1000S/ST/SF

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: 1000S/ST/SF

Postby johnny2tents » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Cam and team,

Stafford meet up on Sunday Oct 19.

The bike park is normally (last April) in the field across the road from the showground.

By the ticket booths in the same field there is a double decker bus parked which is the crash helmet/gear park.

(you now walk under the road to get to the showground/halls)

I will attempt to arrive early (9 00ish) and will park the 1000S at the end of a row of bikes directly behind and in line with the bus.

Take a side stand support or piece of wood/ply as a precaution!!!

If it's all different from planned, just have to use the mobile!

See you there

Regards J2T
johnny2tents

Postby boilermaker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm

To all
Well I/we tried to get to the factory recently but the better half's monster died on a wet and windy autobahn after a miserable 6/7 hour ride through Belgium and Holland. This put us behind schedule and took us in to the week end, when of course the factory was closed. Our return to the Ostend - Ramsgate ferry was set for the tuesday, so no time to go to Szchopau. Bloody shame! Still we spent a good week-end with old friends in nearby Wiemar where the annual onion festival was in full swing. Saw only one old MZ, and the Ducati agent near Cologne said that my 1000st was the only one that he had ever seen! Oh by the way the duke died as a result of water in the fuel and the MZ performed faultlessly in the 2000 miles of the trip, a point that the german recovery man wasted no time in pointing out.
boilermaker

Postby cam » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 am

Hi Boilermaker
shame about factory visit and breakdown - hope it didn't spoil things too much. The Staffs show was pretty good and we managed to meet up with two other 1000 owners. As shown - the biggest gathering of MZ 1000's in this country so far. 2 1000s's, 1 1000ST and one 1000 SF !!!!! The bikes generated a lot of interest from onlookers. Great to meet you guys - next time lets see if we can get a larger gathering

IMAGE_011a.jpg
IMAGE_011a.jpg (275.56 KiB) Viewed 7547 times

IMAGE_009a.jpg
IMAGE_009a.jpg (215.46 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
cam

Postby johnny2tents » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:02 am

Hi Cam,

Great to meet you chaps at Stafford. My 1000s (or was it the owner) disgraced itself by having a flat battery. (did I leave the parking light on when I locked the steering? I want to think I did!) Anyway after a couple of fruitless attempts to bump start, a kind BMW owner gave the battery a boost from his 'output plug' for 5 mins and away it went. At one stage I did see an error code, something like 03548 but I can't be sure of the last three digits or even the correct order. I also managed to get three warning lights faintly glowing when they shouldn't!
As noted elsewhere in the forum, I guess the battery has to be kept 100% fully charged to get the plot going.
Thanks to everyone that helped contribute to an otherwise uneventful ride home. And it didn't rain all day!
As you say lots of interest, and the number of riders that told me that they nearly bought one.....................well we wouldn't be facing the factory closure/change of ownership if they had!
John (orange SF) could have probably sold five bikes on the MZ stand!

Until the next time.......Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby boilermaker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 pm

johnnie
Great line up eh? My st has an output socketwhich was fitted as a factory option and I have used it a few times. Where did you see this fault code?
boilermaker

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:10 am

Hi Boilermaker,
The sequence of events went something like
Switch on ignition, does self test cycle.
Press starter, nothing, all lights go out and LCD display goes blank.
Then error code displayed in otherwise blank LCD.
Turned ignition key back to steering lock with parking light position.
Then turned key back to ignition on. Warning lights all on and system does self test again.
Press starter nothing..............
At one point I removed the ignition key from the normal 'off' position and the headliamp main beam and two adjacent bulbs glowed dimly. I could only get these to go out by re-inserting the key, turning it back to steering lock with parking light position, and turning it back to the normal 'off' position.
Must have been a partially discharged battery.
Will try and get a list of error codes, a diagnostic kit would be nice, might try and get a price!
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:03 am

Johnny,

I had a very similar experience to yours (see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2521).
I'm not sure it was the battery, when it happened to me I pushed it to a very near garage where we got no success even connecting the bike to a fully charged emergency one.
The fault cleared itself later on, much to my embarassment.
Other people on this forum have suggested to do a hard-reset (disconnect battery, connect again), which in my case was not enough.
The battery needs to be kept fully charged, that's for sure, but in my case there must have been something else, like a bad earth or some funny contact in the right-hand switch block.

