.
I rear ended this idiot that made a right turn from the middle lane and I happened to be in the right lane, swerved hard left and took out his tail light and dented his corner panel with my handle bars, but didn't fall. The bike has amazing balance!
I Drove through a car wash run-off and when the light turned green I accelerated pretty fast. The rear suddenly and extremely sways ( thought I was dead) from side to side and I still didn't crash! superb bike or just lucky?
Very comfortable for me I'm just over 6ft. It does 140mph with a quick twist comfortably.
The heat can be annoying in traffic and wish I could figure a way to turn the fans on sooner at a lower temperature.
The mirrors do suck on the highway, but if you're going faster than anything else on the road, who needs them. They’ll reflect the pretty red and blue lights just fine when the man comes to hammer you. :evil:
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:25 am

mz 1000sf
Finally got a chance to get out on the bike after taking delivery in late january. Lovely bike but the top three gears are useles in town due to snatch at the transmission and chain. I think it will take a while to get used to, as compared with a ducati that you can open up at really low revs I find you need at least 3 thou on the rev to pull at all, and only if your in the right gear.
Does changing the gearbox sprocket size make a difference?
On the open road what a bike. Neutral handling , its like puting on an old pair of gloves everything just falls into place. Forget about the brakes as you hardly need them and when you do they are brilliant.
I had quite roads, snow on the hills,rain and sunshine and the biggest grin when i opened her up.
My back tyre (metzeler m1) is just about shot. Any recommendations for replacement or is the stock item the best.
tomtom

Postby LWS66 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 am

Changing the gearing (countershaft and rear sprocket) to something like 17/45 makes a big improvement, and you can use the original chain if it's not shagged. Very convenient and it works. Other combos I'm sure will also improve things.
Tire wise I've used:

Metzeler M1's: Front-5600 miles (some life left)
Rear-2800 miles (two rears to one front)

Continetal Road Attack: Front-6500 miles (severe uneven wear early/wobble at handlebars with hands off, I believe the
current fronts don't do this)
Rear- 4400 miles, 2100 miles(nail) and 4600 miles

Continental Sport Attack: Front-7600 miles (excellent wear and grip)
Rear-2900 miles (excellent grip)

Metzler M3's: Front- 3500 miles to date, excellent wear, grip, etc. Excellent tires for twisties action
Rear- 3200 miles and toast, now on second. Excellent tires for twisties action

I may try Bridgestone 014's as they wear and handle good. I would go back to the Continentals for the mileage and they handle good also.
LWS66

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:47 am

>> My back tyre (metzeler m1) is just about shot. Any recommendations for replacement or is the stock item the best.

I've used Continental Sport Attack after the Metz and I am happy with them, so much so that I'm putting on the second pair. I've done about 6000 miles on them and I've replaced them at the same time, I don't like to ride with tyres of different age/usage.
The Sportec M1 have now been replaced by the M3, of which I've heard wonderful things. I think either those or the Sport Attacks will be very good for the bike.

Regarding snatch, I would concur with your impressions, there really is no point using more than third in town. Actually, I also think it's better to use 6th only over 85/90 mph (just about right to cruise on French motorways without being pulled over by the Gendarmerie), below this threshold the bike is more responsive and smoother with 5th.

Ride Safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby tomtom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Appreciate the replies. I think i'll go with the different gearbox sprocket and the comments on the different tyre wear are a great help.

cheers
tomtom

Return to 1000S