Pencil Coi;ls

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Pencil Coi;ls

Postby GED » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 pm

hopefully im not speaking too soon ,but i took the coils in work today to get them tested by the electricians and there better mutimeter,well the primary coil resistance was showing 1.1 ohms on both coils a bit high but both the same ,when we tested the secondary coil res we got no reading ,i phoned grahams to try to find out if we were testing them right ,so as i was talking to the bloke on the phone who at the time was testing one of his coils from the stores and was getting a secondary reading of .88 mili ohms ,my self and 2 sparkys were getting no reading,soooo,i seems that both secondary coils [and im keepnig my fingers crossed] are both u/s ,it seems that by moving them from the bike as somhow broke them ,even though i handles them with kid gloves,anyhow ive ordered 2 for £176.00 inc p+p should b here tomorrow,so im just praying to the mz god that this time tomorrow i can report good news,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
GED

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Ged
Whatever the outcome of your new coil fitting, the advice from our two american correspondents still holds good. There are also two other forum subscribers nearer to you (geographically) with a laptop loaded with a "Tuneboy" diagnostics programme, their names escape me at the moment but a trawl through forum subjects should bring up some names.
Good Luck
boilermaker

Postby GED » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:44 pm

i was told the following by a former mz dealer/mechanic ,,,,,,,,,,the relays dont have any bearing on the coils failing to make the plugs fire ,also if the side stand or the starter button are in the non start position then it will stop the starter from cranking the engine ,,,this may be false info but i took it as true,,,

george u say tune boy ,,can u please clarify that this software will infact diagnose faults on the bike ,,,by reading the ecu ,,,ie throttle position sensor or air temperature sensor is faulty tune boy will read these faults and show on the lap top
GED

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Ged
I have never actually used this programme but a friend of mine uses it regularily on his Triumph, and I think the least it could do would be to read the fault codes recorded in the ECU. You should then be able to refer to the MZ fault code lists for clarification. As I said look back through the forum posts and identify the individual/s that last posted on this subject.
boilermaker

Postby GED » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:01 pm

boilermaker wrote:Ged
I have never actually used this programme but a friend of mine uses it regularily on his Triumph, and I think the least it could do would be to read the fault codes recorded in the ECU. You should then be able to refer to the MZ fault code lists for clarification. As I said look back through the forum posts and identify the individual/s that last posted on this subject.
i think its johnny 2 tents ,but if it reads fault codes great,and if it could of told me the coils have failed [hope they have]then i may not have to sell the mz ,i will contact tune boy to clarify ,aldso pm j2t he should know ,just hope my bikes running tomorrow ,hate using the car ,
GED

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 am

Sorry Ged it isn't me (J2T) although I have been involved in the forum exchanges.
It's a pity I am not at home in South Manchester where I have (on Boilermakers advice) a spare coil and relays.
I think from memory it was Cam and Zedhead that were actively involved with TuneBoy but the thread might have been about mapping/re-mapping. I intend to be a long term owner of my 1000 so will eventually have to source/build a suitable diagnostic tool. Grahams are very helpful but too far away for frequently occuring issues.
I did see an error code on my LCD last year (I think it was 0139 or 0159 and in a previous thread) about starting problems at the Stafford Show which in reality was a flat battery.
Please don't sell your bike, as I'd like some '1000 twin' back up when I go to Rivington Barn!!!!
Now here is a really perverse thing. My bike has been parked in the hallway all winter without an optimate, and starts on the button every three weeks or so!!!
Will be on the MZ club stand at Stafford April 25/26 with the 1000S and will put a big HELP wanted sign for SAGEM DIAGNOSTICS info.
John Axford will probably also be there with his orange SF but to my knowledge his has always run faultlessly.
Ownership will present challenges with less than 50 bikes in the UK

Regards to all.

