Newbie - just got a 1000SF

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Newbie - just got a 1000SF

Postby LWS66 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:19 pm

I've yet to have a problem with mine, and have no idea where it's at or what's intailed in bypassing it. Guess I'll just have to wait for it to give me trouble! :shock:

Lorin
LWS66

Postby tuxracer » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:36 am

Boilermaker,

Thanks for the info its always usefull to have the benefit of others hard won experience. I usually give bikes a good check over after buying them and after running the torque wrench over this one the only things that were slightly loose were the handlebar clamps, just as well I checked!

I intend to change the fasteners to stainless as soon as I have time but wondered if there was a list of the sizes required, as it would save me time checking them all.

A spare stick coil sounds like a good idea as these seem to give problems on bikes in general.....not just MZ's. Is there a better quality alternative to the originals available? Just wondered as I know that Peugot ones fit the Benelli TNT and were better than the originals.

I noticed that the rear hugger is very close to the back tyre on my machine and the tyre is well worn and due for replacement. I think a new tyre is going to come into contact with the hugger, so how did you modify yours to improve clearance? While we are on the subject of tyres are you guys all still using Metzelers or are there any others that work well on this bike?

One last question for now regarding suspension settings. I weigh about 14st in my riding gear and although the standard settings in the handbook are ok for general road riding, I like to play on the smaller bumpy back roads around our way and find the standard settings to hard. I have had a quick play with the adjusters but cant say I felt a big lot of difference. Have any of you guys got a good setup that you find comfortable?

Thanks again

Ian
tuxracer

Postby LWS66 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 am

Ian,

When you change tires you can use a heat gun (I found one for $10 at a tool supply store) to "carefully" (use low heat setting) apply heat to the hugger near where it bolts to the swingarm and raise it up some. Just measure from the end of the hugger up to a point on the tailsection before heating, then heat and raise it the amount you want. I tryed shimming it first but it was still too close. The curvature of the hugger is wrong.

For tires I've used Metzeler M1's, M3's(best mileage of the two, 3200 miles on the rear I believe) Continental Road and Sport Attacks. The Road Attacks gave the best mileage of all (4600 miles on the rear) the Sport rear only lasted 2800 miles or so.
IMO, of the tires I've used on it so far I like the Metzeler M3's, but may try Bridgestone 014's.....I've got good mileage from them on my previous Laverda Strike, and they are a great track day tire too.

Have you set the suspension sag (with you on the bike) yet? You need to adjust the front and rear preload(sag) first, than you can work on the compression and rebound settings.

Here's a great suspension setup guide:

[url]www.sasbk.co.za/suspension_setup_guidelines.htm[/url]

Lorin
LWS66

Postby boilermaker » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Ian
Lorins advice re hugger is a good solution to a design fault, his recommendations re tyres/tires also good. The problem with using a different pencil coil would be one of matching the coil to the parameters in the management system. If you can find a superior quality coil with matching parameters good luck to you. As I told you the O/E coils are Sagems, as you probably know superior items are made by Bosch and Beru to name but two alternatives.
boilermaker

Postby boilermaker » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:35 pm

M4 panther
On the subject of the "start repeating lock" and how to disable it. If you go to page 164 of the MZ rpair manual you will find the appropriate wiring diagram. The troublesome item is listed as item 9 on the sketch, you should be able to work from there. If in doubt take it and the bike to your friendly neighbourhood auto electrician, he will find it an easy (and cheap) job. When I work out how to reduce my photo sizes I will send photo of new starter switch type/location and also mod to rear set opening latch, (the original key type freezes up and then breaks).
Good luck
George
boilermaker

Postby m4panther » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

George,

Thank you...UMMMM yeah I will need an electrician to figure out page 164.

Lube the cable!!! Mine stuck also...I put graphite on it....

Just got home from a long weekend of riding and went to put the battery tender on....The allen bolts that fasten the gas tank bracket were missing :cry: and my side casing needed to be tightened :evil: .. I really do love this bike :mrgreen: so much fun and crisp precise handling my ears have been ringing all night since I removed the baffles out of the pipes.

I put a power commander on it and I'm going to bring it to the tuning center I'll post the results in the near future
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby boilermaker » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 am

M4 panther
When I said freeze, I meant freeze (below 32Deg F) not sieze!
George
boilermaker

Postby tuxracer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:49 am

Lorin, George and everyone else, thanks for all the advice so far guys.

The hugger has now been heated and moulded to the required shape, starter switch has been stripped cleaned and packed with appropriate grease, and a spare coil is now in stock just in case. I'll also be giving it a good service over the next few days so will check and seal the coils at the same time.

Think I'll stick with Metz tyres at the moment as it seems to handle well on them.

As for the suspension, I've not had a chance to do a proper set up but will get round to it shortly. As I said its fine on reasonably smooth roads but when you hit some rough stuff it's just to hard, having said that some of the roads I ride on would be more suited to an MX bike!

Thanks again

Ian
tuxracer

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm

just wondering how r4panther got the baffles out of the original silencers?
tomtom

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Thu May 01, 2008 4:10 am

tuxracer,

>> As I said its fine on reasonably smooth roads but when you hit some rough stuff it's just to hard

I would agree with that. I rode my Yamaha Fz6 during the winter, then a couple of weeks ago I went back to the 1000S, for the first ride of the good season. What a difference, I thought I had no suspension at all ! I guess this must be because most of the development work for the bike has been done in Germany, where the road surface is of very high standard.
On the plus side, you can really see how effective the set up is: on roads where at 80mph I can see the Yamaha is trying to keep it all together, on the MZ it feels like 60mph, the bike just holding the chosen line with superb stability and no fuss.

Ride Safe.
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby m4panther » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

tomtom wrote:just wondering how r4panther got the baffles out of the original silencers?

Hey TomTom,

Sorry If I wasn't clear I have two sebring slip ons. They really woke the bike up.

There is only 1 rivet that needs to be drilled out at the exit. and the baffle comes right out I'll post a picture when I have a chance
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby johnny2tents » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Tuxracer,

Visit The Crask/Rogart etc regularly with the Guzzi club. We are planning to do the MotoMania at Grantown-on-Spey weekend Sept 6/7. I could come on the 1000S? Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby tuxracer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi J2T,

That would be great, I'm up for a run down to Granton on the SF if you fancy meeting up? Where's the rally being held in Granton?

Cheers

Tux
tuxracer

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi Tux,

It's basically a veteren/vintage type thing based in the square on Sunday. We (5 or 6) will probably camp on the Saturday night. Mail me at johnny2tents@hotmail.com There is some more info if you 'Google' Motor Mania Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Previous

Return to 1000S