fault code reader

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: fault code reader

Postby GED » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:55 am

well done tt and j2t :smt023 tom glad it works does it give the code or code and fault description .if you want to replicate a fault code turn on the ignition and pull a fuse [instruments] only slightly enough to replicate a bad connection i think you will then register a fault code i think its the same as flat battery ,

j2t ,good work very interested about the maps [going for a look now] any more info greatly appreciated,ps tell us how u get on with the lap top diagnostics ,once again thanks for taking the time to look into problems i seemed to of aired :wink:
GED

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 pm

mine only gives the fault code because its only a cheap one, but there is about 6 pages of codes and the ones in the mz manual are identical.
The only thing i can do with mine is to find a fault code and reset or leave for the dealer or diy mechanic to look at. It's important i think not to delete the info too soon unless your sure the fault is identified.

Is your bike in sunny :smt004 devon yet ged?
tomtom

Postby GED » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:27 pm

bikes in taunton on monday morning ,hopfully a quick fix ,i deserve some good luck,then hopefully get a quick return via the courier [thats the big time delay]i just bought one of the code readers i saw as it will work on the volvo [ :shock: ]as well ,its got a sensor for everything ,,

ps johnny cant find those maps u mentioned
GED

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Now i'm like a fish hooked.
I want to see what the dealer sees when they service the bike, all the bells and whistles. Can't beat fixing your own bike .I wonder if the wife's got a obd socket :smt005
tomtom

Postby GED » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 pm

tomtom wrote:Now i'm like a fish hooked.
I want to see what the dealer sees when they service the bike, all the bells and whistles. Can't beat fixing your own bike .I wonder if the wife's got a obd socket :smt005

THATS why i wanted to get hold of the tuneboy ,run diagnostics and remap ,plus a lot of other things ,first thing s first though ,i just want me mz back ,i really miss her :( then i want to read fault codes not rely on good ol ghraham ,then i want to remove the cats k +n filter remap stiffer front springs then ill be happy , oh yes and that little matter of bloody coils ,but a trip down the local scrappy will fix that ;-)
GED

Postby boilermaker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am

Tom
Grahams workshop is in Taunton, the county town of sunny Somerset, (of Cider apple fame) not Devon.
boilermaker

Postby johnny2tents » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 am

Ged,

Re Maps. From the German site home page select 1000S from the index on the LHS (halfway down?) and scroll through the 8? pages. It's in there somewhere. J2T
johnny2tents

Postby johnny2tents » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 am

Attached is response from Ian of Grahams regarding an enquiry about the officially factory listed diagnostic kit at £1600.

Hi John..

I understand your concerns over diagnostic machines. Please note these machines are only available to buy by registered dealers, and as far as i am aware, we are the only dealer in the country that bought one !!
At first, MZ did have a unit which was ' floating around' from dealer to dealer as required, but i could never find it...!!! I think that one has now been returned to the factory. So we bought our own. Unfortunately, due to its cost we do not 'loan' this one out, as we cannot afford to loose it.
Hopefully , now MZ has been sold back to German hands, a dealer network will appear again, but until then we are the only dealer in the uk with a diagnostic unit......

Sorry i cannot be of more help....

Ian

Grahams Motorcycles, Taunton, Somerset, UK
johnny2tents

Postby GED » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

johnny2tents wrote:Ged,

Re Maps. From the German site home page select 1000S from the index on the LHS (halfway down?) and scroll through the 8? pages. It's in there somewhere. J2T
doh i was looking at sf :? bikes just been picked up,and its going to be gone atleast 2 weeks due to courier being fully booked :smt079
GED

Postby GED » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:11 am

johnny2tents wrote: now MZ has been sold back to German hands, a dealer network will appear again,

does anyone else share this optimism
GED

Postby tomtom » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am

Don't despair, oh bye the way tried the obd reader on the wife and it came up with the following fault code. gbnb 02
looked up mz manual but no code there.
Tried playboy and there it was staring me in the face Get brand new bimbo series 2
I've ordered one but i might keep the old one for spares :smt043
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Well lads
I also purchased a cheapo fault reader and it did indicate an old fault indication of a failed coil. Deleted this one but fault code returned later. Looks like another bloody coil on the way out! Will look more seriously in to fitting seperate coils/plug caps.
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Strange how all of a sudden (at least it seems so the other side of the pond) we have coils packing it in. What kind of miles are we talking here before they go kaput? My bike has been subjected to mostly dry riding (only once in a downpour) and the coils have been coated to a liberal coating of dielectric grease....so they still look as good as new. Some insight into mileage covered, riding conditions, and issues/failures would be interesting? :smt017
LWS66

Postby GED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:16 am

well just got my fcr,,, in the box is a small metal interface stamped ecu-pro 400, usb lead ,and interface/obd2 cable ,it is using scantool software v1.13 compatible with the elm327 chipset ,this is freeware ,i havnt connected it to the car yet as i dont think it will work with a 2003 diesel ,i will have to check with the volvo owners forum,anyhow it seems to be a very simple progrm to use although it does not display freeze frame date or faults [not to be confused with fault codes] for these features you will have to upgrade ,although scantool.com will not support the ecu-pro400 interface,i did a google of elm327 software and there seems to be lots of 3rd party software to expand and utilise even more features is it a bargain ,so far it appears to be especially for 30 quid

http://www.easyobdii.com/index.php?act= ... roductId=6
http://www.scantool.net/
http://www.tuning.it/scanmaster.php?l=e
http://www.obd-ii.de/screenpcm.html
http://www.ecuworld.com/
GED

Postby GED » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:28 am

forgot to mention when i was looking at various programs ive seen 2 identical programs 1 cost 20 quid the other 90 quid so it pays to look ,it seems the 1st link easyobd2 offers the best value @ 10.50 but the scantool xl looks a very good program but wont work with the pro400 as this is 3rd party hardware so im looking for a indipendant copy of this
GED

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S