1000S/ST/SF

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: 1000S/ST/SF

Postby boilermaker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:02 am

To all
I don't whether you remember a past post wherin I recommended checking the tension on all your engine casing screws after 8-10k miles, but I checked and replaced (with A4 stainless) almost all of mine some time ago. The only one that I did not replace was a screw behind a coolant water connector on the alternator side of the engine. Yes, you have guessed it, the paper cover gasket in this area has blown out allowing a fine oil mist to spray out at higher RPM. Well Well and there I was thinking that I only had to replace the rear sprocket this week-end.
boilermaker

Postby cam » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi guys - zedhead and myself have been trying to sort out a decent fuel map for the 1000s. I spoke with Border Bikes who as you know raced one. Theirs was tuned by a shop using a power commander 3 and a dyno. The results from what they have told me are quite astounding. We have tuneboy installed on a laptop and have been able to look at the map. To say that the 'S' is a bit lean in the lower rev range is an understatement. It seems that bike used for racing would pull cleanly from low revs - just like a jap bike. Tuneboy comes with a limited amount of maps - most of which are useless. The 'ST' and 'SF' have a different map. The 'ST' is certainly richer throughout the entire range. Can any ST owners out there let me know their thoughts on how their bikes pull? I'm about to change the S map to ST on my bike shortly but I would like as much input as possible to compare the results with. Alternatively if anyone knows where to get maps from........................ :smt026
cam

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:37 am

Hi Cam,

As I mentioned before, mine is supposed to have a ST map. Will find out who has the program.
The Border Bikes ex MGP racer is up for sale on ebay at £3K. Have spoken to Andy Minns who says it's standard apart from the Micron cans. Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby boilermaker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:52 am

cam
My ST pulls as well as I would expect for a 180 twin.
boilermaker

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Chaps,
Posts seem to have dried up, must all be hibernating? I was thinking of wheeling my bike into the lounge on Boxing Day and coating the appropriate parts with dielectric grease! Get puzzled looks when I mention the stuff! Where did you chaps actually source it? (I have seen it advertised on the web)
Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby tomtom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:04 pm

I'd love to have my bike in the lounge but the wife would kill me. My grandfather had two rooms in his house full of lathes and a milling machine along with a vincent. I've told the wife that it's no problem if she leaves as i've got the space already booked for the other love of my life, to which she replies (your just like your grandpa). Wish i had his old vincent then i could afford three wives. :smt005
tomtom

Postby mzsrus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:04 am

hiya,

my bike is in heated garage, kept with all my other mz hhehe

bye from wet and wild wales

andy
Owner of 10 old mz bikes from 1956 to 1976
new owner of Mz 1000s
mzsrus

Postby GED » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 pm

johnny2tents wrote:Hi Chaps,
Posts seem to have dried up, must all be hibernating? I was thinking of wheeling my bike into the lounge on Boxing Day and coating the appropriate parts with dielectric grease! Get puzzled looks when I mention the stuff! Where did you chaps actually source it? (I have seen it advertised on the web)
Cheers J2T
i got mine of ebay 2x 5ml tubes for less than a fiver inc p+p enough to give the coils and switchgear a good coating
GED

Postby cam » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi Guys - although MZ have not released any definitive information on closure (to my knowledge) I'm sure that next years Emmenrausch will probably go ahead regardless. Does any body fancy a bit of a road trip next year??? :mrgreen:
cam

Postby johnny2tents » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Cam,

Any dates for this trip?

Should we try and meet up at Stafford Show in April, there will be a MZ Riders club stand?

Cheers

J2T
johnny2tents

Postby zedhead » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 am

Hello again gentlemen, the date for the next Emmenrausch can be found at http://www.emmenrausch.com/

Again, it is in September which is a bit hit and miss for weather, although last year's washout summer had picked up for the Emmenrausch and a good time was had by all. The year before that, in August, it rained solidly for the Friday and Saturday and only started to dry up when people were packing up to go home.

All the best
zedhead

Postby LWS66 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="cam"]Hi guys - zedhead and myself have been trying to sort out a decent fuel map for the 1000s. I spoke with Border Bikes who as you know raced one. Theirs was tuned by a shop using a power commander 3 and a dyno. The results from what they have told me are quite astounding. We have tuneboy installed on a laptop and have been able to look at the map. To say that the 'S' is a bit lean in the lower rev range is an understatement. It seems that bike used for racing would pull cleanly from low revs - just like a jap bike. Tuneboy comes with a limited amount of maps - most of which are useless. The 'ST' and 'SF' have a different map. The 'ST' is certainly richer throughout the entire range. Can any ST owners out there let me know their thoughts on how their bikes pull? I'm about to change the S map to ST on my bike shortly but I would like as much input as possible to compare the results with. Alternatively if anyone knows where to get maps from........................ :smt026[/quote]

Hi Cam,

Have you had any mapping done yet ? What have you come up with? I finally broke down and got the Power Commander myself. Will be taking the bike in asap to a well known Ducati performance shop here in the south (states) to have it dialed in. Fingers crossed! 8)
LWS66

Postby boilermaker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:36 pm

LWS 66
The fuelling on my 06 1000ST is as good as any I have experienced, but I use it for long trips, a traffic light racer may find some holes in it!.
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:31 pm

[quote="boilermaker"]LWS 66
The fuelling on my 06 1000ST is as good as any I have experienced, but I use it for long trips, a traffic light racer may find some holes in it!.[/quote]

Hi Boiler,

I installed the PCIII yesterday and took it out for a good flogging. All I can say is: "Why did I wait so long?!!!" Even though the map installed on it is for a stock 1000S, it still made a sizable improvement even with my setup. Better response, rev's (screams) to redline quicker, and it wheelies much easier, I could shift gears and keep it lofted without even trying....I had to back off a little to keep it from going too far... Never been able to do that before. Can't wait to have the shop dial it in.:smt026
LWS66

Postby daytona992 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi LWS66,
Fitted a PC111 to my Bim sb8 with a subsequent marked improvement, however I was not aware a PC111 was available for the 1000s. Can you provide further info etc. The PC111 I used for the Bim was really for a Triumph T959 etc. Chris Gunster of Grimsby then did some dyno work to design a suitable map. Anyway, enough about Bimota I would really appreciate guidance re 1000s. Next few weeks I intend to change the sprockets: 16 front, 45 rear. (unless anyone knows better).

Regards to all, Gary.
daytona992

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S