For me it was an infuriating and embarassing experience, probably the only occasion when I really felt like kicking the hell out of the bike :-)

ride Safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby boilermaker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Johnny
I was not aware that the Sagem system fitted to this machine was able to transmit a fault code to the lcd display unit, very curious! If you are looking for a diagnostic unit then forget the factory one, they will not sell you one, even the makers of the unit will not sell you one. However the "Tune Boy" software and laptop/management system connector works quite well and will allow you to reset spurious fault code indications etc as well as re-programme engine parameters. A friend of mine uses one on his Triumph which uses the same system as MZ.
Now a question for anyone at the recent gathering: Where did you get your crash bungs?
boilermaker

Postby cam » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Boilermaker - crah bungs are from R&G racing -link =
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/MZ/ ... Years.aspx

They're not cheap but are well made and have a good finish :D
cam

Postby tomtom » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm

the symptoms with the lights glowing on the dash etc are almost the exact same as mine was doing when it started doing a self test without any input from me. I'd get the warning lights glowing even when the ignition was switched off and the key was out.
Mine was just a loose main connector block to the speedo head.
tomtom

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Boilermaker,

for crash bungs, consider also those from GSG mototechnik (http://www.gsg-mototechnik.de - then select MZ from the left-hand menu).

I crashed my MZ when I had the R&G, and was not totally impressed.
Their main weak point is that the brace they are mounted on has only got two anchor points, so it offers not much resistance to torsion, which is exactly the sort of stress you get when the bike is sliding towards a race track kerb :-).

The brace on the GSG is a three point job, which actualy replaces the bace that supports the engine. And the pads themselves are a bit more substantial. They also come in two measures.

Ordering is a bit more involved, as they dont' accept credit cards, but in my opinion they are worth a look.

ride safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby GED » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:49 pm

gutted i couldnt come along the only reason is ive not been able to access the forum for the last few days hence i couldnt get in touch with anyone :cry: anyhow glad u had a good time and the weather was fine get in touch next time u go on a run meet etc
GED

Postby johnny2tents » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:57 am

Boilermaker,

How have your valve clearances changed over time? I am interested as you have done a significant mileage.
Anyone else have a view?

Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby mzsrus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:59 am

DEAR GANG,

HOW MANY MILES WE ALL DONE, I ONLY DONE 4800 MILES JUST FLEW THROUGH 2ND MOT, NO PROBS,

ONLY EVER HAD ONE PROBLEM, INTERLOCK SWITCH BEHIND FAIRING STOPPED BIKE IN ITS TRACKS, THINKING OF SPRAYING 07 COLOURS AS PROB MZ MIGHT NOT BE AROUND NEXT YEAR, STILL THEY GOT 5 INTERESTED BIDDERS, BUT NO FIRM PROPOSALS ON TABLE AS OF LAST WEEK WHEN I WAS IN GERMANY,

BYE ANDY WALES

NOW 12 MZ IN MY LITTLE COLLECTION
Attachments
mz pics oct0ber 08th 001.jpg
mz pics oct0ber 08th 001.jpg (656.55 KiB) Viewed 7444 times
Owner of 10 old mz bikes from 1956 to 1976
new owner of Mz 1000s
mzsrus

Postby boilermaker » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Johnnie
Checked the valve clearences recently and found no significant wear. Mileage now stands at 25,000. I am not in favour of meddling with shims when it is not necessary, and will check again in another 10k miles. I am however very greatful to the man at the factory for leaving the original valve clearences written down for me as a datum for adjustment.
boilermaker

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S