Frustration (moan alert)

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Frustration (moan alert)

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:32 am

Good morning all,

I'm so frustrated at the moment. I left my 1000 S with Paul at Gardner & White for a service, new tyres, and a change of the front sprocket (I'm going back to 17/43). This was in mid March. Everything is ready, but the sprocket. Since the new takeover by Herr Waldmann and Co. tings have apparently ground to a halt in the spares department. Graham's have not received any spares for a few weeks, and they have been told that their order, which includes my sprocket, might be shipped on the week of April 20th.
I had a lovely trip to the Eifel region in Germany planned for the WE of the25/26 April, but looks like the bike wont' be ready in time, and it will be some time before I can rearrange that trip. According to Graham there are no suitable replacements for the sprocket, so I'm stuck with waiting for the factory to sort itself out and finally ship the part.
It's a good thing I like riding the bike so much, because at times like this one would be really tempted to ask what's the point in persevering with it*.

Ride Safe,

*I'm joking. Well, almost.
IlPrincipeBrutto

Re: Frustration (moan alert)

Postby LWS66 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:41 am

No need for frustration, if it's the front sprocket just get one for a 1998-2005 Honda VTR 1000F Super Hawk (as well as many other Honda models...like a 2000-2005 RC51) Dime a dozen, plenty of aftermarket options as well. Be up and riding later today! :smt006

P.S. I've got a Vortex brand front spocket on mine....listed as fitting the above bikes. Don't let them tell you otherwise :-D
LWS66

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 am

Hi LWS66,

apparently though the Honda sprockets are 1.5mm wider at the shaft.
To be honest, if that's the case I'm not confident enough to take the chance. I'll just have to wait.
But many thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated.

Ride Safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:50 am

Sprockets available at MZ Faber Moterradtechnik.Zell
J2T
johnny2tents

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Sorry spelt it wrong should be MZ Faber Motorradtechnik.Zell 15/16 or 17T fronts are less than 30 Euros. Have rears as well. J2T
johnny2tents

Postby tuxracer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Like LWS I've been using a Honda sprocket for the last 3500 miles and never had any problems. However if your stuck I've got my original 17t sprocket (done about 3k and is in good condition) and would be happy to post it down to you rather than see you miss your holiday. Drop me a pm if you want it.
tuxracer

Postby GED » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:46 pm

I CHANGED MY 17T SPROCKET WHEN I SERVICED MY BIKE ITS 2500K OLD ,URS IF U WANT IT ,
GED

Postby GED » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:48 pm

GED wrote:I CHANGED MY 17T SPROCKET WHEN I SERVICED MY BIKE ITS 2500K OLD ,URS IF U WANT IT ,
OBVIOUSLY I WILL POST IT :-D
GED

Postby boilermaker » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:38 pm

IPB
Well IPB you seem to be up to your neck in advice and offers. I would suggest that you do not look a gift horse in the mouth (as they say) and take someone up on an offer!
boilermaker

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 am

What can I say ? I am gobsmacked.
To be honest, unless I can get the part to my dealer by Saturday morning (April 18th), I wont' be able to do my trip anyway, as I can only go and collect the bike at WEs. But I think I will take one of the offers anyway, to have a backup in case the MZ factory is unable to keep its delivery schedule.
I've sent an MP to the relevant person. To all the others, I can only offer a heart-felt thank you.

Ride Safe,
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby GED » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 am

LWS66 wrote:
P.S. I've got a Vortex brand front spocket on mine....listed as fitting the above bikes. Don't let them tell you otherwise :-D
quite true ordered a new front 16t sprock last week off graham and the new item came in a vortex bag ,
GED

Postby LWS66 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 pm

I was told by MZ people here (back when we had a distributor) that the sprockets (MZ and the specific Honda) were interchangable. I believe that any differences in width would be manufacturing tolerances amongst the different manufacturers.....and at the most would be insignificant, as any chain will have a measurable amount of "side play" on any given sprocket.......at least from what I've seen.[quote="GED"][quote="LWS66"]

P.S. I've got a Vortex brand front spocket on mine....listed as fitting the above bikes. Don't let them tell you otherwise :-D[/quote]quite true ordered a new front 16t sprock last week off graham and the new item came in a vortex bag ,[/quote]
LWS66

Return to 1000S