mz rally at gairloch

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

mz rally at gairloch

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

MZ-Thistledown Scottish Rally 2009

1st - 3rd May 2009

Gairloch Caravan Park, Mihol Road, Gairloch, Wester Ross IV21 2BX

Wondering if any one here is thinking of going :?: Salt should be gone from the roads by then and its a fantastic ride, with cracking scenery
Attachments
road to gairloch loch maree.jpg
road to gairloch loch maree.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
tomtom

Re: mz rally at gairloch

Postby Norman Wade » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Norman Wade

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 pm

I think i'll need to join the mz club before i turn up. There are some cracking routes to take to get there , the likes of via glencoe ,applecross and torridon which then brings you out at kinlochewe on the shore of loch maree (photo). At least at that time of year the midges should be non existent.
A weekend away from the wife will be brilliant
tomtom

Postby Norman Wade » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 am

Hi tomtom,
No need to join the club, you'll be welcome at the rally whether a member or not. Here in Scotland a lot of non-members turn up at events, just come and enjoy yourself.
I've been a member of the MZRC for about 20 years, but I doubt that I'll renew my membership. Really, if you own one of the later 4 strokes there's not that much in the club for you, it's geared more towards the earlier 2 strokes.
The Glencoe - Ft William - Torridon route is really superb, and the way I went last time. There is also the options of Perth - Inverness - Achnasheen, and Perth - Dalwhinnie - Spean Bridge. All superb routes and it gives you the option of going one way and returning another.

See you there,

Norman
http://www.mzskorpion.net
Norman Wade

Postby tomtom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 pm

The old 2 strokes are great old bikes. Took a friends mz 250 outfit to the elefentreffen in austria . Fantastic little bike . Top speed about 60 if you were in the slipstream of a lorry, but most of all great fun in the snow.
tomtom

Postby johnny2tents » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Yep, I should be up for Gairloch. Might have to call via the Guzzi Rally near Perth.

Regards

J2T
johnny2tents

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:56 am

Tomtom,
Confirm am planning to do Gairloch on 'the thou' May 2/3/4 Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby tuxracer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:32 am

If some of you guys are going I'll take a run across either on the Saturday or Sunday and see if we can meet up. Would be good to see some of you as my chances of meeting any other owners up here are pretty slim!

Just a wee word of warning though for anybody heading up this way, our local boys in blue are having a purge with unmarked cars at the moment so take care. So far I've seen them with a black Focus RS, black Astra GSI and a plain metallic grey Focus estate. The first two look like boy racer motors with black out windows etc....pretty sneaky. They are patroling these nice remote country roads so take care.
tuxracer

Postby tomtom » Sun May 03, 2009 5:05 am

Stuck in bed all week with flu :( , did anyone go to Gairloch? It looked a bit wet according to the weather forecast.
tomtom

Postby Norman Wade » Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Yes, about 60 people made it despite appalling weather (VERY wet and windy). Although this was an MZ rally, very few people came on MZs - 2 Skorpions, 1 Mastiff, 2 Rotax 500s, and about 5 two strokes. Will post more details and some photos on my website soon.

Norman
http://www.mzskorpion.net
Norman Wade

Return to 1000S