Pencil Coi;ls

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Pencil Coi;ls

Postby LWS66 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

The manual states when using the diagnostic tool for an ignition fault that any one of the following could be a possible cause:

bad connection
defective ignition lock
cable broke
defective ECU
low battery

If everything worked prior to your service work, and now it won't run........you either have a bad re-connection somewhere, shorted something, or had something pack-up just at the exct moment you decided to perform servicing. I'm only grasping at straws here, it is baffling/puzzling! I wish you the best, and hope it is just something simple, that you may have overlooked...it is tight and lines of sight/access to some of the connections and components on these things is difficult. Good luck and keep at it in a calm logical approach. You'll get it figured out! :-D
LWS66

Postby GED » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:13 am

the only thing i can assume /and hope is its a bad connection ,that somehow amazingly surfaced when i decided to service the bike ,but because i cant source a fault code reader and tuneboy seem to have dissapeared ,if a sensor /componant has failed then im stuck and it looks like i will have to send it to grahams,
GED

Postby djsbriscoe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:44 am

Hi,
The nominal voltage of 12 Volts is the supply voltage from the battery. Nominal is a fancy word for average.
The voltage to the coils is probably 12 volts, but it says in the manual that the ECU controls the charging of the coils.
This implies that the ECU does not simply switch 12 volts on and off the same as a simple contact breaker points ignition would.
It probably ramps (gradually increases) the voltage to the coil over a small time period determined by engine conditions.
Anyway a simple go/no go test may not diagnose the problem as there is clever electronics to confuse the issue.
If it was my bike I'd ship it straight to Grahams for them to check out and fix.
It could be a simple 5 minute job for them as they have the diagnostic equipment and most importantly the knowledge.
Hope you get it sorted out.

David.
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby GED » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:00 am

yeh ur right ,i could be messing around for god knows how long,ill phone graham tomorrow,and arrange shipment with a courier,,cheers
GED

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:28 am

A long shot ?
The bike is fitted with a tilt sensor which cuts i think the ignition in the event of the bike falling over.
tomtom

Postby johnny2tents » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:30 am

Hi All,

This issue is really frustrating, especially for Ged. I see David Briscoe (thanks) mentions an Actia FR 2000 fault code reader being refered to in the workshop manual. I have been on their website and it does seem worth following up. This device is used by Triumph and Voxan (remember them? about a dozen made) and as Cam and Zedhead already have 'Tuneboy' which has a 'Triumph' compatible version of the program/code there seems to be some commonality/standardisation here.
Obviously in Ged's case the ECU program has got past all the initial checks as the starter is cranking.
It's just one of the inputs that follow in the sequence that it is not getting, via a bad earth/failed sensor/internal ECU failure or ECU connecter plug poor contact/damp connecter pins. I noted from a previous thread that Ged had moved the air sensor in his airbox and pondered on this being an issue. But I think the bike ran perfectly after that and up to the recent service.
Anyway will talk to Actia (who have an office in Wales) next week and keep you posted.
Although I am an aging juvenile, it seems I will have to learn about Airbag warning light/service light resetting tools and diagnostics too if I am to continue to work on my own vehicles!!! I think the last time I priced up a spare 1000S ECU it was circa £350 + vat.

Regards J2T
johnny2tents

Postby GED » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 am

hi johnny ,i email actia yesterday,asking how where and how much,basically if i want to keep the mz ,which i really do ,then im going to need a fault code reader/engine diagnostics tool of some sort,as you say j2t its a bad connecton or sensor failure ,the bike 4yrs old and covered 2750miles its as new ,so bad earths ,i dont believe is the cause,and bloody hell 350 quid for a ecu i hope its not that :shock: ,,,im having one last check today ,and then phone grahams and a transporter .i will keep u all posted ,
as a thought this thread was about coils sorry for the hijack ,and if the moderators feel it needs moving to its own thread ,by all means go ahead,
but as i was saying this was about finding an alternative coil ,i think my priority will be to find a diagnostics system ,tuneboy still havnt got back ,and what happends next time the mz throws a wobbly cheers all
GED

Postby GED » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 pm

MY BIKE ARRIVED AT GRAHAMS THIS MORNING 1100HRS AND THEY WERE STILL NON THE WISER BY 1630HRS THEY RAN THE DIAGNOSTICS AND IT CAME UP ZERO NO FAULTS ,THEY TRIED ON A NEW ECU STILL THE SAME ,HOPFULLY THEY WILL HAVE SOMTHING ELSE TO TRY :(
GED

Postby boilermaker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Ged
So we are back to good old substitutional diagnostics eh? I really am waiting to hear just what this one turns out to be. Mine's playing up and showing no fault codes, suspect dirty or contaminated (water) fuel.
boilermaker

Postby GED » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:35 pm

boilermaker wrote:Ged
So we are back to good old substitutional diagnostics eh? I really am waiting to hear just what this one turns out to be. Mine's playing up and showing no fault codes, suspect dirty or contaminated (water) fuel.
not much else to say .the mechanic on the phone did say that the block connector from the kill switch /starter was stuck together and that they were having trouble separating it ,it may be corrosion ,but then again it might not ,it was the last thing they were trying out ,reading between the lines and the manner of the chap i was speaking to he seemed as puzzled/stumped as i, at least its not the e.c.u thats gone :|
GED

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am

Last edited by tomtom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomtom

Postby GED » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:25 pm

the bikes fixed :-D
GED

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 pm

Ged
Well come on then dont be so bloody coy, what was wrong with it! or is it too embarassing to talk about.
boilermaker

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 pm

We all wait in anticipation. It's fixed?
tomtom

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Must be some sort of female bike problem, you know what women are like . That's why we always say "she" was running well,
tomtom

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S