oil change

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: oil change

Postby Linegeist » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 am

iceman wrote:How old is that ancient diesel Citroen ?

It's got a lot of glass and look real clean.

Why thank you kind sir! <blush> I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Citroen nut ....... :-)

The BX in the pic is actually a '93 so not a classic in the true sense yet .............. but she's a a TZD Estate - the quickest diesel they made - and they're pretty rare now, so quite collectable. Mine was one of the last BX's made, and they have quite a cult following over here. I was lucky enough to pick this one up from its original owner when he gave up driving and it has just 70,000 miles on the clock. Just run-in then ........... :wink:

When I lived in France I had a Mk1 GT - and that was beautiful. :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
Linegeist

Postby boilermaker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:06 am

iceman/john
My friend Dr Baker has serious reservations re the statement that SAE numbers are or can be just a marketing ploy, and without going in to some advanced petrochemistry he advises sticking to the machine manufacturers recommendations. He also (like me) has an aversion to sweeping statements, as I have learned that the more I know, the more there is to know.
George
boilermaker

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 am

oh my god an other oil thread !!!
put Shell Rotella T of the motorcycle factory recommended weight and be done with it ..
i use it in ever thing
except for my VW diesel car
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby boilermaker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Mr Thompson
No this is not ANOTHER oil thread. If you refer back through this OIL THREAD you will find that I promised Iceman that I would get back to him as soon as I had consulted an old friend who is/was a petrochemical scientist (in fact an "oil designer").
boilermaker

Postby Linegeist » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:52 pm

George, you're sooooo lucky he's not subjecting you to a lecture on what he uses in his 125 ............. :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's been a fascinating and highly informative thread - ignore the American guy. He's just jealous. :wink:
Linegeist

Postby iceman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 pm

boilermaker wrote:iceman/john
My friend Dr Baker has serious reservations re the statement that SAE numbers are or can be just a marketing ploy, and without going in to some advanced petrochemistry he advises sticking to the machine manufacturers recommendations. He also (like me) has an aversion to sweeping statements, as I have learned that the more I know, the more there is to know.
George

George forward your friend the link and did you mention for synthetic only,he's only talking about synthetic.

And ya,ignore that other guy from America... :mrgreen: What's the problem the server getting overloaded with post about a company that no longer exists ?
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm

i am only jealous if they have a 2cv and will not sell it to me
dave
below is as close as i can get
http://grumlt.citrina.lt/CitroPasakos/T ... en_2cv.jpg
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby iceman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Dave Whatever...
Last edited by iceman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby SlipperySam » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 am

Agreed that fully synthetic is good stuff for all the reasons others have mentioned but I have one reservation, brand new motors. Is it so good, it slows/prevents the bedding in of new engine components, particularly the piston and bore? I realise today's machining tolerances mean the old concept of "running in" has changed somewhat but some bedding in will occur nevertheless. Would you put fully synthetic in a brand new motor?
SlipperySam

Postby boilermaker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 am

Slippery
Not a good idea methinks!
boilermaker

Postby Linegeist » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 am

There's certainly a school of thought that would agree with you there, and there have been some respected engine builders and tuners who have clearly stated their preference for running-in an engine using a good quality mineral oil, draining it after a relatively short period (along with any particulates in suspension) and only then using a synthetic lubricant.

Regardless of advances in engineering, moving parts that are in contact, even with an oil film seperating them, will always bed-in ... even if that bedding-in is at a molecular level and anything that inhibits that runs the risk of compromising the machine in question. Piston rings are an obvious example where bedding-in relative to the bore needs to happen fairly quickly in the engine's life. Failure to achieve this state will result in excessive blowby and possibly contamination and gumming of the ring grooves as a result. Once a 'perfect' lapped seal has taken place in the bore, then wear needs to be kept to a minimum.

To me, this would suggest that the initial running-in of a new or rebuilt engine using a mineral oil is a good idea.
Linegeist

Postby bikeseamus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:49 am

Magnetic drain bolts from old junk Yamaha shaft drive differentials thread right in...checker out, Bubbas and Bubettes.

These can install into My SRX 600 oil tank as well, and couldn't care less how many MICRONS the particle is.

One FERROUS MOLECULE is OUTA THERE!!!
yup.

I have scoured the bikeyards around Indy for years to get these things and have given most of them away as motorhead party favors... and I'll bet a RARE EARTH magnet glued to a standard Yamaha differential bolt...filler bolt or bottom bolt from an old shaftie Yammer from the late 70s or 80s will work JUST (no JEST) fine.

easy as pie, too.... and CHEAP!! Hillbilly Hoosier Motorhead in Indy...

Jimmy Connors (Bikeseamus)
I am grateful for the TDM wire disconnect reply... yup.
bikeseamus

Postby nikitino » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Man, that is a sweet looking Citroen.....
nikitino

Postby iceman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm

Well if you like myself are experiencing global warming :-D :-D :-D YA right !!

Anyway this is a few years old but very interesting.Written by I'm guessing a British National and well written.I got a few tips from it...John

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html It also talks about bikes and magnets,etc.etc.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

i've just picked up 12 litres of shell advance sx 4 stroke mineral oil. (not synthetic).

I was just going to use it to put in an engine thats not being used at present. Since these oils were at one time top notch (before synthetics) whats to stop it being used in the mz 1000 engine as long as the oil change intervals are shorter. I know folks will say it's worth an extra few quid for peace of mind, but it's not scooter oil or some obscure brand from tesco or halfords own labels.

With speed camera vans etc . its harder to ride fast all day long, so the number of times the engine is operating at peak power is pretty low.

Hein gericke for instance sell fully synthetic oil 4 litres for £21.99 (2009 catalogue) but its labled with there own branding, so don't know who makes it. At this price it seems like a good buy if it is really a "true " synthetic.

No tech talk replies, shear values, load characteristics, viscositity index etc George you have been warned :?

by the way george do you have that white stuff :smt005 down there that seems to be making the national news.
tomtom

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S