J2T
johnny2tents

Postby djsbriscoe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 am

Hi,
These are the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) listed in the workshop manual for ignition coil faults

P0351 IGNITION COIL 1 MALFUNCTION
P0352 IGNITION COIL 2 MALFUNCTION
P1351 IGNITION COIL 1 OPEN CIRCUIT/SHORT CIRCUIT TO GROUND
P1352 IGNITION COIL 2 OPEN CIRCUIT/SHORT CIRCUIT TO GROUND
P1355 IGNITION COIL 1 SHORT CIRCUIT TO VBATT/OVER TEMP
P1356 IGNITION COIL 2 SHORT CIRCUIT TO VBATT/OVER TEMP

These are read using an Actia FR2000 diagnostic unit. Maybe any OBD2 unit would work. The manual only details how to use the 'offical' actia unit.
If you need any more info from the manual please ask (if you haven't got access to it yourself).
Maybe one of these tools could be used (with CAN upgrade to be on the safe side) to read the codes.

http://www.diydiagnostics.com/

David.

PS How is Rivington Barn these days? I grew up in Bolton and visited the barn regularly. Bolton is my Home Town. Small world isn't it?
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby mzsrus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am

hell, i a nearly too frightened to take my mz 1000s out now,

i try regularly start every 2/3 weeks, but this winter, went into my lush heated(minimal due to costs) garage and after 4 mths started first time, so far no problems, only with interlock switch many hyrs ago, so this person has my fingers crossed.
went out for ride yesterday, well over 140mph, the mz 1000s what a crackerjack of a bike.

I WOULD LOVE to have tuned and get bit faster, we will see, might go voer to faber in germany and have done, long ride 1700 miles,

bye for now,

crazy andy brecon beacons fastest mz around here i think and bike is still mint, at many biker cafes/pubs, they think it brand new!!
Owner of 10 old mz bikes from 1956 to 1976
new owner of Mz 1000s
mzsrus

Postby GED » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 am

hi ,well thanks for the input once again ,its sad news ,in my dinner break i returned home to pick up the coils and do a comparative test at work ,against the old ones ,astonishingly the electrician couldnt get a reading off the new coils either :cry: ,it turns out that when tested the pos probe on the multimeter goes on the spark plug end ,,neg goes on top conector end he failed to do this ,,hence he got a o.o reading ,tested the old coils the properway and they giving out a reading,so theres nothing wrong with them ,so because of a dumb ass sparkey i wasted 180 quid, :evil: , i really want to keep the bike so im going to buy a tuneboy only problem is when i go on tuneboy website i cant get the uk europe page ,,,are they still in buisness who do i buy one from ,,,

j2t i will hold you to a run to rivvey

rivinton is very very busy now ,its even slow going on a bike ,where in bolton did you come from

anyhow im off to fit the new coils ,,,,,who knows it may work :-D
GED

Postby GED » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:16 pm

well new coils aint cured it ,
does anyone know what voltage i should be getting from the coil connectors [the ones that clip into the coils]
GED

Postby zedhead » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi, Cam (South Warwickshire) and I (Sutton Coldfield) have the TuneBoy software and laptop, and currently it's at Cam's place. I'm wondering if an ECU reset will sort this problem. I'll call him later and see what he thinks.

TTFN

Zed
zedhead

Postby GED » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:39 pm

hi mate ,how do i do a re set
GED

Postby GED » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:43 pm

GED wrote:hi mate ,how do i do a re set

sorry for the quick post but i wanted to ask a few q.s b4 u went ,is the tune boy any good ,just been reading on other forums aprilia triumph amd ktm and some say its crap ,also noticed tb europe has closed down and its now only available in austrailia ,also read customer support is dire, will the tune boy detect the problems im getting ,,ie non starter ,sorry for the question mate but im desperate
GED

Postby daytona992 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Ged,
Sorry you are still having problems. Have you checked all the earth points. I would remove each earthing point, thoroughly clean all contacts, apply Dialectric grease and replace. Over the years I have had a number of electrical problems and each time although not instantly obvious turned out to be insufficient earthing contacts. Modern electronics also seem to require perfect earthing points as they are operating at low amps.
Good luck. Regards, Gary.
daytona992

Postby cam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi Ged - We have tuneboy software, a synchromate and two bikes with which to try swapping parts to find the problem. The tuneboy does have a good diagnostic side and should point to any problems without the need to run the engine! Up to you - we're certainly closer to you than Grahams is. :-D
cam

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S