fault code reader

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: fault code reader

Postby GED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:25 am

well i plugged the pc into the volvo and lo and behold got a fault code turbo acctuator solenoid came up as a code and description , anyhow im pleased with the product but i want more so ive spent all afternoon trying to source better programs so i can analise data diagnose faults plus other things ,click on links below i downloaded bth demos and the pcmscan works a treat tons of info ,then i tried the datapro tuner even more info and im not sure but i think you can change parameters like idle speed [i may be wrong ]the thing is the demo didnt work very well seems very bugged so i emailed them for some answers,it does actually say the software is under development ,i will definately buy one of these products ,the pcmscan costs about £40 which means i will of spent about £70 on a very competent fault code reader with the ability to perform many other tasks ,
ive also been on the volvo owners forum and been told volvo charge in excess of £90 to read 1 code :shock: i believe it to be money well spent
http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?pr ... CMSCAN-KEY

http://tunertools.com/Edge-Analysis-Data-Pro.asp
GED

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm

let us have a screenshot of the sofware when you've got time.

Interesting thing on one of the other forums, some of the manufacturers don't put an obd plug on their bikes but if the pins are wired correctly they have an obd reader. Just like a dewalt battery charger not accepting a bosch battery due to different charging shapes at the socket end. They just don't want us to look beyond our wallet.
tomtom

Postby GED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:59 pm

got a tunertools email

Hi Ged,
The EDGE DataPro software was something we were trying out in beta version and we've not had good experiences with it. We've decided not to sell DataPro software and suggest you stick with PCMSCAN

We'll be removing the references to DataPro from the website as soon as I have a few minutes to do so.

so it looks like i will be getting the pcmscan

which screen hot do you want if its the scantool.com one go to there web site ,downloads and you can download the same program as what came with my code reader, just install it and then you can have a look yourself see if u like it
GED

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:02 pm

ok i'll give it a go
tomtom

Postby GED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:07 pm

tom try the scantool one then try the tunertools one ,if u just want a faultcode reader stay with the scantools
GED

Postby boilermaker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:59 pm

LWS
LORIN?
The problem with using pencil coils for this application would seem to be a combination of location and our appalling climate! Putting a high tension coil down in to a deep recess in the cylinder head of a motorcycle then filling it with water does not seem a very intelligent thing to do, but then since when have automobile/motorcycle manufacturers shown any intelligence when it comes to electrics. In 50 years of owning/riding motorcycles of all makes and nationalities I have come to despair of the total lack of progress on basic requirements such as bloody waterproofing! And its not difficult, most components are available off the shelf at any marine/intrinsically safe electrical manufacturers. I do not think that high mileages are too important a factor as 20,000 miles in arizona summer coditions (lets leave out the flash floods) would hardly be a test. A trawl around a sample of motorcycle forums has revealed (to me it would seem) that Benelli,Morini,Triumph, Ducati owners are experiencing similar problems. I may be getting old but I see a lot of sophistication for its own sake creeping in to automotive products. Anyway I spent a relaxing few hours last sunday following a friend 90 miles up a motorway on his "Harleyton" (a 1943 flathead Harley engine in 1960 Norton frame) a steady 75-80 mph was maintained and all that was required upon reaching destination was a short tweak of the head bolts to cure a minor gasket leak. The joys of mechanical simplicity!
boilermaker

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:10 am

Hi Ged,

Got the box of trix you recommended (Scan tool software) Quite impressed for £30. It works OK and gives the fault codes and descriptions (where generic) when you simulate faults. Will give you RPM, throttle position, other parameters etc when the bike is running too. Havn't looked at the other 'third party software' quoted in the blurb yet.
I guess the MZ software gives extra descriptive info for specific MZ fault codes.
Also bought TomToms fault code reader to put under the seat. This allows resets too.
Suppose I'm going to get involved in mapping/exhaust gas analysis etc next!
Glad the bike is going. See you at Stafford where a small group of 'dirty contact pagans' will be on their knees pointing pieces of bone at the sprocket area??? Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:58 am

In conversation with a local bike dealer i mentioned about the obd socket on the bike and he told me i was talking through my a***. I had to take the bike along to prove my mouth was actually where my a*** was.
Said he'd never seen one on a bike before? He still doesn't believe a cheap reader gets the fault codes.
tomtom

Postby GED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:36 am

tomtom wrote:In conversation with a local bike dealer i mentioned about the obd socket on the bike and he told me i was talking through my a***. I had to take the bike along to prove my mouth was actually where my a*** was.
Said he'd never seen one on a bike before? He still doesn't believe a cheap reader gets the fault codes.
tom r u sure this dude is a dealer of bikes ,if so can i have his details,just so i never send a bike there :shock:
GED

Postby GED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:42 am

johnny2tents wrote:Hi Ged,

Got the box of trix you recommended (Scan tool software) Quite impressed for £30. It works OK and gives the fault codes and descriptions (where generic) when you simulate faults. Will give you RPM, throttle position, other parameters etc when the bike is running too. Havn't looked at the other 'third party software' quoted in the blurb yet.
I guess the MZ software gives extra descriptive info for specific MZ fault codes.
Also bought TomToms fault code reader to put under the seat. This allows resets too.
Suppose I'm going to get involved in mapping/exhaust gas analysis etc next!
Glad the bike is going. See you at Stafford where a small group of 'dirty contact pagans' will be on their knees pointing pieces of bone at the sprocket area??? Cheers J2T
i got 3rd party software http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?pr ... CMSCAN-KEY its pretty cool in fact theres a ton of features some i will never use ,but im a firm believer in overkill ;-) ive read and cleared faults on me volvo and me mates mitsubishi ,total cost less than£85 for everything ,as u say johhny boy,flashing ecu"s next
:wink: :wink:
GED

Previous

Return to 1000S