It's a long winter

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

It's a long winter

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 am

It's a long winter for my silver 1000S. She's parked outside, under a cover. A straight edged hump of grey thick waterproof plastic rises under the dim street lamps, propped up by the folded mirrors. Gradually, the cover descends towards the back of the bike, caressing the top of the tank, before rising again to tightly outline the profile of the rear cowl. When it rains, water collects above the seat; a big, greenish patch of powdery mulch bears witness to the prevalent weather of this island.

The cover is too short, and the rear wheel is left partially exposed. The fat tyre peeks out from under the hem, its blue edges a souvenir of exciting past rides, its grooves holding the promise of more fun in the sun. It's tempting and vaguely immodest, which is why I park my rubbish bin in front of it. A chain threads through the front spoke, tying my baby to the brick wall like a nose-ringed big cow (a gazelle she's not, so I might be unflattering to her, but I am fair).

Patiently she waits for me, under the rain and through freezing fog. Since last October, when I returned the tax disc, life for her has been restricted to the few square feet of the parking lot. What a shame, for someone like her, with long legs and a mighty, generous heart.

When the weekend comes, I lift the plastic over, on one side, hook the battery charger and plug it in, via an extension lead that has to come all the way from the first floor via my room window. As I flick on the switch on the mains plug, the LEDs on the charger flicker rapidly, going from Charge to Maintain in just a few seconds. We spend some time in a bizarre pose; I lean in a pool of warm sunlight against my neighbour's wooden fence, staring at this white power cable that gives her a vital transfusion. I look at her, I savour her features, I run my willing eye over the many details of her body.

About once a month I give her a little treat. I open the lock, take the chain out and roll her a few yards back on the pavement. Then I mount on the seat, straighten the bars, put in the key and turn it two clicks to the right. What a joy to hear the whirring noise of the fuel pump priming the engine. What a sense of anticipation as the dials swing balletic around the clocks before coming back to their starting position. And what dread fills the air as the bars in the temperature gauge turn off one by one, and I pull the clutch in ready to fire her up. Will she do it ? Will she raise from her sleep, and fill the air with the powerful voice of her lungs ? Or will she cough, and sputter her way to a pathetic stop ?

Thumb pressed, I hear the grinding effort of the starter motor, so burdened and slow I can almost count the revolutions one by one. There's a lurch, a minuscule lull, and then, on the cusp of failure, something stirs inside and she comes back to life in all her mechanical crunchiness. Sometimes it takes a few attempts before she finally manages to keep awake and rumble her way through the fast idle. I let her run for a few minutes, now carefully feeding the gas, now letting her catch her breath undisturbed. I give her all the time she needs to warm up properly, letting the fans run a couple of times before I turn the key again and switch her off.

Once exercised, I turn her around and back into the parking space, thus ensuring the tyres are in a different position and won't get flat spots. The chain is locked, the cover gets tucked on the sides, the rubbish bin is replaced to protect her from passers-by. As I walk back into my room, I think that spring will not come one day too soon.

ride safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Re: It's a long winter

Postby boilermaker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Principe
how sickeningly romantic!
But well written.
boilermaker

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm

well written i do say
as i think he said in a post once Italy is where he is from ?????
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 am

Apologies for the above average sugar content, it really is excessive in some places.
Next time I'll add a health warning to avoid shocking the hardy blokes :-).

Ride Safe,

PS
You are right David, I am from Italy
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby aah5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Feel sorry for you fellas in the far northern climes of the world, having to put up with the long no ride winters. You all need to come down under to Australia, just the opposite, short winters and long summers, actually better riding in winter where I am, summer at present is a little too hot and humid, a real hassle putting on all the riding gear, OK when moving but is a like being slow cooked if you get caught in traffic. Only time I am jealous of the tintops and their air con, but it doesn't last long once out in hills and open countryside. Anyway winter doesn't last forever so get those bikes into a nice dry,warm area,don't leave them out in the cold and wet, and give them some TLC so that they are ready for the next ride.
aah5

Postby boilermaker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:59 pm

aah5
Lived there once 49-58. Didnt think any 1000s made it to aus?
boilermaker

Postby aah5 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:18 am

Your right, no 1000s's came down here except maybe one for a show in Sydney about 4-5 years ago. Pity, because i would have bought one but no chance now that the factory and the MZ agent here have gone. Have a Skorpion Tour which I will not part with. It's good to have a bike that is different and not be just another sheep in the flock of sports or cruiser clones that are infesting our roads.
aah5

Postby iceman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Nice story,here is a picture to go with it . I have three bikes in the shed and i leave this one out to take a spin if the weather is sunny and the roads are dry.

Only problem this winter is i have neither dry roads and few sunny days and to get the combination on the same day just hasn't happened much this winter.SOON !

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby iceman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:37 pm

This is what she looks like on a sunny summer day with no cloths on !!

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby boilermaker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:16 pm

iceman
Nice bike almost bought one instead of the MZ. My other bike is another twin, a Yamaha TRX 850. I suppose there is a price to pay for living in one of America's snowy regions!
boilermaker

Postby iceman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 pm

boilermaker wrote:iceman
Nice bike almost bought one instead of the MZ. My other bike is another twin, a Yamaha TRX 850. I suppose there is a price to pay for living in one of America's snowy regions!

I saw a few weeks ago the UK had a good snow storm,it was all over the news.I guess it's a change from all the RAIN !!! :roll:
John Lennon
iceman

Return to 1000S